Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times

Advertisements

Building costs are high in California because it's the last vestage of communism in the entire world.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 04:07 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Yes, we can? or something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Building costs are high in California because it's the last vestage of communism in the entire world.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
You also need to figure in construction codes regarding earthquakes, fires and snow loads.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Did the Chinese get shed of Communism? Wow, don't know how i missed that.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
To the OP,

Your posts have me laughing. It's called planned obsolescence. Carpenter? What carpenter? Come visit. Do a five minute walk through any house in 90% of non-custom new construction and you will see exactly why construction costs are so low. There is no corner that has not been cut. Did I say corner? Corner, I am laughing again. Houses are built to last 10-20 years - there's no shortage of land, and people in Texas are quite right to be scared of buying a "second-hand/used house." I have lived on 4 continents, and in my opinion, new houses are cheap here because they are the worst-built middle-class housing in the world! Some combination of minimal code, unscrupulous developers who employ unskilled, undocumented workers and pay them very little, sometimes neglect to pay them at all and uneducated consumers who know and care about nothing except newness, scale and proximity to schools with good test scores. New construction is definitely cheap here.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
To the OP,

Your posts have me laughing. It's called planned obsolescence. Carpenter? What carpenter? Come visit. Do a five minute walk through any house in 90% of non-custom new construction and you will see exactly why construction costs are so low. There is no corner that has not been cut. Did I say corner? Corner, I am laughing again. Houses are built to last 10-20 years - there's no shortage of land, and people in Texas are quite right to be scared of buying a "second-hand/used house." I have lived on 4 continents, and in my opinion, new houses are cheap here because they are the worst-built middle-class housing in the world! Some combination of minimal code, unscrupulous developers who employ unskilled, undocumented workers and pay them very little, sometimes neglect to pay them at all and uneducated consumers who know and care about nothing except newness, scale and proximity to schools with good test scores. New construction is definitely cheap here.
Again, depends on the builder and the cost. A $100K KB house will be in pretty sad shape in 10 - 20 years (in fact, a 30 yr old $100K house will be a better bet). A $350K Highland or Trendmaker? No.

There are some pretty nice homes in Houston that are over 40 years old, or older. We can't brag about 200 year old homes - the city itself is too young.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Again, depends on the builder and the cost. A $100K KB house will be in pretty sad shape in 10 - 20 years (in fact, a 30 yr old $100K house will be a better bet). A $350K Highland or Trendmaker? No.

There are some pretty nice homes in Houston that are over 40 years old, or older. We can't brag about 200 year old homes - the city itself is too young.
I agree that a forty year old house will generally be much better built than a new one!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
really lax building codes esp in outlying counties...the city has codes but many counties do not. Most people who buy out in bfe dont know this but its true.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
To the OP,

I was told by a friend from Houston that homes there don't last long because of the climate, but you're saying it's because of poor worksmanship and cost cutting. Here in Calif, homes can last 50-70 years with a couple of roof replacements, repaintings, etc, and interior updating. But I figured the long lifespan was because our climate is dry so homes don't rot, not because builders here are better. As an example of how long things last, a typical wood fence here will last 15-25 years; I heard in Dallas & Houston, its lifespan is 10 years. I would attribute that mostly to climate.

Regardless... if homes there only last 10-20 years, then what do home owners do? They just pack up and move to a new home every 20 years? Or tear down their house and rebuild?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 AM

My house and my fence, both in excellent condition, are 26 years old. If cared for it will last a 100 years. When we replaced the siding with Hardie I was stunned by the framing. Never saw so many 2'6's. The fence is good cedar, and the post are sunk well into the ground. I knew the house was good because I knew the builder's reputation In most places you get what you pay for.
The problem in Houston is that buyers want it shining new and cheap. They do not care about slabs and framing. All they see is granite and stainless steel.
The first new house I bought here had silly moldings all over the dining room. We could not hang art. I ask the builder why moldings and not double paned windows? He answered no one here cared about windows. That was 1974. That house is still standing and in good shape. But most buyers still do not give a durn about windows and framing and slabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston