Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times

Advertisements

You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

209 posts, read 521,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Hi all,
I' am coming back to Houston this weekend. I spent the last weekend enjoyng the natural aspects of Houston (i.e. went hiking and gator watching at Brazos Bend State Park both days I was in the area and went to other natural areas), now I want to enjoy the city itself. I want to get good shots of the downtown, uptown and other skylines in the area and just need to know where would be some good areas to do so.

Also, I got a good idea of where the Museum, Historical, and Art districts are at, I just need some ideas on Souvenier shops for purchasing stuff like Houston T-shirts, window stickers, ect. and suggestions on good restaurants. I will be staying at a hotel near Uptown, but will spend a good amount of time in downtown as well. Thanks!
Okay, lets start with places to get great shots of downtown.

1. 288 coming up on 59 by pearland will give you a view (on a clear day) of Uptown, TMC, and Downtown....Making it look like all one continues stretch of skyline. its a beautiful shot if you can get it that far out, and is one of my favorite views. Can get a similar shot a little closer to 610 south and 288.

2. Tinsley park is a nice shot as well.

3. Hilton Americas- Pool balcony....if you can get up there without the card, it is worth it.

4. Observation decks on the Wells Fargo and JP Morgan Chase towers.

5. Sabine street lofts- Either the top of the parking garage or ontop of the building. You may have to call them to schedule something if you want the top of the lofts, but i think you can get to the top of the parking garage uncontested.

6. Harris County Court house parking garage very top.

Good resturants-

1. Niko Niko's

2. Frenchy's Fried Chicken in Third ward (are you going to have a car, cause your going to need one. Go during the day, Scott gets bad after dark. )

both must haves.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,140,864 times
Since you will be staying in the Galleria area, just drive down Allen Parkway or Memorial to downtown right at dusk. Beautiful refections off the skyscaper windows. There are a few places to pull over.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,787,481 times
Hey everyone thanks for the info! The only other question I have is about observation deck access for some of the taller buildings. Someone on here hinted that I could access the observation deck at the JP Morgan Chase Tower, but would I be able to access the observation deck at other Towers such as the Williams Tower?

I know that major corportations reside in the tallest buildings so I don't know if I would be able to just walk into those buildings and take the elevator all the way to the observation deck without someone asking me what I' am doing there.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,782,204 times
I used to work in Rice Village and had to park on the upper level of the parking garage and there they have awesome views of Downtown, Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza, and Uptown. I think there is a souvenier shop in the food court area of the Galleria below the stairs.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM

153 posts, read 323,931 times
Its only 4 miles? It seems like its more then that. I manage to walk to the construction zone of precint 6. I walk a little further but it seems to go on forever. I was a little nervous because the part under the bridge looks scary. I walk with my german shepherd but don't still feel safe under that bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston