Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times

Advertisements

And they're of and running, backwards, again. Hey Uncle Drayton: either sell it or spend some money, cuz this team sucks again.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie
And they're of and running, backwards, again.
Wrong. Dead wrong. What you're seeing is redirecting a franchise that has been running backwards for five seasons back into a forward direction. When they traded away Oswalt and Berkman, the Astros turned a page that needed to be turned right after the '05 World Series.

I'm feeling lazy, and something I put out a few months ago is applicable here so I'll just cut-n-paste:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me @ someplace that is not city-data
They (Houston fans) get no respect or credit because they don't deserve it, by and large. They don't deserve it because they're some of the least knowledgeable fans in the country. They latch on to individual players like they're married to them, and would just as soon watch the same old guys play until they're over 40 and past the productive stage of their careers, just because they helped the team get to the playoffs years ago, than embrace the next generation of talent.
What you're seeing right now is the result of Uncle Drayton obliging this sizable portion of the fanbase. It's not that he didn't spend money. He pitched loads of it to Biggio when he was playing just to get to 3,000 hits, whatever the cost to the franchise not just in salary but in wasting prospects at second base. He's still forking it over to Carlos Lee. He sold the rest of the farm for an aging Miguel Tejada. Hey, people here wanted big names instead of accepting that a youth movement was necessary.

And finally, it's starting.

Go Astros

Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Wrong. Dead wrong. What you're seeing is redirecting a franchise that has been running backwards for five seasons back into a forward direction. When they traded away Oswalt and Berkman, the Astros turned a page that needed to be turned right after the '05 World Series.

I'm feeling lazy, and something I put out a few months ago is applicable here so I'll just cut-n-paste:

What you're seeing right now is the result of Uncle Drayton obliging this sizable portion of the fanbase. It's not that he didn't spend money. He pitched loads of it to Biggio when he was playing just to get to 3,000 hits, whatever the cost to the franchise not just in salary but in wasting prospects at second base. He's still forking it over to Carlos Lee. He sold the rest of the farm for an aging Miguel Tejada. Hey, people here wanted big names instead of accepting that a youth movement was necessary.

And finally, it's starting.

Go Astros

Gotta love true fans, and you are one. But... meh, I don't buy it.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 AM

193 posts, read 436,976 times
At least the Aeros are in the playoffs!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM

102 posts, read 185,700 times
This team reminds me a lot of the early 90's Astros. Nobody liked the youth movement then either, but now, 20 years later, no one can dispute the talent that poured out of it. Bagwell, Biggio, Caminiti, Finley, Gonzalez, Hampton, Harnisch, Portugal, Wagner, Lofton, Garcia, Abreu, Hidalgo, and others....

Granted, not all of them stayed here, and there were definitely mistakes made, but you can't name me a single major league organization (in any sport) that hasn't made personnel mistakes.

It's going to be an interesting season.....

Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,029,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
At least the Aeros are in the playoffs!
Who?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmedic View Post
This team reminds me a lot of the early 90's Astros. Nobody liked the youth movement then either, but now, 20 years later, no one can dispute the talent that poured out of it. Bagwell, Biggio, Caminiti, Finley, Gonzalez, Hampton, Harnisch, Portugal, Wagner, Lofton, Garcia, Abreu, Hidalgo, and others....

Granted, not all of them stayed here, and there were definitely mistakes made, but you can't name me a single major league organization (in any sport) that hasn't made personnel mistakes.

It's going to be an interesting season.....
I thought about this the other day, but while I don't mind the team sucking IF there was a wholesale youth movement, I don't consider Bill Hall at $3mil as the starting 2nd sacker part of the solution. Or maybe 30-somethings like Nelson Figueroa (36, actually) taking up a warm spot in the rotation or never-beens like Michaels or Ingrett taking up OF spots that would have gone to good draft picks if Uncle Drayton was into signing them for decent money...ah, but I digress.

So, basically...yawn and when do Aeros playoff ducketts go on sale.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Bill Hall is a one-year stopgap, and $3M isn't that much anymore. It's a move made necessary by having wasted/traded possible longer-term solutions at 2B over the last couple years. Sure I'd rather have had Ben Zobrist there - despite his struggles since a strong 2009 season - than Hall. But five years ago Drayton was delusional enough to think the team was one acquisition away from going back to the World Series and somehow came up with the idea that said acquisition was Aubrey Huff. With nobody to come up and fill a spot, you're stuck with retreads like Hall.

They really should have traded Oswalt and/or Berkman back then, when they had the kind of value that would make teams part with some of their best prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston