Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times

Advertisements

Colorado has next to nothing in terms of higher education. Undergrad at UC-Denver and Boulder is nice but it's like Walmart for the state. Med school, law, business, one stop shop. It's better to move around.

UT is awesome, A&M is okay but despite the rivalries everyone knows UT carries more name recognition outside of the South. Not much on the West but a good deal on the East. You have to be somewhere in the Deep South and say A&M and people know it for academics over just sports. UT it's both. (this coming from someone who's not gun-ho psycho crazy loving on EITHER school)

That being said, sure instate tuition is better but as far as raising a family and just general living I'd move to Colorado. Though I have issues with snow and sunshine and Denver is too sunny for me. If it's ice cold I like it looking gray outside not sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:20 AM

17 posts, read 31,793 times
I have lived in Colorado my whole life- Colorado Springs for 10 years, Denver area for 5. I hate the winters here, well really, it's "winter" here for 9 months out of the year (snowing right now at the end of April). So here's my input...

1) are Houston summers or Colorado winters more severe? I would say the unnecessarily long winters in Colorado.
2) what would we miss most in Colorado that is not avail in TX? The mountains are nice, and the summers are fantastic, but short.
3) would you rather live the next 20 yrs in CO or Houston? Houston, definitely.
4) considering our kids' futures, doesn't TX have a lot more to offer for higher education opportunities? I believe TX would be the better choice.
5) we have an established circle of friends in CO...are Kingwood/TW areas friendly to newcomers or fairly tight knit? Haven't experinced that yet, we're moving to Sugar Land in a week. The people seemed generally nice though.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movetohouston? View Post
1) are Houston summers or Colorado winters more severe?
2) what would we miss most in Colorado that is not avail in TX?...other than skiing
3) would you rather live the next 20 yrs in CO or Houston?
4) considering our kids' futures, doesn't TX have a lot more to offer for higher education opportunities?
5) we have an established circle of friends in CO...are Kingwood/TW areas friendly to newcomers or fairly tight knit?
6) please tell all...we don't have to move so trying to make an informed decision...

THANK YOU SO MUCH...our little family appreciates your input
I lived in Colorado Springs for over 20 years and currently living in Houston for almost 7 years now (moved here in 2004). As far as the comparisons and the questions. My responses are below.

1) Houston's summers are equivalent to Colorado winters. Houston has about 3-4 months of heat and humidity true, but that problem is often remedied by not going outside until the evenings and staying inside behind air conditioning most of the day. Much the same way you stay in a heated car and building during a CO winter. Also add to the fact you have to allow extra time to warm your car. Just different times of the year, that's all.

2. What Colorado has that's not avail in TX: big beautiful mountains, breathtaking hills and scenery, Crisp air, and clear skies. Not saying Houston doesn't ever have days of clear skies, but not as often. Houston has greenery and beaches nearby.

3. Would i rather live in CO for the next 20 yrs or Houston? I would have to say Colorado but only if i was near the Denver metro area. I can't do Colorado Springs anymore but also understand i'm biased. Lived in Colorado Springs all my life.

4. Don't know much about education becuse i don't have kids, but i hear that Colorado is ahead in this category. Houston has great colleges though.

5. Not hard to make friends in Houston area, just like in Colorado. Just find groups that share a common interest and you'll do fine. Matter fact, you'll find more diverse groups of peolpe in Houston that share more of your common interests.

6. Both are great. Houston is growing much faster than Colorado (more people in metro Houston than the whole state of Colorado, so there's going to be more good and more bad. Houston is working toward becoming world class status so there's even more things to come. I like them both personally, but entertainment wise, Colorado Springs doesn't compare, but outdoor activities wise, Colorado Springs is superior.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM

346 posts, read 739,191 times
This is a tough one to answer without alot of writing. The only advantages I can see of houston over colorado would be a slightly more "city feel" if thats what you like. The only advantage I can give colorado is its summer weather and its scenery within a short drive and during day trips. I like the gulf coast but its not as pretty as the rockies but it can be very enjoyable around memorial day, labor day ect ect. Education it would probably be a draw, if you like a well wooded area then you'll like the kingwood atascocita area. But I would also consider memorial and some of the inner loop as it is a prettier area of the city. Houstons a very large city so try not to get lost in the sprawl too much, especially with gas flying up to 4 bucks a gallon. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,472 times
Hi- We lived in Highlands ranch for about 6 years and absolutely loved it. we have been in N Houston (Montgomery) for 7 months and have quickly made this home. The school my 1st grader attend is awesome, pre school for my 3 year old has been terrific and I am amazed at how quickly our neighbors have become friends.

Colorado winters would be much shorter in length than the heat here in Texas. Your time span for outdoor activities is much longer where you are. And you absolutely must have a pool for your kids to enjoy the summer.

If the opportunity is great than go for it. We have lived in Florida, DC, Louisiana, and Tx and while Colorado rates a our favorite, Texas is not far behind.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I lived in Colorado Springs for over 20 years and currently living in Houston for almost 7 years now (moved here in 2004). As far as the comparisons and the questions. My responses are below.

1) Houston's summers are equivalent to Colorado winters. Houston has about 3-4 months of heat and humidity true, but that problem is often remedied by not going outside until the evenings and staying inside behind air conditioning most of the day. Much the same way you stay in a heated car and building during a CO winter. Also add to the fact you have to allow extra time to warm your car. Just different times of the year, that's all.

2. What Colorado has that's not avail in TX: big beautiful mountains, breathtaking hills and scenery, Crisp air, and clear skies. Not saying Houston doesn't ever have days of clear skies, but not as often. Houston has greenery and beaches nearby.

3. Would i rather live in CO for the next 20 yrs or Houston? I would have to say Colorado but only if i was near the Denver metro area. I can't do Colorado Springs anymore but also understand i'm biased. Lived in Colorado Springs all my life.

4. Don't know much about education becuse i don't have kids, but i hear that Colorado is ahead in this category. Houston has great colleges though.

5. Not hard to make friends in Houston area, just like in Colorado. Just find groups that share a common interest and you'll do fine. Matter fact, you'll find more diverse groups of peolpe in Houston that share more of your common interests.

6. Both are great. Houston is growing much faster than Colorado (more people in metro Houston than the whole state of Colorado, so there's going to be more good and more bad. Houston is working toward becoming world class status so there's even more things to come. I like them both personally, but entertainment wise, Colorado Springs doesn't compare, but outdoor activities wise, Colorado Springs is superior.
This is probably the best post in the thread, I must admit.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caycay View Post

Colorado winters would be much shorter in length than the heat here in Texas. Your time span for outdoor activities is much longer where you are. And you absolutely must have a pool for your kids to enjoy the summer.
No disrespect, but this is false. An average Colorado winter can last from October and as late as April. My mom still lives there and she said it had been snowing up there just last week. Although in Houston, this current April has been a little warmer than usual, the actual unbearbale heat and humidity doesn't really get here until mid may/early June and sticks around as late as about mid September.

People tend to exagerrate. I'm not one to pretend that Houston and the rest of tx isn't a scorching oven most of the 3 months, but Houston and Colorado are simply trade offs. Just two different types of pain and discomfort, still pain nonetheless. But i still have to respect that there are some people who prefer one pain over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg
This is probably the best post in the thread, I must admit.
Thanks alot man!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM

336 posts, read 697,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movetohouston? View Post
Hi...we have lived in Colorado (Denver for 4 yrs and Colorado Springs for 12). We have 4 kids (12 - 4 yrs). We love Colorado and have never considered moving until my husband was offered an interesting opportunity in Houston. We are growing in our excitement and interest in moving, but we don't want to get to Houston and wish we had never left Colorado. We would move to Kingwood/The Woodlands area.

We would love any and all of your thoughts, and are curious about a couple of specific things...especially if u have lived in both areas

1) are Houston summers or Colorado winters more severe?
2) what would we miss most in Colorado that is not avail in TX?...other than skiing
3) would you rather live the next 20 yrs in CO or Houston?
4) considering our kids' futures, doesn't TX have a lot more to offer for higher education opportunities?
5) we have an established circle of friends in CO...are Kingwood/TW areas friendly to newcomers or fairly tight knit?
6) please tell all...we don't have to move so trying to make an informed decision...

THANK YOU SO MUCH...our little family appreciates your input
OMG, are you serious??? Colorado to Houston, I have wanted to move there ever since I first visited Colorado, everytime I see someone with Colorado license plates...I am thinking, why in the hell are you here, it's certainly not to sightsee....stay where you are man, it's crowded, unbelievable traffic, forsaken HOT and HUMID....either stay where you are or trade me your house for mine...

Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
We moved to nw Houston from Elizabeth, co last august, the hottest month supposedly of the year. We love it here. two months of heat are nothing compared to Colorado winters that can last from holloween until school gets out, IMHO. I miss the openness, space, and two lane roads of colorado, that's for sure. The change from small town Colorado to urban Houston was a huge culture shock for us and our 8 yr old. In terms of education, at my sons Colorado school, the principal greeted us almost every morning as we dropped him off. Here I haven't even met the principal. Schools in Texas are one big bureaucracy. Doesn't speak to the quality of education, but it sure seems more regimated here. driving is definitely more annoying. Bottom line is by moving here we lost all that comes with a small town
that is good. And no matter where I went in Colorado it always had that small town feel. Not true in the Houston area. But I'm glad we moved. Its very green here! Not dry and windy, in spite of the current drought. Unless you can't stand heat for 2 months out of the year, don't be put off by that. And in terms of beauty and surroundings, I don't think either place has an huge advantage. The biggest consideration in my opinion is cultural. That is huge.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 PM

346 posts, read 739,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4leggin View Post
We moved to nw Houston from Elizabeth, co last august, the hottest month supposedly of the year. We love it here. two months of heat are nothing compared to Colorado winters that can last from holloween until school gets out, IMHO. But I'm glad we moved. Its very green here! Not dry and windy, in spite of the current drought. Unless you can't stand heat for 2 months out of the year, don't be put off by that.
Wow im amazed that the heat didn't bother you, and yea august is our hottest month and honestly ive lived here my whole life and last august was the hottest month I can remember ever here. So thats incredible that it didnt bother you. And idk it still seams hot for at least 3 months huh? although it felt great today. It gets hot around june to about mid sep. But for 8 out of 12 months our weather's actually pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston