Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM

222 posts, read 418,166 times

Advertisements

Not a Leaf owner but I'm a prospective EV owner when a cheaper Tesla comes out
Currently I have a hybrid sedan. I do see a few Tesla's and at least a couple Leaf's in the parking garage of the company where I work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousE View Post
My husband and I are interested in a plug in hybrid. I've been doing my research because I would like to purchase one by the end of the year. I noticed a charging station at walgreens near beltway 8.
Mind if I ask what plug in hybrid you're looking at?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 AM

97 posts, read 162,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Mind if I ask what plug in hybrid you're looking at?
I really would like to buy the accord, but I was told that I couldn't get it in Texas (only California). I am looking at the fusion energi now.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Be careful about where you plug this thing in, especially if you are a foreigner

Electric Car Owner Arrested For Stealing 5 Cents Worth Of Power « CBS Atlanta

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
That's pretty much the biggest obstacle right now. So far there is nothing better than the Lithium batteries. And they yield 200 mile range tops. And they are dangerous as hell.

Until scientists come up with something more revolutionary we are stock with Lithium. And it is a dead end.

Natural gas is another fossil fuel which will last for probably 50-70 years more. And it is not gonna be cheap. I don't even mention environmental concerns.
Back to horse and buggy then.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
In 10 to 15 years, gas will still be under $6 per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I'd wager that before this becomes mainstream we'll switch to natural gas as a primary fuel for cars. Seems like the logical next step.
Yep, NG is the next logical step. I was looking at buying a NG pickup at one time, but the issue was the NG compressor (Honda made the only residential one) was $3500 - not counting installation costs. I had read the price of those compressors would be coming down to the $750 - $1000 range.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
How are lithium batteries dangerous as hell? Anymore dangerous than a fuel tank? Ive got nearly 100k miles on my original lithium battery. The use of them is not new.if you are talking about the recalls for fires that effected very few cars you should look at the recent GM recalls for comparision

Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
Ready for the Tesla Model X to come out!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM

201 posts, read 914,957 times
I have always said that buying an electric/hybrid car saves gas, not money.

My brother in law has a Leaf, and I've driven it as well as spent enough time with him to get a feel for the charging regime. His commute is long enough that he has to charge the car every night, and he can't take much of a detour to and from work or he will run out of charge. We used it on a weekend where we weren't exactly sure how far we would drive, so he had to constantly think about the charge and plan around it. Way too much trouble for my simple mind.

The car drove fine and I think it would serve you well if you have a relatively short commute, like under 10-15 miles, and it wasn't going to be your primary weekend car. And the car is kind of neat although pretty much just a driving appliance. If that kind of car/driving experience suits your needs, just buy a Nissan Versa hatchback, Honda Fit, etc. Much cheaper car.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtk View Post
I have always said that buying an electric/hybrid car saves gas, not money.

My brother in law has a Leaf, and I've driven it as well as spent enough time with him to get a feel for the charging regime. His commute is long enough that he has to charge the car every night, and he can't take much of a detour to and from work or he will run out of charge. We used it on a weekend where we weren't exactly sure how far we would drive, so he had to constantly think about the charge and plan around it. Way too much trouble for my simple mind.

The car drove fine and I think it would serve you well if you have a relatively short commute, like under 10-15 miles, and it wasn't going to be your primary weekend car. And the car is kind of neat although pretty much just a driving appliance. If that kind of car/driving experience suits your needs, just buy a Nissan Versa hatchback, Honda Fit, etc. Much cheaper car.
I'm currently leasing a leaf for $250, but at the same time I'm saving about $130 a month on gas.
With the new level 3 public chargers I don't have to worry about the range. A quick 10 min charge gives you more than 30 miles, which is always enough to get me back home, and they are free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston