Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM

279 posts, read 724,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Other states cry less when they get burned. Texas seems to cry the loudest imho.
The nearest cry is always the loudest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,939 times
As much as I love Houston and as much we deserve this space shuttle in all honesty we're not ready nor good for it. Look at the current NASA tourist complex we have right now. Plain, boring to the extent of almost lame. They really need to hire some good PR and fantastic design outfits and make that place vibrant and happening. If we were to get the shuttle I believe we were not ready to host it as other states may be able to. But that’s just my assessment after visiting all the other NASA facilities.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
The Smithsonian already has the Enterprise, so, imo, they should not have this one. And there should be one in the middle of the country. If not Houston, Chicago would be a good bet. Chicago did nothing for NASA, but its location and the possible places for the shuttle there would have been good.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Really? Los Angeles has a big history with NASA. New York is the one that should have been left out. Too close to DC and did nothing for NASA.
But its still not America's Space City.

Houston has played a vital role as the command center of every orbiter that has left Earth's atmosphere in the last 44 years.

NASA is a part of Houston & Houston is a part of NASA.

I'm truly disappointed with this decision, but not shocked. Houston always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to national recognition & this is another prime example. Losing Continental was the first blow now we lose having a shuttle we guided into & out of space for decades.

I signed a petition & wrote a personal letter to congress regarding the space shuttle going to Houston so I can whole heartily say I did my part.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-12-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
But its still not America's Space City.

Houston has played a vital role as the command center of every orbiter that has left Earth's atmosphere in the last 44 years.

NASA is a part of Houston & Houston is a part of NASA.

I'm truly disappointed with this decision, but not shocked. Houston always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to national recognition & this is another prime example. Losing Continental was the first blow now we lose having a shuttle we guided into & out of space.

I signed a petition & wrote a personal letter to congress regarding the space shuttle going to Houston so I can whole heartily say I did my part.
Did I say LA was Space City? No. They deserved at least Enterprise for what they did in the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The Smithsonian already has the Enterprise, so, imo, they should not have this one. And there should be one in the middle of the country. If not Houston, Chicago would be a good bet. Chicago did nothing for NASA, but its location and the possible places for the shuttle there would have been good.
Enterprise won't be staying in DC.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Did I say LA was Space City? No. They deserved at least Enterprise for what they did in the program.
Oh please!

People in Los Angeles could give two hoots if they had a shuttle there or not. The city is not lacking in much at all while Houston could actually benefit from a big boost like this. It would help tourism tremendously, something the city has been striving to get for a very long time.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh please!

People in Los Angeles could give two hoots if they had a shuttle there or not. The city is not lacking in much at all while Houston could actually benefit from a big boost like this. It would help tourism tremendously, something the city has been striving to get for a very long time.

The LA area (Pasadena and Palmdale specifically) still played a big role in the space program. You should be upset that NYC got one, not LA. The Interprid is only lke the 15th most visited museum in NYC. Space Center Houston gets more visitors than the Interprid and has gotten more visitors overall, and it opened later.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Wow, what a HUGE injustice.

It's got to be politics. Sickening.

The nickname Space City, and team names like Rockets, Astros etc. I guess were all completely random (sarcasm).

Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,849,970 times
Remind me again who appointed the director of NASA? Oh wait, I know. Remind me again which state didn't give any electoral votes to that person in the 2008 presidential election... oh wait, I know that too.

This has nothing to do with tourism or where the shuttles would best suit the people of this country, this is about dirty politics.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Lets wait for someone to blame Obama!

Our Governor does nothing but criticize and spew hate toward the rest of the US and all Texans can do is complain when we get shafted. Maybe if people would get out a vote and quit allowing these bastards back into office; this state and our cities could get more shine and respect.

Am I surprised?? Kinda, but I almost expected it.

Besides that; It really is a slap in the face to the city of Houston and all the amazing work the city has done with the NASA program. Houston receiving a shuttle should have been a given; putting it in Houston would have been a bigger impact and played a much more significant role than in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston