Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times

Advertisements

The area between fountain View and Chimney Rock that you're in is NOT the super expensive and super safe/nice area that some are alluding to. In houston, some areas change alot from one block to the next. Most of the housing along Bering and Augusta, where you're located, are townhomes ranging around $100k-200k. I can't say that I would love to live in that hood, esp the closer you get to Fountainview. It is a relatively safe area though, but definitely be cautious. There are some nice gated communities of newer houses along Augusta/Bering that are more expensive, like 500k, and I hope that's where your house is b/c I imagine that will add to safety comng home at night to be in a small gated enclave.
East of Chimney Rock, the real estate goes much higher towards 500k and it's safer. And Northeast of your block, where "Tanglewood Ln" is, you are looking at one of the richest part of town, >1mill. West of Fountainview, there is some expensive housing in the Westhaven Estates area but mixed in with old apts and townhomes. I don't really like this area and I think there are alot of petty crimes like car break in around here if not parked in garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 12,106 times
Thanks houstonfan, actually, unfortunately I think you're right, the area where they live consists in townhouses close to Fountainview, they live on Augusta...I made extensive research on the internet and the amount of petty crimes kinda scared me a little . Even my partner confessed that "all she had seen was broken glass from car windows"...This does not really reassure me at all I must confess. Her complex is not gated but she has a garage...I'm definitely hesitating about the exchange even if I feel the relative safety of the neighborhood should not stop me...

Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
I wasn't trying to scare you away. I don't think it's dangerous as long as you use common sense, which applies to most areas in the city. It helps that you have a garage when you come home late at night as opposed to parking a block awawy and having to walk. This is an area you should be fine walking during the day. I'm sure it's relatively safe at night too, but knowing about the petty crime it would spook me out a little if I had a lot of cash on me and had to walk there in the middle of the night. I don't know what your budget is, but having a house exchange is probably more economical than renting and getting furniture. Can you visit and inspect the house to ease your mind?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM

5 posts, read 12,106 times
Sorry, I didn't come to check the forum for a while…Houstonfan, I do understand that you didn’t try to scare me away, no problem! On the contrary, I was really interested in reading the impression/opinion of someone knowing Houston and this neighbourhood (thanks for your time!). As I can’t visit beforehand, I’ll try living there and if I feel unsafe, I’ll look for a roommate (or an apartment to rent) elsewhere in the city, I should be fine, I’ll make sure I have other options. Thanks a lot to all the people who took the time to answer my question!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
I live around Fountain View and Chimney Rock and it is fine, never had any issues. Never knew of anyone who was nicked. If you equate wealth with safety, then no wonder the ENRON syndicate walked.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
I think that whole entire area between Fountain View and 610, Westheimer and I-10 is quite safe.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
The area between fountain View and Chimney Rock that you're in is NOT the super expensive and super safe/nice area that some are alluding to. In houston, some areas change alot from one block to the next. Most of the housing along Bering and Augusta, where you're located, are townhomes ranging around $100k-200k. I can't say that I would love to live in that hood, esp the closer you get to Fountainview. It is a relatively safe area though, but definitely be cautious. There are some nice gated communities of newer houses along Augusta/Bering that are more expensive, like 500k, and I hope that's where your house is b/c I imagine that will add to safety comng home at night to be in a small gated enclave.
East of Chimney Rock, the real estate goes much higher towards 500k and it's safer. And Northeast of your block, where "Tanglewood Ln" is, you are looking at one of the richest part of town, >1mill. West of Fountainview, there is some expensive housing in the Westhaven Estates area but mixed in with old apts and townhomes. I don't really like this area and I think there are alot of petty crimes like car break in around here if not parked in garage.
You're either trolling or a idiot if you think the areas around Augusta and Bering are not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston