U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,486 times

Advertisements

Richmond is in the top 3 school districts. That's something to think about when looking for a school for your daughter. The suburbs are pretty mixed and well rounded. I live in the beginning of Richmond. I'm 5 minutes from Katy life and 10 minutes from Sugar Land. You can cut your budget in half and still have a large home. Depends on what you'd like to spend. Around this area its family oriented and you'll always have something to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM

16,917 posts, read 19,714,231 times
Katy ISD had a good reputation. I am not sure how good it will be after all the teacher layoffs though.

Laid-Off Teachers: Katy ISD Dismissal Process (http://www.fortbendnow.com/2011/04/15/51396 - broken link)

Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM

29 posts, read 108,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I think another important question is how much you want to spend on a home here in Houston? Do you want to spend $750k here as well? If so, then you might reconsider your location and find a few areas where the land value is higher than in the suburbs. Areas like Upper Kirby, Galleria, or Memorial. $750k will buy you a very large home in the suburbs, maybe too large. I'm reading your post as only being a family of 2.

Now, if you want to slash your budget in half, then you would still get a large home in the suburbs like Pearland/Sugarland but you wouldn't have an excessively large home. Other suburbs to consider are Clear Lake, The Woodlands, and Katy.

You might also consider proximity to museums, good restaurants, parks, etc. Are these important?
Hi City Love, Not at all. My goal is to cut my expenses in half and save some money. I'm moving to Texas solely to do that. I don't need a huge home. I just need a 3/4 bedroom home that's nicely sized. I will certainly look into The Woodlands. I don't think I like Katy much based on what I've heard from others. I was told Katy has more of the older generation living there.

And yes, proximity to good restaurants, parks, museums, and general "things to do" activities are very important. Right now,

Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJfromATL View Post
Im having the same concern, sista. Except Im single.

So am I.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM

JRjohnryan, thank you very much for that information . . . very helpful!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,924,291 times
I was in Sugarland last month visiting some folks and I thought the area was really nice. The place I was, the houses were in the 3,000-4,000 sq ft and larger style houses. Prices were reasonable considering I'm coming from California..LOL, you understand since you're in the DC area.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I was in Sugarland last month visiting some folks and I thought the area was really nice. The place I was, the houses were in the 3,000-4,000 sq ft and larger style houses. Prices were reasonable considering I'm coming from California..LOL, you understand since you're in the DC area.

Lady, thank you! Yes, I understand. I find it amazing when folks on the forum say that a house "is quite expensive and in the 300k range." Makes me more motivated to get outta here. 300k range in my area here will get a 1000 sq ft 1 bedroom condo. California was my 2nd choice to move, until I realized it's just as bad as DC - in terms of cost of things! I would certainly miss it here though! Big time! Thank you for the input . . .

Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,924,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibio7 View Post
Lady, thank you! Yes, I understand. I find it amazing when folks on the forum say that a house "is quite expensive and in the 300k range." Makes me more motivated to get outta here. 300k range in my area here will get a 1000 sq ft 1 bedroom condo. California was my 2nd choice to move, until I realized it's just as bad as DC - in terms of cost of things! I would certainly miss it here though! Big time! Thank you for the input . . .
LOL, you could move to Cali but it depends on the city. In my area, you could get a condo in the $300K range but you won't have a yard....I'm used to living like this I guess!!!! I have friends in DC and he just got a 1 bedroom condo in Falls Church for $200K.....that will get you part of a gorgeous home in Houston!

I am headed back to the Houston area again next month on business and hope to visit those folks in Sugarland again. I personally loved the area and really loved their house and neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn910 View Post
Richmond is in the top 3 school districts. That's something to think about when looking for a school for your daughter. The suburbs are pretty mixed and well rounded. I live in the beginning of Richmond. I'm 5 minutes from Katy life and 10 minutes from Sugar Land. You can cut your budget in half and still have a large home. Depends on what you'd like to spend. Around this area its family oriented and you'll always have something to do.
Thanks Jenn, never considered Richmond. I will start looking there too.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Default So, what are the best rental sites/realtors/sites?

So, I'm going to start looking in the Sugarland, Pearland and surrounding areas. I'm torn between buying something immediately and renting for the first year. Since this will be quite different for me, having lived in the DC area for more than half of my life, I think Texas will take a little getting used to.

That said, I feel safer renting a home for the first year just to make sure I like it out there, although my friend who lives in Dallas advises me to just buy. But oh well . . . I have a bit of cold feet . . .

So, where should I start my search? Do you suggest I get a realtor to help me find a rental home? Are there specific local sites that people go to for their searches or should I just use the general rentals.com sites? What are the popular realtor sites that may help? Please advise!

By the way, I am making a trip out there early next month.

Thank you much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston