U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 AM

4,754 posts, read 12,852,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoobeedoo View Post
There is NOTHING diverse about any of the suburbs no matter what people will tell you.
"No matter what people tell you?" How about some data to evaluate?

Here are the stats for Brazos Bend Elementary in New Territory in Sugar Land:

40% - White, not Hispanic
39% - Asian/Pacific Islander
11% - Black, not Hispanic
10% - Hispanic
<1% - American Indian/Alaskan Native

Here are the stats for Roberts Elementary:

45% - White, not Hispanic
36% - Asian/Pacific Islander
13% - Hispanic
7% - Black, not Hispanic
0% - American Indian/Alaskan Native

Source: GreatSchools.org
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM

279 posts, read 661,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
"No matter what people tell you?" How about some data to evaluate?
PSHHH! Data, schmata! Everyone KNOWS the burbs are lily white! It's a FACT!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,078 times
I'm moving to Houston next summer with hubby and 2 little boys. Hubby will be working at govt. agency around the medical district of Houston and I work from home. Looking for a commute less than 1 hr. Torn between Katy, Sugarland and Spring, TX. Need help. I'm from NYC and living in Seattle for work for the next 10 months. I need to be around my people. Plus I need for find a great hair stylist and baptist church. Can you help a sista out?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 27,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chresto75 View Post
I'm moving to Houston next summer with hubby and 2 little boys. Hubby will be working at govt. agency around the medical district of Houston and I work from home. Looking for a commute less than 1 hr. Torn between Katy, Sugarland and Spring, TX. Need help. I'm from NYC and living in Seattle for work for the next 10 months. I need to be around my people. Plus I need for find a great hair stylist and baptist church. Can you help a sista out?
Sugarland would be best out of all three of those areas. I prefer mixed areas as well. They have alot of good beauticians in Sugarland and Missouri City(which is nearby) for AA women.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,078 times
Thanks Suggamom04! I would like a diverse location as well. Is Sugarland and Missouri City very close to Houston? I hear the traffic is terrible, but we are use to a 1hr or less commute.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM

16,963 posts, read 19,782,829 times
If he is working in the medical district, I think Pearland is a better choice than Sugarland or Missouri City. The commute should be between 30 and 45 minutes depending on when he goes.

Our neighborhood is very diverse. The schools are good. We would have chosen Sugarland except that my son commutes to Pasadena. We have lots of people working in the medical district living here.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
How bad is 'water problem' in these areas? I heard a lot of homes faces foundation problems due to stagnant water generally all over Houston. Is it true? If so what remedy people take to overcome it?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,195,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsi View Post
How bad is 'water problem' in these areas? I heard a lot of homes faces foundation problems due to stagnant water generally all over Houston. Is it true? If so what remedy people take to overcome it?
I'm not really sure, but I think the foundation problems are due to the clay soil in the area...add the drought spells and the clay contracts and expands too much, causing foundation issues. There are also some areas of Houston that sit over faults, and those homes tend to have more foundation problems.
Then there are flooding issues if your house is in a flood plain, we tend to get heavy downpours sometimes and that causes flashfloods. But that I think is separate from the foundation issues.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:48 AM

181 posts, read 339,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsi View Post
The only water problem here is the lack of water. Some neighborhoods are already implementing water restrictions. Foundations should be watered periodically to avoid cracking.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 928 times
Hi we are an Indian family moving from Canada to Houston. Intend to live in Katy and would like to more about Katy wit respect to high schools, crime rate, school conditions, living conditions and expense.
Sher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston