Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,420 times

Advertisements

I try to catch any discounts I can, especially with gas, food, cable, lights water and everything else going up in price. I was one of the many people who took advantage of Krogers old coupon policy, triple up to $.39 cents and double up to .50cents...now they are only at face value only....

I never took it to the max like we see some the extreme coupon people doing, buying mulitiple items just because they have X number of coupons, but if they had something on sale, and I NEEDED it, that is the perfect time to use the coupon. I went to Kroger over the weekend, spent $45.00 before discounts and added $15.00 in coupons, mostly $1.00 and up and was able to get my total at the end down to $23.04, so I was satisfied..

I know abc13 had a story about the dollar match that walmart does by matching sales items from any store, as long as you have the sales paper to verify, but I find that way too tedious to do. I did head over to Walmart too on saturday, used about $17.50 in coupons, and I only matched one item that day, but may use it more often.

What are some of your best savings tips using coupons, or your strategy to cut down on your food bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,807 times
My strategy is to earn more money and carry on shopping at Central Market.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM

145 posts, read 382,979 times
Randall's still has a double/triple coupon policy similar to the old one at Kroger.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM

182 posts, read 702,125 times
Randall's is following Kroger and getting rid of it. CS didnt say when. I don't dig Kroger's new digital coupon program either, considering they are considered manufacture coupons and if I have one on my card and one in my hand worth more, they use the one of your card. Won't be using that much unless it's a biggie coupon like the one on the TP a couple weeks ago which they gave a heads up for in the flyer.

Target's policy if pretty good. You can download Target coupons and stack them with manufacture coupons. I usually try to combine that with sales prices, depending on when the coupons expire. I've also been price checking Target vs. Walmart and pleasantly surprised to see Target's prices in check with, and even lower than Walmarts ie. off the top of my head, Charmin TP, Starbuck's Fraps, Coffeemate 64 ounce vanilla creamer all lower than Walmart, Blue Bell ice cream 1 penny difference.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM

594 posts, read 1,250,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
My strategy is to earn more money and carry on shopping at Central Market.
We get as much as we can at HEB and get the good stuff (meat, produce, fancy fun stuff) at CM.

I always forget coupons- just like I forget the reusable bags. But I do try to buy what's on special that week if it fits our menu.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 PM

239 posts, read 639,215 times
Kroger actually made couponing a lot tougher at many local stores a few years ago. At that point, I started shopping Costco seriously and filling in with items from HEB. Much better quality items and much better service at both of those and I save a lot of money as well.

As for Hellmart, they've allowed price matching for years. But to be honest, it's too often a battle to get it done. Half the time the cashiers barely speak English and the other half you spend trying to explain what the policy is how and to handle a price match. Then you have the ones who act as if the money you're saving is coming out of their personal pocket and they make darned sure getting thta money is as painful as possible for you.

Top that with Hellmart's frankenmeat and the hideous produce, e.g.: organic coming in from countries with no or few organic standards and the Costco-HEB strategy just looks better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston