Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by higces View Post
I am going to move to Houston, I live at plantation in Broward, and i really love it, I would like to find a similar place in Houston, where would you recomend?
NorthWest of Houston has been growing:

Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Areas with metro running through it make room for lower end apartments and the chances that residents who can't afford a car moving into your area are greater - people assume that poverty breeds crime (it does in some case and not in others) so that is why another poster said to stay away from areas with public transport. This is probably why residents of Pearland and Friendswood and other suburbs have consistently voted to keep Metro out.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Areas with metro running through it make room for lower end apartments
Huh? Buses always spawn cheap apartments? And all this time I thought it was developers who built apartments. How's that work?

Quote:
and the chances that residents who can't afford a car moving into your area are greater
I don't understand how people who can't afford a car are going to go into auto-dependent suburbs and pay what people pay in Friendswood and Pearland to live there. You don't have grocery stores and other basic stuff right around every corner like in the city.

Quote:
people assume that poverty breeds crime (it does in some case and not in others) so that is why another poster said to stay away from areas with public transport.
How does this explain the recent home invasions and burglaries in The Woodlands, among other places without Metro? Simple - it doesn't. Once again, you need your own ride to load up with someone else's loot you've stolen. It's also not very convenient to make a getaway at the bus stop hoping the bus gets there before the cops.

Quote:
This is probably why residents of Pearland and Friendswood and other suburbs have consistently voted to keep Metro out.
Maybe they don't like buses because they like their Hummers and their Suburbans to be the biggest vehicles on the road?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Metro runs smack dab right through River Oaks, Tanglewood and Memorial. Those residental areas actually have a low crime rate. Residents are aware that there is crime and don't make themselves a target. Buses don't bring crime. How can you haul off loot on Metro? It's a little obvious when you and your pals load a flat screen on the bike carrier.

Burbs grow and need more services. Services need more low income employees. Low income employees need a place to live. Developers build them some. Employees lose a job and resort to theft. Local residents never lock their doors and think because they pay crazy taxs to live away from the big, bad city they're immune to crime. BLAMMO you have a crime rate.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Criminals prey on people whose guards are down...

Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Metro runs smack dab right through River Oaks, Tanglewood and Memorial. Those residental areas actually have a low crime rate. Residents are aware that there is crime and don't make themselves a target.
This is the old-money area; they aren't as flashy as the new-money.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM

In and around River Oaks you don't ever know when you're standing next to an average Joe or a multmillionaire.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
People without transportion can easily move to the burbs if they have a bus line running through it. Second, developers do build apartments first - but the more affordable ones will many times be on a direct bus route or they evolve into more affordable after some amount of time. One of the primary reasons Pearland/Friendswood (when they had the first opportunity to vote on allowing Metro in) was to discourage those without their own transportation from moving in. Crime isn't just burglaries - it is point blank robbery for your cash and your car. Simply observations...........and memories of living in Pearland and having a person associated with the City of Friendswood tell me that the reason they were one of the safest communities in the U.S. is that they had very few apartment complexes (and the residents who lived in them) and it was majority single family dwelling and they tried not to allow much apartment development in the area for that very reason.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
My guess,

is that many people across the country and even around the world still refuse to acknowledge that Texas cities are places of Cosmopolitan culture. They don't realize how much there is too offer. They keep believing its shows like Dallas, Walker Texas Ranger (which I was a fan of besides!) and movies like Urban Cowboy.

Stetson wearing, pro-capital punishment, evangelical oil company executives working in shiny new skyscrapers with no cultural amenities nearby with nothing fun to do, commuting back to their "ranch" at the end of the day is still the stereotype it seems even for the cities!

Its probably one of the misunderstood and complex states in the country. But the silver lining to that is that you get so much in Houston and other Texas cities for your dollar.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Default the streets

its not the buses or public transportation. its the foot traffic - it makes it difficult to spot suspicious activity when pedestrians are part of the landscape. most people in the burbs react differently when kids, the elderly or an unfamiliar adult walks past their house a few times. then theres the "i'm just waiting for my wife/husband/whoever, officer" excuse for loitering. and eventhough the good people may enjoy public transportation the bad ones will exploit it. soon there will be jews being robbed of their purses, blacks/middleeasterns robbed of their chains, students mugged by schoolmates, trashy convenience and 99cent stores popping up, people with blaring boomboxes walking around, getting into buses, then theres the cool grafitti guy putting his signature here and there, people turning up the car sound system to impress the folks waiting for the bus... well you get the picture. its a stage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston