Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,836 times

Advertisements

It is beyond annoying how people on the South (Cinco) side of Katy put down the North side of I-10 (Katy area). I have lived on the North side of I-10 (Katy area) for over 10 years and have had 0 burglaries. I walk my dog at night alone (I'm a female) w/o fear. I live right off of Barker Cypress and South Park View; w/Cullen Park just a few feet away (great for walking, running and soccer). My access to I-10 is almost instant. My daughter will graduate from Mayde Creek High School in the top 10% of her class w/a ride to TAMU. I told her about some of the comments I've seen on this board regarding gangs at Mayde Creek and her response was, "what gangs?" The North side of Katy and I-10 is NOT the gang/crime ridden ghetto that some on this board seem to want to promote.

Cinco Ranch (and the South side in general) has many pluses and is lovely but please stop promoting it by erroneously putting down its neighbors on the North side of I-10. The North side is mainly less expensive and has more starter homes but it also has ample sized homes with large backyards at prices that are affordable (Park Harbor, Cullen Park, Amesbury, Barkers Ridge, etc) w/reasonable HOA fees and no MUD taxes (Barkers may have MUD taxes, not sure), all zoned to KISD schools which teach the same curriculum as is taught on the South side.

How in the world would Katy be able to promote its self as an attractive place for businesses to relocate and form if it allowed 1/2 of its city/area to fall into ruin as many of you seem to promote on this board? A vast number of oil/gas and engineering companies are just up the street from me...the new Memorial and TX Children's hospitals are within walking distance of my home. If the North side were such a crime ridden area would those businesses/hospitals have chosen this location? What sense would it make to put your brand new hospital in a place where its employees, patients and visitors would have such a grave chance of being robbed or harmed?

Yes, it does appear that the North side is more diverse and that may scare some off. The schools have more of a balance of high, moderate, and low achievers (and that is the primary difference and thus the reason it is Recognized instead of Exemplary) but it has always been my opinion that whether or not your kid succeeds in school is based primarily on your kid (his or her ability/drive) and YOU. In reading some of these threads one would think that Mayde Creek and Morton were not even in KISD. If the schools are as bad and dangerous as many of you think then the question needs to be asked of KISD why on earth would it allow some of its schools to fall into ruin while protecting others? If these schools are so bad can KISD really promote its self to be some ideal school district, above and beyond most others in the Houston school district? If the North side of I-10 (Katy area) is so undesirable and so dangerous then how on earth can Katy promote its self as some mecca for business relocation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM

24,055 posts, read 15,179,651 times
The same people say the same things about the Champions area, too. High crime, stay away, blah blah. It has affected our property values. But, our taxes are now lower and white flighters who listen to that stuff are moving on, too. Pretty soon we will have it all to ourselves.
I sometimes think all of those uninformed comments are by employees of MPC who get buyers by trashing other places.
Thanks for cheerleading for your home town.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM

967 posts, read 2,615,541 times
I'm with you 100% and I live in Cinco Ranch! People really do get the wrong idea and believe all the hype... Mainly because they are relocating and too afraid to make a mistake.

And don't get me wrong... South Katy has it's issues too.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,782,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
I'm with you 100% and I live in Cinco Ranch! People really do get the wrong idea and believe all the hype... Mainly because they are relocating and too afraid to make a mistake.

And don't get me wrong... South Katy has it's issues too.
I second that

Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 PM

295 posts, read 1,170,687 times
yup, i was considering firethorne but it's high school is zoned at katy high school located north of katy that had me concerned so i'm one of those that believed the hype of south katy

Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 PM

56 posts, read 158,605 times
Mayde Creek

Total Students 2760
Economically Disadvantaged 1329 48.15%

Cinco Ranch

Total Students 2868
Economically Disadvantaged 206 7.18%

I don't live in either, but when I'm looking at schools, this kind of thing pops out at me. I suppose it would be easier to get into the top 10% at Mayde Creek than at Cinco, so maybe that is a plus.

Does the high levels of economically disadvantaged kids not translate in to higher crime in the north-of-I-10 schools?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,986,393 times
Hardly. Crime is really no different between North and South Katy. The schools are more diverse on the north side. South Katy seems to get more people from out of town/state, while North Katy gets more residents from other parts of Houston.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,886,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsideofkaty View Post
It is beyond annoying how people on the South (Cinco) side of Katy put down the North side of I-10 (Katy area). I have lived on the North side of I-10 (Katy area) for over 10 years and have had 0 burglaries. I walk my dog at night alone (I'm a female) w/o fear. I live right off of Barker Cypress and South Park View; w/Cullen Park just a few feet away (great for walking, running and soccer). My access to I-10 is almost instant. My daughter will graduate from Mayde Creek High School in the top 10% of her class w/a ride to TAMU. I told her about some of the comments I've seen on this board regarding gangs at Mayde Creek and her response was, "what gangs?" The North side of Katy and I-10 is NOT the gang/crime ridden ghetto that some on this board seem to want to promote.

Cinco Ranch (and the South side in general) has many pluses and is lovely but please stop promoting it by erroneously putting down its neighbors on the North side of I-10. The North side is mainly less expensive and has more starter homes but it also has ample sized homes with large backyards at prices that are affordable (Park Harbor, Cullen Park, Amesbury, Barkers Ridge, etc) w/reasonable HOA fees and no MUD taxes (Barkers may have MUD taxes, not sure), all zoned to KISD schools which teach the same curriculum as is taught on the South side.

How in the world would Katy be able to promote its self as an attractive place for businesses to relocate and form if it allowed 1/2 of its city/area to fall into ruin as many of you seem to promote on this board? A vast number of oil/gas and engineering companies are just up the street from me...the new Memorial and TX Children's hospitals are within walking distance of my home. If the North side were such a crime ridden area would those businesses/hospitals have chosen this location? What sense would it make to put your brand new hospital in a place where its employees, patients and visitors would have such a grave chance of being robbed or harmed?

Yes, it does appear that the North side is more diverse and that may scare some off. The schools have more of a balance of high, moderate, and low achievers (and that is the primary difference and thus the reason it is Recognized instead of Exemplary) but it has always been my opinion that whether or not your kid succeeds in school is based primarily on your kid (his or her ability/drive) and YOU. In reading some of these threads one would think that Mayde Creek and Morton were not even in KISD. If the schools are as bad and dangerous as many of you think then the question needs to be asked of KISD why on earth would it allow some of its schools to fall into ruin while protecting others? If these schools are so bad can KISD really promote its self to be some ideal school district, above and beyond most others in the Houston school district? If the North side of I-10 (Katy area) is so undesirable and so dangerous then how on earth can Katy promote its self as some mecca for business relocation?
That's a really bad idea no matter where you live.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 AM

243 posts, read 801,365 times
OP, who really cares? i live north of i-10 at franz and 99. who cares what others think? i, like you, have lived in katy since 2002 and i absolutely love it. we will be moving soon, but just to the other side of katy. the community here is unlike any other. my family and i love every bit of it.

but as long as you or others REACT to what others might say, they will continue to say. let me advise you like i do my junior high school daughter. if you don't let them bother you, they will stop. quit reacting to childlike behavior and let them be!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 AM

587 posts, read 1,136,924 times
the same thing happens in all parts of the city....katy..cypress...humble..the woodlands, kingwood, humble, Houston city limits, sugarland, missouri city, pearland and the clear lake area, so dont think you are alone......if that area of Katy works out for you, I would say stay the course, and enjoy your cost of living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston