Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You may not be racist, but misinformed you are. Poverty is the main culprit here.

You have majority black neighborhoods in Missouri that are perfectly safe.
For many safety isn't the issue. I know of plenty of people that wouldn't want to live in/near a black neighborhood regardless of the crime. Ever heard of "white flight?" Not saying that is the case with myself personally.

IMHO, personally (I'm sure there are those who would disgree) I'm sure race is at least part of the factor.

My experience with Missouri City: I grew up in nearby Quail Run (Houston, technically, but zoned to Willowridge like a lot of Mo. City), BTW in house right on the end of Lexington by the water tower. (Quailynn Dr.) I had a babysitter by the "original" EA Jones, (old Mo. City) so I spent a lot of time there in my childhood, too. I have baby pictures taken at the Mo. City Burger King on 2234. Could go on...

With that said, having grown up in the area right after the 80's oil bust and know it very well, I would have no problem living there.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 04-26-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
You could buy in Meadows Place for 120k. Probably a fixer-upper, though.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I can tell you that there are portions of Mo. City that are significantly black. I'm pretty sure that could have an effect on property values. (I'm NOT racist, BTW)

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
For many safety isn't the issue. I know of plenty of people that wouldn't want to live in/near a black neighborhood regardless of the crime. Ever heard of "white flight?" Not saying that is the case with myself personally.

IMHO, personally (I'm sure there are those who would disgree) I'm sure race is at least part of the factor.

My experience with Missouri City: I grew up in nearby Quail Run (Houston, technically, but zoned to Willowridge like a lot of Mo. City), BTW in house right on the end of Lexington by the water tower. (Quailynn Dr.) I had a babysitter by the "original" EA Jones, (old Mo. City) so I spent a lot of time there in my childhood, too. I have baby pictures taken at the Mo. City Burger King on 2234. Could go on...

With that said, having grown up in the area right after the 80's oil bust and know it very well, I would have no problem living there.
But that comment was unnecessary and the OP stated nothing about wanting to be away from blacks.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:
But that comment was unnecessary and the OP stated nothing about wanting to be away from blacks.
Never said he did. He did want to know why homes in Mo. City were cheaper as compared to the surrounding areas, though, and all I did was bring up race as a possible factor, on top of other reasons which have been mentioned.

It's known that race affects home buying and consequently real estate prices. Just like how the Clements HS attendance zone is known for its Indians, Pakistani and Chinese, Hunter's Glen & Fonmeadow (Marshall HS) and Blue Ridge (Willowridge HS) is known for its African-Americans.

It's f--ked up, but just want to be a straight-shooter and give the truth.

I will say it again -- I would have no problem living there.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 04-26-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
I used to live in the higher dollar side of Missouri City for 10 years and many times I had to visit and interact with the not so high dollar Mo neighborhood and despite the race color or dollar sign I genuinely felt safe and comfortable. I don't get a sense of ghetto or anything like that in that side of Mo. It almost feels like a place where people really do their best with means and money they have. People are polite and welcoming just like anywhere else. That's my personal observation....and I am sure I didn't see all sides of Mo so I may be inaccurate in my observation.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Never said he did. He did want to know why homes in Mo. City were cheaper as compared to the surrounding areas, though, and all I did was bring up race as a possible factor, on top of other reasons which have been mentioned.

It's known that race affects home buying and consequently real estate prices. Just like how the Clements HS attendance zone is known for its Indians, Pakistani and Chinese, Hunter's Glen & Fonmeadow (Marshall HS) and Blue Ridge (Willowridge HS) is known for its African-Americans.

It's f--ked up, but just want to be a straight-shooter and give the truth.

I will say it again -- I would have no problem living there.
The more you talk; the more ignorant you sound. Just hush.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
lots

Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
The more you talk; the more ignorant you sound. Just hush.
Exactly.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM

34 posts, read 107,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I used to live in the higher dollar side of Missouri City for 10 years and many times I had to visit and interact with the not so high dollar Mo neighborhood and despite the race color or dollar sign I genuinely felt safe and comfortable. I don't get a sense of ghetto or anything like that in that side of Mo. It almost feels like a place where people really do their best with means and money they have. People are polite and welcoming just like anywhere else. That's my personal observation....and I am sure I didn't see all sides of Mo so I may be inaccurate in my observation.

Well said. I live there now and find this is still the case in my opinion. The Texas Parkway side isn't as "pretty" but it's not a bad place either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston