Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:06 PM

47 posts, read 134,752 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recent experience with moving from out of state? Any recommendations for a good moving companyk, or ones to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM

105 posts, read 236,445 times
Are you looking for a full service mover or are you willing to do the loading/unloading yourself?
If it is the latter, ABF u-pack is a good option. http://www.upack.com

I used ABF last year to move down from Wisconsin and had a great experience. The only thing to watch out for is that you have to make sure you have room to park a 28ft semi trailer for up to 3 days at each end (the apartment I moved to complained about it even though they gave me permission to do it before I moved.)

They drop off the trailer at the starting point and you have up to 3 days to load it and then call them when it is ready to be picked up. They drive it to your destination and you have up to another 3 days to unload it. You only pay for the space you use. They charge by the linear foot with a minimum of around 6ft.

The price came out cheaper than renting a uhaul for me with the added benefit of not having to drive the truck all the way myself.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,295 times
we recently used Atlas van lines while relocating from Florida back to Houston. They were very professional and took great care of our belongings, and they were able to transport our things in less than three days coming all the way from South Florida.

their prices were very affordable compared to Suddath Van Lines, Budget Van Lines and others I received quotes from. I selected the option where they load and unload boxes and furniture, but we packed everything and unloaded our own boxes at the new place in Houston. They have the full service option available too, where they do everything, but it cost more.

I highly recommend those guys.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
Graebel moved us from Seattle to Houston, including cars. Full service packing, moving. Nothing broken, everything accounted for and on time!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
I worked a couple summers during college for one of the BIG nationwide moving companies. I'll tell you right now, experiences with any of the big national chains is going to vary GREATLY on a cross country move. It's all dependent on the particular driver you get and the local office he gets his day workers from.

First thing I'd recommend is checking out movingscam.com to get tips on what to look for in a mover. They also have a blacklist of scammers you want to avoid... and plenty of recommendations on reputable movers. I used them to find my moving company when I came here from Connecticut... and ended up having a great experience.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
FDO

105 posts, read 315,162 times
Someone has refer me to PODS. for moving. Does anyone have any experience using them.Thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 03:11 PM

322 posts, read 710,329 times
We used Graebel's. Excellent service, hard workers. From movers, i find you get what you pay for. If you go cheap, you'll get more charges for each thing, including removal of boxes. And look for a company that hires their workers directly, not subcontracts them.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM

47 posts, read 134,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
Graebel moved us from Seattle to Houston, including cars. Full service packing, moving. Nothing broken, everything accounted for and on time!
Can you give me the approximate cost of your move?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 PM

101 posts, read 307,301 times
We moved a couple of years ago from Iowa to Houston, and used Allied. The national chains are only as good as the local agent who handles the move Maher Bros in Iowa City was the agent for Allied, and they were recommended by a friend.

Couldn't have been happier with the move. They packed, loaded, and unloaded super eficiently. Service was beyond excellent. They moved one of our cars inside the truck trailer. There quote was a couple of thousand $ less than Graebel or United.

We have also used PODS in the past, and were pretty happy with their service. They drop off a PODS unit, you fill it up, they take it away and store then move it wherever you want. Can be a tad pricy thogh.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
We've moved numerous times, criss-crossing across the country with the Major Oil company my DH works for. Have used all the major moving companies, some of them two or three times. I can tell you the move will only be good, as the Crew you have! One move was perfect with Bekins and another, a disaster just because if the crew. A loading crew can do a perfect job, and the unloading crew at the other end of the trip could be complete goof-offs. We have actually sent crews home and demanded replacements. I wish you luck...We will actually be going through the same process again in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston