Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

From my understanding that depends on the school district and its particular policies with AP/IB classes. I would imagine that it is up to the school district, or even school, on who is admitted into these classes. The AP and IB organizations do not dictate who is admitted into the classes; they dictate the coursework.

There are public high schools that adequately prepare kids for university studies, and there are public high schools that do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
Public high schools are not preparing students for college that is why there is a problem of students going into college not prepared. This has been discussed in the media. AP courses are not provided to everyone, you must be selected based on academic record. The IB program is the same way. Just because you want your child to take AP or IB courses it won't happen unless a student meets the criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 15,423 times
Default There is a new school being built in Sienna K-8

My wife and I are frustrated with FBISD also. We are excited because t
there is a brand new k-8 Christian school being built next to Ridgepoint HS.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaresident View Post
My wife and I are frustrated with FBISD also. We are excited because t
there is a brand new k-8 Christian school being built next to Ridgepoint HS.
Are they the same frustrations brought up in the thread?

What is the name of the school?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 15,423 times
Default new school

the moral in the teachers is down, there are larger class sizes, more teaching to the test and a lot of poor choices in handling the behavior problems at Baines. The new Christian school is going to be called Sienna Lutheran Academy.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 PM

42 posts, read 148,496 times
In Sienna, it's well known that Sienna Crossing and Scanlan Oaks are the better elementary schools. Schiff has a way to go to get to the same level. There are people who use their friends' addresses in other sections of Sienna to get their kids out of Schiff. The same thing went on when Sienna was split for high schools between Elkins and Hightower. But the last of those kids graduate this year and all will be in Ridge Point.

The TAKS is ridiculous. Kids only learn new things in the first semester, while the second semester seems devoted to TAKS preparation. The AP courses are getting out of control too. Because of the top 10% rule, a lot of kids are taking AP that shouldn't just to try to pad their GPA. But are they actually LEARNING?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM

This year TAKS has been replaced by the STAAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herfyjo View Post
In Sienna, it's well known that Sienna Crossing and Scanlan Oaks are the better elementary schools. Schiff has a way to go to get to the same level. There are people who use their friends' addresses in other sections of Sienna to get their kids out of Schiff. The same thing went on when Sienna was split for high schools between Elkins and Hightower. But the last of those kids graduate this year and all will be in Ridge Point.

The TAKS is ridiculous. Kids only learn new things in the first semester, while the second semester seems devoted to TAKS preparation. The AP courses are getting out of control too. Because of the top 10% rule, a lot of kids are taking AP that shouldn't just to try to pad their GPA. But are they actually LEARNING?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM

27 posts, read 74,687 times
you should have check the schools before moving. In Riverstone which is nearby, the rating of elementary schools are 10.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM

174 posts, read 406,878 times
yes, if school is important to you, Riverstone is definitely a better choice, Settlers Way, Fort Settlement are rated exemplary

Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
I think a lot of parents only see hope for their children's future if they graduate from Cornell or Dartmouth or something... as if the parents themselves did. "very good university (not state)". when i went to UT, and when my father went there, it was the number one university in the country (public or private) for engineering. it is also a state school

i hope if i ever become a parent i don't start sounding like some of the posts that keep popping up in these threads

children "magically" make it through our school system and end up doing great things. even in Texas. maybe more attention needs to be focused inward into how kids actually feel about their education, homes and parents.

edit: and i know it's fun to go "THIS POST IS RIDDLED WITH MISSING CAPITALIZATION AND PUNCTUATION!" im a generation younger than most of you. internet forum = not serious business

Old 10-25-2011, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 148,496 times
Testmo - The problem we parents of almost-college-age kids face is that Texas state schools like UT and A&M are almost to the level of Cornell or Dartmouth due to the state admissions rules. Not that the quality of education is the same, but due to the Top 10% rule, there are a lot of very good students who can't get accepted. And so begins the calf scramble to find the right school for your kids. Believe me, it is not fun to put this much pressure on the kids but for those of us who can't afford a private university, our options are limited. Since you went to UT not so long ago, I'm assuming you were in the top 10% of your school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston