Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM

74 posts, read 135,801 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any good/bad things to say about this Catholic school in the Bunker Hill area? Anyone try the commute from Katy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
It has a good, affordable repuation in the Houston area. I think it gives a solid,however not a rigorous education, according to many of my friends who do, and have had, children who attended. The core values are enforced most of the time, however if your family is a big contributor to the school/church, your child can be a problem and not get kicked out. It's a good feeder the Strake and St. Agnes,as is St. Michael's,Grace and St. Francis.

If you care about middle school sports, it's not very good.

For Catholic primary and middle schools, Regis and Duchense are the strongest but the most costly and hardest to get into. The perks are that they are High Schools as well.

It depends where you live in Katy. But say you live at the Grand Parkway Ramp, it could take over 30 minutes to get there. I would say most of the students are from the Memorial/Tanglewood/Briargrove areas. So you need to think about that for play dates.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
I'd really think about this kind of a school commute for a child. EA is right that most kids here are 77024 residents & you're not going to find many parents wanting to drive a one hour round-tripper to pick up their child from Cinco Ranch. Aren't there Catholic schools in Katy?

My observations of St. Cecelia's academics is that they're on par with the better public schools in this area. I see kids transfer in & out without having to play catch up on either end.

The tutition is the lowest in the area & several hundred cheaper/ mo for church members.

I have to be honest, that hour long round-trip commute for your child to play with a school friend concerns me alot.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM

208 posts, read 552,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I'd really think about this kind of a school commute for a child. EA is right that most kids here are 77024 residents & you're not going to find many parents wanting to drive a one hour round-tripper to pick up their child from Cinco Ranch. Aren't there Catholic schools in Katy?

My observations of St. Cecelia's academics is that they're on par with the better public schools in this area. I see kids transfer in & out without having to play catch up on either end.

The tutition is the lowest in the area & several hundred cheaper/ mo for church members.

I have to be honest, that hour long round-trip commute for your child to play with a school friend concerns me alot.
All the private schools are in aligned to the TAKS curriculum, BUT the only difference is they cover subjects in depth OR may teach a subject one year ahead. Teaching a subject one year above grade level can make a curriculum more rigorous. Private schools have to offer something up more than public which is not hard to do first of all because every student has their own book in each subject whereas at the public school there are barely any books for each subject and not enough. Anyone can open up a private school and it has been happening and do more than what students are getting for free.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Private schools aren’t subject to the federal No Child Left Behind Act, and aren’t mandated to give the TAKS test, nor are they forced to follow any TAKS curriculum. They do however have a test called the ERB. But the child can move on to the next grade based on preformance, not on a standard test result. You need to research the enrichments they are offered, which the public system has kicked to the curb.

St. Cecilia, nor any of the better private schools within the beltway, are not some "hack" private school that just opened.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM

49 posts, read 127,403 times
I toured recently. I was relatively impressed, and I am a school skeptic. When we passed through the Kindie room they were set up for a spelling test and one of the moms was told that most kids entered K reading. My out of state kindies barely had to write words in K, I can't believe that the local publics are much different.

I think they do work about a year ahead of the publics, with the kids leaving middle with high school Algebra. They can have class sizes up to 25, at least in the upper elem grade I cared about, but seem to run closer to 20-22. They don't have some of the clubs like robotics or chess you might find at other schools, but seem to have a very active school community and lots of sports and scouting.

If you are Catholic and join the parish it seems to be one of the best education deals around, coming in at almost 1/3 the cost of some of the others if you have more than one child.

I'd listen to what the local experts say about commuting, are you already locked into housing?

I think you are on the right track looking for private schools, good luck.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Aren't there Catholic schools in Katy?
There are no Catholic K-8s within Greater Katy.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 PM

Thank you all for the advice. We also looked at John Paul II. I know the commute does not sound reasonable according to most reports here but it is a similar mileage commute as the Cincinnati area but I hear the traffic is worse. We had always intended on our child attending catholic school; however, living in the Katy area is the best for us due also to my husband's commute to the Sealy area. We are coming from an area where Catholic schools are very predominant and the size of the public schools in Ohio are so much smaller than Katy.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1030 View Post
Thank you all for the advice. We also looked at John Paul II. I know the commute does not sound reasonable according to most reports here but it is a similar mileage commute as the Cincinnati area but I hear the traffic is worse. We had always intended on our child attending catholic school; however, living in the Katy area is the best for us due also to my husband's commute to the Sealy area. We are coming from an area where Catholic schools are very predominant and the size of the public schools in Ohio are so much smaller than Katy.

JP II is almost too small. I'd give it an "eh."

the commute from Memorial to Sealy is 30 minutes....

Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 PM

How is the Memorial Area for housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston