U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM

433 posts, read 1,831,056 times

Advertisements

We bought a digital converter box/tuner and it sucks. We've had it for almost a year with the bunny ears and it just died. Are there any other options? I am not technologically-savvy, and so far I've just been watching hulu/netflix on my computer. I would love if we could get this TV situation fixed..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 PM

7,267 posts, read 10,627,662 times
DTV is a joke just try to watch 39 it is 3 times worse than before the picture chops about every 15 to 30 sec. If you search around the net you will see people saying they only get 3 to 4 channels that are watchable before DTV they got 10 to 12 watchable channels. DTV needs like 50% more power than the FCC allows for most stations to be watch able. DTV signal is like 65% wider than old analog signal & needs like 50% more power to make it a good clean signal

Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM

49,510 posts, read 70,741,371 times
Yes: a big paper clip and a piece of aluminium foil. I am NOT kidding!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,731,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
DTV is a joke just try to watch 39 it is 3 times worse than before the picture chops about every 15 to 30 sec. If you search around the net you will see people saying they only get 3 to 4 channels that are watchable before DTV they got 10 to 12 watchable channels. DTV needs like 50% more power than the FCC allows for most stations to be watch able. DTV signal is like 65% wider than old analog signal & needs like 50% more power to make it a good clean signal
Not all true.

ChicagoMama, it may not be your converter box. Elnina is right, you simply just need a good antenna. I have several TVs, old and new. Some use the converter box and some don't. For indoor, the one that works the best for me is the rabbit ears type antenna. My TV picks up about 35+ channels. Unfortunately, some are not in a language that I can understand. And, they come through very very clear.

I have purchased a roof antenna about $65 but have not install it yet. With that antenna, I'm expecting to pick up at least 55 channels if not more. This is the reason why I don't see the reason of paying more for cable. I think if someone is a sport geek, then, it makes more sense of having cable. Other than that, many shows can be watched on the internet too.

Depends on where you live and with a real good antenna, you can practically pick up almost 100 channels from local and surrounding areas such as Galveston and Conroe.

If you still have the old rabbit ear antennas, get it out and give it a try. If not, Walmart, Best Buy and a few other places sell them for about $10/each.

Once you've connected the new antenna, reset your converter box to pick up the air channels again. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM

8,373 posts, read 29,027,626 times
Get a $20-30 powered rabbit ear. "Powered" means it plugs into the wall with a small transformer. Elevate it up high on a bookshelf-- get the tip of the antenna to nearly touch the ceiling.

I have one in the guest room that picks up around 50-60 channels depending on the time of day. Unfortunately half of them are not 100% English. Those cheap Vietnamese channels are a trip sometimes, though.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,731,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Those cheap Vietnamese channels are a trip sometimes, though.
ROFL... many of them are stuck in the 70's, some in the 80's, and some just want to look like someone else that they were not borned to be! Like altering their faces to look like Westerners (Americans, Europeans, etc.). Basically, they just don't want to look like Asians. I still don't understand the whole concept of it . I should know, I'm one . Hey BUT! ...not with those things that I just described.

My parents taught me well: To be proud of my culture and never forget where I came from. I'm not ashamed to speak in my own native language neither. Actually, I really like it. In addition to this, I'm also very appreciative to have the previlege of becoming a US Citizen. When I was little, I almost had an Italian citizenship too. It would have been more interesting.

Ok sorry, back to the subject. Thanks for mentioning those power antenna. I got a few of them too. Some works well, some are just junks. So, read alot of reviews, it helps .

Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 PM

433 posts, read 1,831,056 times
So are you guys saying I don't need the converter box, or I need it with the big old antenna?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM

49,510 posts, read 70,741,371 times
One of my (plasma) TV works better with the paperclip and alu foil only, so I guess, you have to try it and see what works best for you.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM

6,870 posts, read 13,906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
So are you guys saying I don't need the converter box, or I need it with the big old antenna?
You'll need both the converter box and antenna. I don't think it has to be big though. Just a good one that won't die after a year of use. I ran into the same problem but just never replaced the converter box and antenna. I do all my viewing through Netflix, Hulu, and network sites. I even watch sports online. Watched all of March Madness online.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,441,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
ROFL... many of them are stuck in the 70's, some in the 80's, and some just want to look like someone else that they were not borned to be! Like altering their faces to look like Westerners (Americans, Europeans, etc.). Basically, they just don't want to look like Asians. I still don't understand the whole concept of it . I should know, I'm one . Hey BUT! ...not with those things that I just described.
you do know that illegitimate vietnamese kids from unknown US military non-asian fathers were persecuted and received a free ticket and US citizenship right? not looking 100% vietnamese is a ticket out of that communist country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston