Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,579 times

Advertisements

No point living in yesterday. All you can do is move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And again, most of that was people who were fighting each other in New Orleans started fighting each other again in Houston. Besides, Houston's crime rate was already rising before they came.
Oh, well than that's okay! I don't mind violent crime in my neighborhood as long as it is targeted crime -- oh happy day!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
I'll save all the new orleans/hurricane katrina drama for yo momma...its old news...but, I still think FEMA is paying rents for some of those sorry azz mofo's..smh...dayum

back to this great city of Houston....this place seems like it has doubled in the last 10 years....and I think the abundance of all the cheap land, the affordable housing and the "build it and they will come" attitudes that were prevelant in the early 2000's is the reason this area has expanded by leaps and bounds.

In the mid 90's, if you told someone you lived in Katy or Fulshear or Pearland or the Woodlands, Cypress, Richmond/Rosenberg, Baytown or channelview...people would say you lived out in the boomdocks...you were in way out in the "country"....

however, thats not the case now....all of those areas I listed above have exploded with new homes, retail development, way too many taj mahal type schools, new roads, traffic issues and problems that come with too much competetion.

In 2000, the biggest player in town was Enron....the Astros new ballpark downtown was Enron Field...Enron sponsored so much stuff around here, but it was something really dirty about those guys on smith st. Dynegy was their step brother....they employed probably 10k people combined downtown.....each of them were practically worthless on paper, cooking the books to keep the stock price up, and that led to their eventual demise...enron is gone....dynegy is barely hanging on

who can forget tropical storm allison in June of 2001? she dayum near destroyed Houston with five straight days of rain, causing major flooding to downtown, the medical center, greenway plaza, meyerland, all the neighborhoods that are close to bayous or creeks, and it led to some massive re-allocation plans, flood plans, and govermenment purchases of private homes in flood areas..

all of the freeway work that started on I-10 West(Katy freeway) is finally complete...59 North was finally completed.....45 north and south, 290 west and possibly the worst freeway in Houston right, 288 south to Pearland, are all in needs of major upgrades.

Houstons sports teams were awful, and still are...Texans only one winning season in 10 years....Astros went to the world series in 2005, only to be swept, and havent sniffed the playoffs since....Rockets had T-mac and Yao and we should have had at least one championship with those two, but we didnt even get a series win with them BOTH on the floor together..

We did get a super bowl, which was awesome....nba all star game, which was good, but was a sleezy hoe fest in the entertaiment aspect...final four just left, and will come back in 2016.

I will come back and finish later....heading home.
Awesome!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Oh, well than that's okay! I don't mind violent crime in my neighborhood as long as it is targeted crime -- oh happy day!
And the crime rate quickly went down a few months later, once they realized their **** wouldn't fly in Texas like it did in Louisiana.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And the crime rate quickly went down a few months later, once they realized their **** wouldn't fly in Texas like it did in Louisiana.
You sure it wasn't because that's about when many of them started to return to New Orleans? I really doubt it's because our cops were just nothing like they had ever experienced in the Big Easy.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM

What's the BIG difference in the skyline?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
You sure it wasn't because that's about when many of them started to return to New Orleans? I really doubt it's because our cops were just nothing like they had ever experienced in the Big Easy.
If anything it's because of more competition from MS-13 and some of the other Hispanic street gangs in the drug dealing market.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 PM

This is about to get closed like all my other ones.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
This is about to get closed like all my other ones.
I know, they are acting like Katrina was the only thing that happened in the past 10 years. Common man, like it or not the people that are left are Houstonians now. They are part of our society and they have just as much right to be here as we do.

now lets just move on and give the NOLAns a break.
Lets talk about our new roads, and new neighborhoods and rehabilitation of old ones

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
It is no different today than when I came here the summer of 1948. There was always an air of expectation of something good happening.
It just keeps getting bigger. New buildings, roads etc. The people are about the same. Some days I think we all are a lot dumber, but something good happens and that thought passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston