Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I guess you could ask that question about air travel: "Does Dallas have any useful public transportation within the city? Houston sure doesn't. Someone takes this airplane from Dallas to Houston and then what? Rent a car to get where you are going?"
True, but the airports I've seen have a much better infrastructure set up for taxis, buses, and rental cars than the train stations I've seen. Not to mention surrounding lodging, parking, fueling, and freeway access.

Do you know where Houston's Amtrak station is located and what it looks like in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Why do we need this? How often is would someone use this rail line. The key is, would it be faster or cheaper than taking Southwest to Love field. I highly doubt it.

Agree here. Ultimately, if gas goes to say, $10 a gallon, then yes, things will change (both on private car usage and airfares).

I fly often between Houston and Dallas. San Antonio and Austin? Too close, I live on the west side of Houston and can be at my Dad's apartment in San Antonio in 3 hours flat/ my buddy in Austin in 2. Since places I go in Dallas tend to be in far north Dallas, Plano, or Arlington, it's another hour over the 4 hours from Houston to Dallas (and somebody please spare me the "It takes you 4 hours to get from Houston to Dallas? Ok, NO: if you count Conroe and Red Oak, that's about 2.5-3 hours. From my house, I have to drive an hour to get to Conroe at, say, 4:00 pm. Get to Red Oak, you're 45 minutes from Plano with no traffic. So yes, it really does average close to 4 hours---from my house at Briar Forest/Kirkwood to my buddy's house at Midway/LBJ, he and I have both timed it both ways on all types of days and all types of weather and it's 4 hours.).

If I've got lots of time and want to incorporate a weekend with a business trip, I drive. If I've got to be back in the office the next morning at 8:00, flying is the only way.

For me to consider high speed rail, it'd have to be comparable in price to Southwest and close to the same amount of time (about 2 hours, my house to rental car in Dallas).

A better use of the money might be to fix up our EXISTING rail system. It used to work, but it doesn't any more.

Oh, and agree re: terrorists and airport-style security. All it's going to take is one terrorist bombing of a heavily loaded train (probably in the Northeast somewhere) for the knee-jerk reaction to start and have airport-style security at the train station.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Do you know where Houston's Amtrak station is located and what it looks like in the area?[/quote]

Its in the 1st Ward near the main post office. Not much too it, a counter, vending machines, and some chairs.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Do you know where Houston's Amtrak station is located and what it looks like in the area?

Its in the 1st Ward near the main post office. Not much too it, a counter, vending machines, and some chairs.[/quote]

Amtrak doesn't get the proper funding to upgrade its tracks and stations outside the Northeast. This is mostly blamed on the Southern politicians who have there bathtubs full of $$$ given to them by the Oil companies which receive 50 Billion in Subsides each year... That should end , which would allow for fair Private Transportation competition...

Old 05-11-2011, 12:57 PM

279 posts, read 724,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
Who takes a plane from Dallas to Houston? There would be minimal time savings and it probably costs more.
Enough for Southwest to have flights between Hobby and Love every half-hour.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
True, but the airports I've seen have a much better infrastructure set up for taxis, buses, and rental cars than the train stations I've seen. Not to mention surrounding lodging, parking, fueling, and freeway access.

The airports have lots of space, and have had the luxury of decades, to get their amenities and off-airport transportation into shape (and at many airports it is still sadly lacking).

As far as AMTRAK goes, if our transportation planners can't learn from the failures of AMTRAK (the political and financial), then I agree that high speed rail will be an expensive joke. I'm hoping, but skeptical, that the smart people who study this for a living can get to work and that the politicians will stay out of it, and not load it up with pork or requirements that can't be met. Given how polarized this country seems to be these days, it is amazing that anything beneficial every gets done.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its in the 1st Ward near the main post office. Not much too it, a counter, vending machines, and some chairs.
Amtrak doesn't get the proper funding to upgrade its tracks and stations outside the Northeast. This is mostly blamed on the Southern politicians who have there bathtubs full of $$$ given to them by the Oil companies which receive 50 Billion in Subsides each year... That should end , which would allow for fair Private Transportation competition...[/quote]

Amtrak shouldn't "get" the funding they need, they should "earn" the funding they need. But they can't. Because nobody wants to pay three times as much to ride a train for days when they can get on a plane and be somewhere in a few hours.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Amtrak doesn't get the proper funding to upgrade its tracks and stations outside the Northeast. This is mostly blamed on the Southern politicians who have there bathtubs full of $$$ given to them by the Oil companies which receive 50 Billion in Subsides each year... That should end , which would allow for fair Private Transportation competition...
Amtrak shouldn't "get" the funding they need, they should "earn" the funding they need. But they can't. Because nobody wants to pay three times as much to ride a train for days when they can get on a plane and be somewhere in a few hours.[/quote]

Ridership has been climbing , they deserve it now more then ever.....

Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
The airlines are not profitable. We will be bailing them out again (remember post-9/11?) unless fuel prices take a dive soon. We will have to, because we don't have the infrastructure in place to function without the unprofitable airlines.

Transportation infrastructure costs more than the revenues it can bring in. Fact. Doesn't matter if it's road, rail, air, sea, doesn't matter. That said, are you willing to see how we get on without it?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
If only amtrak didn't have to share the same tracks as freight trains. They are much more comfortable than plane rides and less stressful. I don't mind the days travel but I understand most do. I've been on the Texas eagle and the trip from Chicago to DC. Very scenic and enjoyable. However, people need to understand that high speed rail is only regional. I would take it if it was national but I'm one of a few. It is not going to replace the airplane as far as national travel. It's perfect for the Northeast and maybe perfect for the budding California area, Texas Triangle, and Chi-Pitts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston