Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM

39 posts, read 154,766 times

Advertisements

Greetings all.. just wanted to know if anyone has used a great home inspector in the north houston/ spring area. anything to look for when choosing? thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
I'd probably ask for a sample report to see what kind of things they check. Will they get in the attic? Up on the roof? Will they do a water level check to see if the foundation is level? How thorough is the HVAC inspection? I'm sure most inspectors do all this stuff, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
l3m

105 posts, read 291,982 times
Sandy Baker
Baker Real Estate Inspections
Professional Inspector TREC
International Code Counsel Combination Residential Inspector 8002272-R5

30611 N. Holly Oaks Circle
Magnolia, Texas 77355
Phone: 281-352-9252

Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingtoome View Post
Greetings all.. just wanted to know if anyone has used a great home inspector in the north houston/ spring area. anything to look for when choosing? thanks all
The most important thing to look for is one you feel comfortable using. There are many criteria lists floating around that provide suggestions on what to look for, what to ask, etc. These lists are only good starting points for creating your own list of what would be important for you to have in an Inspector. On your list only select the items that you can definitively verify. For example if you want an Inspector that has "X" amount of experience in "Y" subject knowledge then make sure you have a way to verify what they tell you. I see a lot of claims on Inspectors' WEB sites about this or that experience and/or training. For example I see a lot of "20 years experience in the building industry", "built over 200 homes", but then that same Inspector makes a post on a BB that really makes me question their claims!

Don't be "Wowed" by the use of high tech equipment. These are tools that only supplement, and do not replace, ability and knowledge. No offense to kreeyax but I own a digital level test set and quite frankly glad it was given to me and I did not buy it. I can WOW you with a digital level but what will it really tell you? Sure your foundation is being recorded as having a 1" level difference from one side of the home to the other. But can you feel the level difference? The human body can detect a 1" level difference in a short span. What was the span from one side of the home to the other? Was it 100 feet or 20 feet? There is a big perception difference between them. If I do provide you with a foundation level measurement diagram that displays a 1" level difference in 100 feet that neither you or I could physically detect then is it important enough to kill the deal over? Probably not but I'll bet it would be in the back of your mind unnecessarily as long as you own the home! Also the digital level does not know if the point it is set on is actually a tilt in the foundation, a poorly screeded (smoothed) slab, or an error by the person using it. By the way most of those out there using the digital level are not even performing a standard analysis measuring pattern and procedure so all you're buying is smoke and mirrors.

If you have not put an offer on a home yet (no contract or option period) and you have a little time then email me and we can discuss some of the finer points of selecting an Inspector. I would be happy to help if I can.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,794 times
Actually, the most important thing is to find the inspector with the least number of pages of disclaimers stapled to the front of their report.

( Disclaimers pointing out that even though you are paying them a good wad, they aren't liable for any incompetence that may become apparent on their part )

Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
get a sample report. It should be between 20-50 pages with pictures. I would have suggested getting a recommendation however, we did that and were not satisfied with his report. It was 9 pages with no pictures. We liked the people that did the inspection on our house so hired them instead to do our new house and were very pleased. Hope that helps!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,612 times
I second on a report sample. I will then see how much details are covered.

Based on my experience even a great inspector will miss things. No one is perfect. The questions is more of "how much" does he miss? 3% of an entire structure or insignificant issues is OK. 10% or major issues is not acceptable.

They miss things because they just got to this house. The see the first (and only) time in their life. Some things takes time to stand there and watch to see. Some things takes more time to knock and test.

3-6 months after an inspection I found a few more minor issues that my inspector left out. I am not upset, probably no owner before me even new about them.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 PM

58 posts, read 86,145 times
Richard Washington inspected a home for me in Katy. He provided a detailed pdf with pics of the home inspection. You can check out his site rwhomeinspections. I searched this forum for a home inspector and he came highly recommended.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
My take on this. Yes details are important and sure, 20 or 40 pages for what I care are good, mostly not.... But what is really important from an inspector is to point out big ticket items, show stoppers. No house building is perfect but some things are either not reversible or will cost you a pretty penny few years later.

Don't bug yourself down in 40 pages of silly details and miss the stuff that really matters. Get the really important stuff from an inspector, so make sure that you, 1.find the right capable inspector and 2. set your expectation straight

Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldreece View Post
From first time homebuyers to savvy investors, a good home inspector professional is a key member of your team. The best home inspectors are very knowledgeable of the various systems in a home like the foundation, roof, mechanical systems, plumbing, and appliances. Being knowledgeable is just the first component. Your inspector should be an excellent communicator. Verbally answering questions on the day of the inspection and through the detailed written report identifying defects in a narrative format that is easy to read for the client. The report should include numerous digital photos to help identify key defects. Those are the basics of being a good home inspector. When you want the BEST home inspector, hire a professional engineer to complete your inspection as you will receive professional advice from an engineer certified by the Texas Board of Professonal Engineers. A licensed professional engineer will be able to provide you insight on structural and mechanical issues that a typical home inspector will not be able to answer. Also, ensure that your inspector has a supra key. This is a convenience to the client and realtor to ensure the inspection can start timely without a hitch. EDP Engineers and Inspectors has all the aforementioned qualities and you should give them a call at 281.416.9660 or book your appointment online

oops.

Gerald Reece, PE | LinkedIn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: