Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM

346 posts, read 739,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
New Territory in Sugar Land is like a small town. Everywhere you go, you see people you know. So not all suburbs are cold and unfriendly places.
I completely agree, I dont think all suburbs are like that, and I believe that developers have finally figured out that people do like to have amenities within walking distance in their neighborhoods and are developing more comprehensive mixed use suburban space. Which is why I said "most" suburbs, some of the newest developments are different though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
Well, I have done more research, thanks mostly to all the great posters in CD. This is what I have gathered so far.

1. Houston is a city that grew up in the era of cheap oil. Therefore, the automobile rules!

2. Living downtown (I mean anywhere inside the loop in one of the interesting neighborhoods) will give me one of three options. First, I can wish with all my might that my hubby made more money so we could live in Memorial Park and rub elbows with the big oil execs and my kids can go to great schools. Or, I could live in one of the other neighborhoods that are still *really* expensive and be house poor. Or, I could live on the east side of Houston (where it is less expensive) and have a flare stack in my backyard. Yuck!

3. The other option which is appealing to me more and more (which believe me shocks me! ) is to live in a burb that has bus service to Houston. This way, I can go to the city if I need to and use public trans to get around. It also allows me to take the kids to the city for fun things to do during the summer so they don't get bored. And, I don't have to be house poor.

Lastly, heat and humidity won't deter me from walking or riding me bike. I understand that it can get pretty hot there in Houston, but it can't be worse than riding my bike or walking in subzero temps The warmer weather is a huge factor in wanting to move there. I'm sooooo sick of a winter that seems to just hang on.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great replies and taking the time to educate me on what Houston will be like.

Take care,
Kris

Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Aw, don't give up, Kris! Personally I love my neighborhood, in the Meyerland area, just outside the loop. 1960's homes, super-friendly neighbors. We walk to the pool, walk to the park, walk to the kids' school, and will walk the kids to camp this summer. Neighbors hang out in the front yards and chat. We take our boys to the neighborhood Little League. It's all about as small-town as you can get, while being close to town. There's also a bus that runs right into town, and a trail along the bayou right into town, perfect for a bike ride. And nice homes can be found under 250K. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post

2. Living downtown (I mean anywhere inside the loop in one of the interesting neighborhoods) will give me one of three options. First, I can wish with all my might that my hubby made more money so we could live in Memorial Park and rub elbows with the big oil execs and my kids can go to great schools. Or, I could live in one of the other neighborhoods that are still *really* expensive and be house poor. Or, I could live on the east side of Houston (where it is less expensive) and have a flare stack in my backyard. Yuck!
Depends on what your budget is. We lived inside the loop in Houston in a very nice townhouse (approx. 3000 square feet) for a bit over $400k in a neighborhood we were happy with. We are moving back this summer and a bit more focused on schools this time around so mainly looking West University and Bellaire for public schools (at a bit higher price range) or the same area we lived in before for a similar price as before but need to send the kids to private school.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Kingwood is one of the suburbs that has some level of walkability/bikeability. There are park and rides to downtown, but not good transit otherwise. It would not be a bad drive to Galena Park.

I would also look at Bellaire, but as mentioned would be expensive. Walkable to Lamar High School (inside the loop) would be majorly expensive but would work OK for not having a car I think!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Oh - Kingwood Park & Ride actually does have mid-day service which many park & rides do not have - so that would help some. I actually think you could maybe find a house that is walkable to all school grade levels AND to the Kingwood Park & Ride. That would be hard to do in most suburban neighborhoods. Kingwood also has a network of greenways so walking and biking is much more pleasant. (They are not highly advertised outside of Kingwood because they are supposed to be for residents.) You really might want to check out Kingwood as an option.

(It is 2 miles from Kingwood High School to the Kingwood Park & Ride so if you could find something roughly halfway in between - you would only be a mile from each! Elementary and middle schools would probably also be quite close, but you would need to check zones. Kingwood schools are in the Humble school district.)

Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Just buy what is suitable for you and welcome to Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Oh - Kingwood Park & Ride actually does have mid-day service which many park & rides do not have - so that would help some. I actually think you could maybe find a house that is walkable to all school grade levels AND to the Kingwood Park & Ride. That would be hard to do in most suburban neighborhoods. Kingwood also has a network of greenways so walking and biking is much more pleasant. (They are not highly advertised outside of Kingwood because they are supposed to be for residents.) You really might want to check out Kingwood as an option.

(It is 2 miles from Kingwood High School to the Kingwood Park & Ride so if you could find something roughly halfway in between - you would only be a mile from each! Elementary and middle schools would probably also be quite close, but you would need to check zones. Kingwood schools are in the Humble school district.)

Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
What about Summerwood or Fall Creek? Not a bad commute - and Summerwood is close to Lake Houston.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
What about Summerwood or Fall Creek? Not a bad commute - and Summerwood is close to Lake Houston.
Summerwood - great location for the Galena Park commute.

But Kingwood would be a much better choice if you wanted to maintain some level of walking and biking - trails to all schools - and at least a small level of public transportation.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
-Houston is actually quite easy to get around using bicycles in combination with the public metro bus system. The metro buses have bike racks on the front which makes even long trips much, much shorter. But the question is: are you and your family used to biking around in 95 degree weather with %70 humidity? The only thing that makes Houston NOT a bike city is that people won't actually go out and bike in it.

-Living in a suburb will give you zero options for a "hip" or "urban" feeling area. The Houston metro just has too much space and too few people for suburbs to actually have a lot going on, unless your idea of a fun evening is limited to going to Chilis, Starbucks, or pushing the babies around in a stroller. I'm sure being stoned would help. Not for everyone. There is so much more going on in Houston...especially the innerloop area. The only other place I would ever choose to live in Houston besides the inner-loop is the Asiantown area around Bellaire blvd (this is the area in Houston that I believe is the MOST walkable of all).

Last edited by glorplaxy; 05-16-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston