Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone in Houston with experience on Insteon automation technology. I am looking to redo my entire house with Insteon devices all the way from the command center to every possible electrical switch and plugs.
I am doing it all by my self. Any tricks and tips? Any do's and dont's ? I am a technologist so it should't be too hard unless there is something that I don't know about it. Electrical work don't scare me either.

Thanks for help, ideas and guidance.....

INSTEON - Products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Ethan,
Did you end up purchasing any Insteon products? I've been thinking about installing some of their water shut-off valves and maybe one or two light fixtures.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Yes, and it has been running very strong for the past 2 years or so, since I made this post. Very very reliable.
I have about 45 Insteon devices in my house controlled by a MacMini running Indigo software.
The only thing I could't automate are my blinds but I am working on a hardware hack right now to get my Hunter Douglas blinds to work with Insteon. I only had one fan switch go bad from all my Insteon devices, which is not bad at all. Go for it and if you have more questions I will gladly help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Ethan,
Did you end up purchasing any Insteon products? I've been thinking about installing some of their water shut-off valves and maybe one or two light fixtures.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
One of my coworkers showed me a PTZ camera he had set up in his house and how he could turn lights on and off for his dogs using Insteon. I can't believe it hasn't been discussed more anywhere on City-data. I think I'm going to make an order. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
There are home automation forums. Though I am glad I saw this. This is really cheap for home automation. I might do it in my next house.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:33 PM

370 posts, read 612,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
One of my coworkers showed me a PTZ camera he had set up in his house and how he could turn lights on and off for his dogs using Insteon. I can't believe it hasn't been discussed more anywhere on City-data. I think I'm going to make an order. Thanks.
I'm not sure I would want to have the camera's inside my house. I have a friend who is pretty tech savy and showed us a few "hack tricks". My friend can simply hack anyone's camera connected to their router, it's so simple that it's sort of dangerous. I think we are still prone to camera technology. For everything else it's great though, temperature, lights, electricity and water valves.

Overall, Insteon and other wireless technology is awesome. I had two Nest thermostats installed in my Home I just sold, It was very convenient running the a.c. 20 minutes before coming home from work in the summer. A must have for Houston

Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Mac only Macintosh Home Automation Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
There are home automation forums. Though I am glad I saw this. This is really cheap for home automation. I might do it in my next house.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Actuall this is the main automation forum Perceptive Automation - Index page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post

Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
I'm not sure I would want to have the camera's inside my house. I have a friend who is pretty tech savy and showed us a few "hack tricks". My friend can simply hack anyone's camera connected to their router, it's so simple that it's sort of dangerous. I think we are still prone to camera technology. For everything else it's great though, temperature, lights, electricity and water valves.
I agree with you. I have seen and heard the same. I see lot of people at work sit in front of their computers all day and watch their dogs go in and out of the yard or garage. Once, I walked in at someone's office and this guy was watching his wife get dressed for work atleast thats what he said. I am not sure if it was his wife or his neighbors If I want security cameras I want them outside the house and not inside.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
I admit my nest is one of the best things I bought in the last few years. I love being able to adjust my AC from my phone. I could careless about controlling my whole house lights though. I do have my lights controlled from my logitech harmony one in my bedroom and livingroom. You can get a standalone security camera system that is much better. Basically, get standalone for most of the stuff. Use Rainmachine for the sprinklers, nest thermostat, tons of options for lights. I have a combo lock for my doors. No real need to make it remote. Alarms I would just use Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: