Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of the drainage fee?
approve 14 60.87%
disapprove 7 30.43%
haven't really thought about it 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times

Advertisements

Hey yall,

I just want to know what you all think about the new drainage charge that's going to be added to the water bills that was passed last Noember? It's set to go start in July.

I didn't vote on it but it passed by a 1% margin. Did someone do something crooked to pass it over like pay someone to vote it to put it over the top?

First, the city (well Mayor Parker) pulled a metro and misled the public during election time by saying it would only be a $5.00 additional charge added to the water bill. Now they're saying that it could range based on the square footage of impervious space (or non absorbtion)the building or residence. Some of them are as high as $14.00 extra per month.

First, the city of Houston already has some extremely high water and sewer rates. Drainage should already be paid for to improve drainage of streets and flooding already. They go up on the water rates every year. I just think it's wrong that because the city is in all this debt, they have to deceive and rob the public. Just because there may have been some crooked activity going on by these leaders, I don't think the public should be punished.

What do you all think about it. Do you approve or disapprive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
i remember back during the floods all the people complaining about why the city doesnt solve its drainage issues. i dont own a mcmansion as i like to conserve space so my increase is manageable. i am not against paying taxes to start solving a problem.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
My estimate came in and it will be $15.00 a month.

Concreted area includes house & garage foundation, driveway and pool/patio decking. They must have used their Google Earth magic to see in everyone's backyards.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
you can dispute the sqft of space they are basing their prices on. they included the paperwork to do this in the notice

Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
Its great for the city in terms of rebuilding houston's drainage and infastructure needs that the city lacks. Most of the the revenue will come from metro, bush, hobby, reliant, minute maid park, and other big properties that use city services. Also residents in the Missouri City ( Ft Bend Houston) section and kingwood have to pay as well. link www.rebuildhouston.org you can type your own address and see your charge.
Remember if you dispute you must have valid supporting documentation including pictures and square footage numbers.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Win win in my book. The environmental costs of unplanned sprawl that is Houston can be put off, but they won't go away.

If you look into flood management projects, you will see many of them including/using public green space in flood mitigation so we get flood relief and more parks. Again win win.

Last edited by dv1033; 05-16-2011 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Hey yall,

I just want to know what you all think about the new drainage charge that's going to be added to the water bills that was passed last Noember? It's set to go start in July.

I didn't vote on it but it passed by a 1% margin. Did someone do something crooked to pass it over like pay someone to vote it to put it over the top?

First, the city (well Mayor Parker) pulled a metro and misled the public during election time by saying it would only be a $5.00 additional charge added to the water bill. Now they're saying that it could range based on the square footage of impervious space (or non absorbtion)the building or residence. Some of them are as high as $14.00 extra per month.

First, the city of Houston already has some extremely high water and sewer rates. Drainage should already be paid for to improve drainage of streets and flooding already. They go up on the water rates every year. I just think it's wrong that because the city is in all this debt, they have to deceive and rob the public. Just because there may have been some crooked activity going on by these leaders, I don't think the public should be punished.

What do you all think about it. Do you approve or disapprive?
Yes, it should have been a priority to improve the streets and flooding, but the tax structure and funding obviously does not work.

The drainage fee, as long as it remains a dedicated fund, is the only hope we currently have of reducing flooding and improving area drainage.

If we expect any changes under the previous tax and finance scheme, then flood control has to line up along with firefighters and teachers for priority.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
None of you guys think this new drainage fee is a little scandalous?

I mean on the voting ballot, it mislead everyone and said it would be estimated to be about $5.00 per month. Easily Amused, $14.00/month is a long way from $5 isn't it.

And plus, one would think that the drainage is already being paid for through the sewer rates that come with your water bill already. The city is in ovber 90 million dollar debt and has already begun layoffs and payraise freezes. How much do you think is actually going to really be spent on this drainage? I bet after 10 years, Houston is still going to have its flooding problem.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Prime example of a bill that "you gotta pass it before you know what is in it."

Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
It will pay for itself in 10-20 yrs in new streets ( clay grounds ) better drainage gutters and ditches. Wider bayous and pumping stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston