Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times

Advertisements

Not really. It's like Malvie said - you can go for months without seeing one - and then there it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 PM

33 posts, read 62,057 times
The roaches (palmettos, flying roaches, tree roaches, many name) are rarely an infestation problem. We have them here in Louisiana too and they usually make an appearance during the dry summer months when they head inside looking for moisture. You can minimize the temptation by checking for leaks, making sure faucets don't drip, and sealing up external cracks, etc.

They aren't dangerous but they can be downright crafty. If they become a problem, you can buy boric acid tabs. I shove them under baseboard gaps or under heavy furniture, or along inaccessible walls. Just keep them out of the reach of children or pets. But they're pretty darn effective. It causes them to dry up and shrivel from the inside or something. You'll find their half-dead corpses in your tub.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I've been reading through threads about Houston and a few things caught my eye...flying roaches, snakes, feral hogs....doesn't sound like something you normally find in a city...lol. First, how big exactly are these flying roaches??? Are they dangerous? Do they infest your house like the small german cockroaches do? Second, it sounds like from what I read in some posts, that Houston has a snake problem....a venomous snake problem. How many people actually get bit by poisonous snakes? Is this something I really have to worry about? Third, other than Cinco Ranch, are feral hogs a problem elsewhere?

Lastly, a friend of mine told me that I will have to use pesticides on my yard and house or I will be over run by bugs. Is this true? Are there any organic options? I've never used any kind of pesticide on my house or yard before. Except for the occasional ant or spider, we hardly ever see bugs in the house.

Thanks for the info!

Take care,
Kris
Whenever I see those posts that worry about bugs, roaches, snakes, etc... I wonder "where are you from?" Because, shoot, everywhere has it's critters, and everywhere people get by just fine.

Relax you will be fine. Don't read too much into C-D posts from people who have never been here who heard rumours of dog-eating-flying-snakes. To all who sweat these rumours, give yourself a dose of perspective, follow the C-D boards for your own hometown. Read the crazy worries of people who think an earthquake will swallow them whole in San Fran, how they will NEVER see the sun in Seattle, how everyone wears bib overalls and chews on straw in Kansas, how they heard there are dog-eating-flying-lobsters in Maine. You'll be sitting there, reading these irrational fears of your hometown and think, gosh, people living in (San Fran, Seattle, Kansas, Maine, etc...) isn't like that at all!

For the record, I have lived here since 99, I have never encountered a venimous snake, giant roach (a cicada once got in through the front door though) feral pig in my time here. I do treat the yard for fire ants, occasionally spray the house for spiders, but I imagine there are "natural" remedies to these nusiences.

All of this I did after surviving a "mole-like, moldy, dark" childhood in Washington, young adult life in Montana where I did not get swallowed up by a glacier, avalanche, or pack of wolves.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Whenever I see those posts that worry about bugs, roaches, snakes, etc... I wonder "where are you from?" Because, shoot, everywhere has it's critters, and everywhere people get by just fine.

Relax you will be fine. Don't read too much into C-D posts from people who have never been here who heard rumours of dog-eating-flying-snakes. To all who sweat these rumours, give yourself a dose of perspective, follow the C-D boards for your own hometown. Read the crazy worries of people who think an earthquake will swallow them whole in San Fran, how they will NEVER see the sun in Seattle, how everyone wears bib overalls and chews on straw in Kansas, how they heard there are dog-eating-flying-lobsters in Maine. You'll be sitting there, reading these irrational fears of your hometown and think, gosh, people living in (San Fran, Seattle, Kansas, Maine, etc...) isn't like that at all!

For the record, I have lived here since 99, I have never encountered a venimous snake, giant roach (a cicada once got in through the front door though) feral pig in my time here. I do treat the yard for fire ants, occasionally spray the house for spiders, but I imagine there are "natural" remedies to these nusiences.

All of this I did after surviving a "mole-like, moldy, dark" childhood in Washington, young adult life in Montana where I did not get swallowed up by a glacier, avalanche, or pack of wolves.
Best advice I've seen on subjects like this. I've been here 20 years and I have yet to see anything that even resembles a "flying" cockroach. I'm thinking some may be confusing those with June bugs.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 AM

125 posts, read 238,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Best advice I've seen on subjects like this. I've been here 20 years and I have yet to see anything that even resembles a "flying" cockroach. I'm thinking some may be confusing those with June bugs.
Flying cockroaches are for real.

How to Identify and Get Rid of Flying Cockroaches in Your Home

Saw a couple when we lived in Dallas. Flew from somewhere behind me while I was sitting in my recliner, landed on the other side of the room.

Right out of a horror movie.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,424,443 times
I thought the reason I havent seen any waterbugs or roaches in years is that I use Bengal Gold Dry Roach Spray. However, a friend recently told me that it's because I live in Alief and the only vermin that comes into my area is two-legged.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post

Exactly! I wondered the same thing (in bold). I mean we don't have mountain lions, bears, moose, etc. But still doesn't everybody in the continental US have SOME form of critters?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I thought the reason I havent seen any waterbugs or roaches in years is that I use Bengal Gold Dry Roach Spray. However, a friend recently told me that it's because I live in Alief and the only vermin that comes into my area is two-legged.
I don't know about living in Alief but as far as Bengal, that really works! It's mighty strong and good stuff

Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,425 times
The roaches are probably my biggest concern after reading the posts. Thanks for the suggestions on pesticides and on natural remedies. I do suppose every place has its issues. But, at least up here in the north we have a deep freeze that kills most things. However, I am so done with the bitter cold, snow and ice that I am willing to put up with more bugs and bigger bugs. We finally have warm weather here, but of course it is suppose to get cool again Jacket weather in May is really no fun.

Take care,
Kris

Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,358 times
I've seen roaches but they are not a big problem. We took care of ours with Combat Roach motels. A week later- no roaches... months later, still that way!

I've never seen any snakes, mice, rats, wild boar inside of city limits. I'm sure they are around but they are more afraid of you than you are of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston