U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:12 PM

644 posts, read 1,267,789 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through threads about Houston and a few things caught my eye...flying roaches, snakes, feral hogs....doesn't sound like something you normally find in a city...lol. First, how big exactly are these flying roaches??? Are they dangerous? Do they infest your house like the small german cockroaches do? Second, it sounds like from what I read in some posts, that Houston has a snake problem....a venomous snake problem. How many people actually get bit by poisonous snakes? Is this something I really have to worry about? Third, other than Cinco Ranch, are feral hogs a problem elsewhere?

Lastly, a friend of mine told me that I will have to use pesticides on my yard and house or I will be over run by bugs. Is this true? Are there any organic options? I've never used any kind of pesticide on my house or yard before. Except for the occasional ant or spider, we hardly ever see bugs in the house.

Thanks for the info!

Take care,
Kris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM

17,078 posts, read 20,431,822 times
Yes, the roaches fly. They are huge - 2 to 3 inches long. They are not any more dangerous than any regular roach though. You probably won't see them too often. Florida claims not to have these, but they just renamed them Palmetto bugs. <g>

Houston does not have a big snake problem either. The only poisonous ones are the Coral snake, the Copperhead, the Cottonmouth or Water Moccasin, and rarely a Rattlesnake. Brush piles, stacked wood, trash piles, swampy areas and ditches are the favored habitat of snakes, most of which are nonpoisonous. In the subdivisions, snakes are rare except maybe in the creeks and drainage ditches.
The cottonmouth is the only snake considered aggressive.

I have not seen any feral hogs, but I live in Pearland, not in Cinco Ranch.

As for pesticides, we spray every month because otherwise you will have an infestation. Fire Ants are the worst, imo. You will, however, get those little brown spiders, mosquitos, gnats, flies, etc. Spraying keeps them out of the house. We had the same program in Florida.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,745,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I've been reading through threads about Houston and a few things caught my eye...flying roaches, snakes, feral hogs....doesn't sound like something you normally find in a city...lol. First, how big exactly are these flying roaches??? Are they dangerous? Do they infest your house like the small german cockroaches do? Second, it sounds like from what I read in some posts, that Houston has a snake problem....a venomous snake problem. How many people actually get bit by poisonous snakes? Is this something I really have to worry about? Third, other than Cinco Ranch, are feral hogs a problem elsewhere?

Lastly, a friend of mine told me that I will have to use pesticides on my yard and house or I will be over run by bugs. Is this true? Are there any organic options? I've never used any kind of pesticide on my house or yard before. Except for the occasional ant or spider, we hardly ever see bugs in the house.

Thanks for the info!

Take care,
Kris
Answers: Depends on where you live.

Flying cockroaches: 1-3 inches in length; they don't infest as bad as German roaches (and honestly aren't as disgusting to me) but they will pop up at the most unusual--and usually most inconvenient--times. You'll be watching TV and one will zing past you. Never fails to startle. I haven't seen one at my house for months, but that doesn't mean I won't tonight.

I have never seen a snake in Houston, except at the Museum of Natural Science and the Houston Zoo Reptile House. I'm sure they're there, especially if you're wandering around the bayous, but I've not seen one.

Feral hogs: surprisingly, this one's the real deal. They are a growing nuisance in the newer subdivisions which back up to woodsy or "natural" areas. My nephew lives in Sienna Plantation, and while he and his wife have not personally seen them, they have friends whose yards were torn up, etc.

I have never used pesticides here (I don't like them either) and never had a problem (Ok, I used Raid on a nest of Red Wasps on my breezeway last year). Termites are a bit scary, but I have an annual check for that. I give the dogs Comfortis, as fleas are sometimes heavy in summer (Comfortis doesn't seem to hurt the dogs and sure does kill the fleas).

The mosquitoes really are as big as Volkswagens.

Last edited by Malvie; 05-18-2011 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 5,113,386 times
I grew up in Florida and am used to bugs. There are definitely organic options that will help. Diatomaceous Earth and Borax mixed with honey or sugar are excellent.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,758,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post

Thanks for the info!

Take care,
Kris
Our city would be much more populous but sadly 3 out of 4 people moving here are eaten by snakes, giant roaches or feral hogs so I hope you come prepared.

Seriously though I have never seen a feral hog here nor a poisonous snake (we have lots of regular ones though that wander off the gold course in the spring) and no roaches (this was a big problem in deep East Texas but regular bug guy will keep them away).

Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,720,494 times
It's a wonderful world of insects down here . Living down here, you'd eventually learn to either control them or... join & live with them .

Houston is not all city. You're thinking more like down town. The majority of Houston is suburbans where people and animals learn to live together!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,641,346 times
Y'all forgot about the 'gators!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,720,494 times
Btw, not all animals are scary or gross. We also have deers, butterflies, dragonflies, many beautiful and colorful birds. I just love waking up in the morning and greeted by the sound of birds chirping .

Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 PM

48,239 posts, read 69,208,276 times
Giant Water Bugs of the genus Lethocerus, also known as “Toe Biters” – lovely, huh? – grow up to 5 inches (12 cm) long and are the terrors of freshwater ponds, gorging themselves on other insects, crayfish, tadpoles and the odd unlucky fish. When they bite a potential meal (or perhaps, your toe), the bugs inject an enzyme that liquifies tissue making it easy for the bug to slurp up its meal.

Buzz Killers: 10 Of The World’s Biggest, Baddest Bugs | WebEcoist
BTW: Most of us would be happy to avoid Giant Water Bugs altogether but that’s just impossible: they’re so darned tasty!
Giant Water Bugs are a delicacy in Thailand where they’re caught using black (UV) light floating traps.
... YUM!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,477,883 times
I rarely see snakes and I have lived inside of loop 610 almost my entire life. Sometimes you can find a grass snake (harmless) or a water moccasin (venemous) laying underneath a potted plant or a rock, but it's not like there are vicious snakes all around just trying to attack any human that they can.

There are flying roaches. They are not harmful and they are not in all areas. I don't have roaches in this area...or, if I do, at least I don't see them.

There are no feral hogs running around in Houston. In the outskirts, yes, but you are not going to have to worry about being eaten by a large group of hogs just walking around the city streets at night.

Houston is a rather lush, wet, and warm place and as such you should expect biodiversity, but it is still a big, very populated places. Feral hogs would not be able to survive with the amount of traffic in the innercity.

As for pesticides...yes that may be true. I cannot plant many types of things in the ground around here or they will be completely devastated by bugs. Two days ago, I had a pepper plant that was beginning to flower and start making me some peppers, and yesterday it was completely obliterated. You can use a mixture of vinegar, hot pepper powder, and water but I didn't.. Or you can plant things like that in pots, which is what my family has always done without problem. There are many insects here because this is such a good climate for them to thrive in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston