U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times

Advertisements

Hi, myself my husband and 3 kids (8,7 & 5) are making the move to Houston in the next month or two and would like your help. We have heard that both Sugarland and Katy are good family areas to live in and would like your thoughts. My husband has a job already and will be working all over Houston so it doesnt really matter about commute. What area do you think has the best amentities and schools. I would really appreciate any help. Many thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM

65 posts, read 127,785 times
My wife and I have went through the same process you are going through now. We have chosen Katy, even though we don't get to move down till this Summer. It appeared to be hands down the best place we could find for children. We have a 13 and 9 year old and we noticed all the options and experiences they will get to have being raised in Katy. It is amazing all that they can do and be involved in. Your next big choice will be where in Katy though. Good luck with your decision making and with the move in general.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,398 times
Yes, Katy is better. Sugar Land is just too close to bad areas and the crime is worse in those areas. Some of the bad has crept into Sugar Land (like the shootings at the First Colony mall, for example). We have lived in Katy since 2003 and it has blossomed since then. We love it here and Realtor friends say this is definitely the place to be and houses fly off the market like hotcakes. Best spots are south of 1-10, West of Grand Parkway and North of Westpark toll way. Some of Cinco ranch and Grand Lakes spreads to East of Grand Parkway and those areas are just as good.. Nottingham is also a good area with older homes. Grand Lakes, Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grayson Lakes, Falcon Ranch, Falcon Landing and Falcon Point Estates, Lake Point Estates Pine Mill Ranch and Silver Ranch are all good.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,259,018 times
Don't rule out Sugar Land until you visit. As far as crime, there is crime in Katy and Sugar Land, and anywhere else within driving distance of Houston.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,216,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyRees View Post
Yes, Katy is better. Sugar Land is just too close to bad areas and the crime is worse in those areas. Some of the bad has crept into Sugar Land (like the shootings at the First Colony mall, for example). We have lived in Katy since 2003 and it has blossomed since then. We love it here and Realtor friends say this is definitely the place to be and houses fly off the market like hotcakes. Best spots are south of 1-10, West of Grand Parkway and North of Westpark toll way.
West of Grand Parkway is really out there, and constant building of new homes. I think east of Grand Parkway is much better... more established, larger trees, etc.

As far as the Sugar Land comment... just sort of ignorant. The only thing really separating south Katy from the "bad areas" is George Bush Park.

Basically:

Katy = Houston ETJ (meaning Houston has the ability to annex it). Make sure you buy in an MPC or deed-restricted neighborhood if you buy out there. Otherwise, there is no zoning and very little in restrictions.

Sugar Land is its own city, with city services, zoning, a fairly good corporate presence, city hall/town center, and easy access to some of the best areas of Houston like the museum district and medical district.

The schools are good in both.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,696,422 times
This is Houston. Sugar Land and Katy may be their own areas/cities/whatever but overall it's part of the greater Houston area. Crime is everywhere. Greater Houston area = crime in every direction. Shootings can happen everywhere and anywhere. It's really hard to be exempt because the "bad" people have cars and drive all over this city. So regardless of living in a so called "good" area, the bad people know it's good and will drive to conduct business.

Sugar Land is a good area. Katy is too. You need to check both out because SL might be the better fit. Don't rule either out until you check them BOTH out.

Just food for thought.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM

4,097 posts, read 8,169,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
West of Grand Parkway is really out there, and constant building of new homes. I think east of Grand Parkway is much better... more established, larger trees, etc.

As far as the Sugar Land comment... just sort of ignorant. The only thing really separating south Katy from the "bad areas" is George Bush Park.

Basically:

Katy = Houston ETJ (meaning Houston has the ability to annex it). Make sure you buy in an MPC or deed-restricted neighborhood if you buy out there. Otherwise, there is no zoning and very little in restrictions.

Sugar Land is its own city, with city services, zoning, a fairly good corporate presence, city hall/town center, and easy access to some of the best areas of Houston like the museum district and medical district.

The schools are good in both
THIS^^^^^is right on point (psst... I live in Katy)

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

124 posts, read 297,368 times
Both Katy and Sugar Land are good. I suggest you visit them both and decide. Both have: some very good schools, lots of activities for kids and families, nice master planned communities ... and both have property crimes and the occasional crimes on people. As one person wrote - both are suburbs of Houston and crime can happen anywhere in the metro area.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,192,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Basically:

The schools are good in both.
Yes, THIS is correct. The Sugar Land area, overall, is a little smaller than the Katy area, which has 250K+ people. But, only the southern areas of Katy (south of I-10) resemble the look and feel of Sugar Land, since Sugar Land is a zoned city. Katy is more connected to the city (the I-10 corridor is Houston's nicest) and Katy ISD is just a tad better than Fort Bend ISD. Can't go wrong with either place. Crime and home prices about the same in both areas.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM

430 posts, read 1,197,384 times
We faced the same decision: Katy or Sugar Land? Our number one priority was schools, specifically high schools. We narrowed it down to Clements HS (Sugar Land) or Seven Lakes HS (Katy). In the end, we chose to build our house in Katy, but I'm sure we would have been just as happy in Sugar Land. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston