Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:14 PM

29 posts, read 115,288 times

Advertisements

I am asking for VERY basic gardening tips here. Having lived in apartments and condos for my entire adult life this is going to be the first time I have tried my hand at gardening. I am also from Canada so what I do know is not going to carry over to Texas I am sure. When does your growing season start? What kinds of plants are hearty and attractive but low maintenance? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM

84 posts, read 761,438 times
Default Gardening

If you are from BC, I am sure some of what you know will apply, however if you are from the other provinces things will be different. The growing season in Houston is actually 300-330 days depending on where you live in the area. During the winter you can expect a few freezes (Dec-Jan).

<Get plants suited to USDA hardiness zone 8 or 9, or natives>

Growing plants and trees suited to USDA zone 8-9 (check out the Texas map at: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/cemap/hardiness.html) (broken link). If you protect your plants you can grow plants suited to zone 10 with care. Once you choose the correct plants, you need to worry about soil and drainage.

<Install a high quality soil>

Coming from California I was used to well drained soil, however, in the Houston area the soil is a black gum-like clay. The clay is also very basic and this is a problem for many plants (basic soils do not allow the plants to gain access to the nutrients they need). The clay also absorbs and retains water and therefore does not drain. Planting most anything in the native soil will make your experience very difficult. When I first came to the area I killed several trees by not providing adequate drainage. The best soultion is to get a high quality soil that is rich in organic ingredients. When planting you may want to first put small rocks as the bottom layer, sand on the 2nd layer, high quality soil on top of the sand and mulch on top. Get as many rocks, sand and soil as your budget could afford and place it on top of the clay. If you have time you could even remove some of the clay. Make sure the plants are planted high enough so there is adequate drainage (several feet above the ground works best). After plants are in place you will need to add a layer of pine bark or other type of mulch on top. The mulch serves two main functions. The first is to allow plants to retain moisture during our hot days and the second is to help acidify the soil. The mulch naturally breaks down and provides many of the necessary nutrients for an awesome garden. Mulching once in the fall, spring and summer (optional) will really make a difference.

<do not over water, but water frequently during late spring/summer>

Although we get > 40 inches of rain per year in the Houston area, there are occasional dry spells. The best way to keep things growing is to water sparingly, but frequently (every day or every other day depending on the plant). Installation of an irrigation/sprinkler system is the best solution if you have a home with yard. Make sure when your irrigation system is installed that you have as many zones added to it as possible. For a small/medium sized lot at least 5-7 zones, large home 9+ zones.

<Fertilization>

Fertilization is necessary. Do so, with time release granuals usually works best. Fertilize lightly, but frequently. After fertilization, always water in and do not let stand (plants will burn if fertilizer is not activated). Use the appropriate fertilizer for plants (e.g. do not use grass fertilizer on palm trees!). Also do not use liquid fertilizer. Organic fertilizers are best and will be less likely to harm the environment (runoff goes into the sewage system and then into Galveston bay). Using fertilization spikes although helpful can kill plants if not done correctly.

<Native plants work best>

Obviously native plants will grow best since they are best suited to Houston.

<growing tropicals>

check out what people are saying online for zones 8-10, or read the other threads.

Good luck

Last edited by bmglab; 12-06-2006 at 03:16 PM..

Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 PM

29 posts, read 115,288 times
Wow! Thanks that was very comprehensive. I am originally from Eastern Ontario and our soil is a red clay which is also bad for drainage (as per my mother). What a long growing season that is excellent!

Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM

I have family in the Markham (Toronto suburb). Gardening down here is not difficult, same rules will apply with the clay. Stay warm

Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Where I live we have greyish brown clay soil. If we get a good soaking it stays damp for a full week (you'd get a wet butt if you sat on the grass for a few minutes) and takes over two weeks without rain to start cracking.

Is the soil like that in Houston?

I also have some more plant species inquiries regarding the Houston area:

-Hair Grass/Muhly Grass; tall, thin and has thin bright pink plumes when it flowers
-Gumbo Limbo tree; Florida native to zone 9b. It grows really narly and tropical looking.
-Dwarf Palmetto
-Needle Palm
-Cabbage Palm
-Saw Palmetto
-Pomegranate
-Avacado
-Passion Fruit
-Hardy Citrus
-Pecan
-Bird Pepper bush; native in Florida, zone 8b, favorite food of mockingbirds
-South Florida Slash Pine; it handles drought and possibly alkalinity better than regular slash pine.

Slash pine has a mostly bare trunk, most or all of it's branches near the top with very long, stiff, bright green needles. It's often described as superior in timber and ornamental values, compared to Loblolly pine.

For the fruiting plants, describe how well they fruit.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Default soil / palms

You are right about the Chinese / Windmill palm difference that you had mentioned on the other thread. Most people just lump them together, but they are different just like you said. The Palm that you find interesting is not Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm), but rather the more elegant Chinese fan Palm, Livistona chinensis. Amazing looking.
With regard to the soil in Houston, it is exactly as you described the soil you have up north, blackish clay that retains moisture forever and is impossible to get off the shovel when wet. Digging holes are back breaking. Adding water just makes the task even harder. I'll get back to you on those othe palms after Friday (I will be finished with my dissertation. Finally. Friday!). We are adding more palms and amazing plants every month to our property. I cannot believe the progress we have made in just two years!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:00 PM

59 posts, read 315,635 times
We have a giant Pecan in our backyard that is sooo messy. If you plant one,note to self, make sure it's not over your driveway. It produced and abundance of nuts this year but the squirrels had a heyday.

Don't know about the others but you can grow just about anything down here. It is amazing. Soil is another thing. It is so HEAVY. The one problem I have had is certain plants rot. Boy does this soil hold water.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
I also forgot to ask, do any plants perform better in Houston's clay than they would in sand or loam?

I know around here pines don't often do well. There are parts of southern Ontario with sandy soil and it's amazing to see the difference. Their pines and other plants sensitive to prolonged dampness always look fabulous over there.

At the same time a few other trees like black walnut and locust trees usually look sick and sometimes deformed there, some are even purposely planted in front yards and still look wretched, compared to how full and lush they look over here in our clay.

Even weeping willows almost always look full and lush growing in the wild here, though gardening books say they need moist to wet soil and we can go over a month without rain on occaision.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:53 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2btexan View Post
I am asking for VERY basic gardening tips here. Having lived in apartments and condos for my entire adult life this is going to be the first time I have tried my hand at gardening. I am also from Canada so what I do know is not going to carry over to Texas I am sure. When does your growing season start? What kinds of plants are hearty and attractive but low maintenance? Any help would be appreciated.
Well you came to the right person. I am a gardner. What can't you grow anytime of the year?? Do you want decorative plants , shrubs, flowering plants or Fruit trees or?

Old 03-31-2007, 05:58 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,824 times
Lightbulb Hanging Gardens of Houston

I grow oranges, grapefruits, avocados, mangos, tangerines, pears, guava, loquat, Plumerias, bird of paradise, pony tail palms , all kinds of palms, name it I just about grow it. Working on apple trees suited for this area . Tri coloured hoya, etc.... Pecan trees, oaks, bamboo, agave, on and on... Houston is a gardeners paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston