Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,978,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I saw this advertised...I am not affiliated with it so I don't have additional info...they request an "RSVP" to attend:

Houston Energy Industry Expo | Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology
Thanks, but it's a little impromptu. I wouldn't be able to make it, because I still have job responsibilities over here in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Talking about timing.

"Petroleum engineering majors make about $120,000 a year, compared with $29,000 annually for counseling psychology majors, researchers found. Math and computer science majors earn $98,000 in salary while early childhood education majors get paid about $36,000"

Study tells students what their major is worth - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

504 posts, read 1,142,336 times
Go work in Kazakhstan. http://www.tengizchevroil.com/en/

Back in 04 they were doing 3 week shifts. 21 on and 21 off. 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Don't know what kind of needs they have now.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:56 PM

670 posts, read 1,430,814 times
Our Company | BakerHughes.com

Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
That is a Chevron JV and to work in a rotation as an expat you will need to be employed by Chevron and assigned as a secondee to that JV. TCO will not hire you directly and even if they do they will pay you peanuts.
I visited this location many times for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
Go work in Kazakhstan. http://www.tengizchevroil.com/en/

Back in 04 they were doing 3 week shifts. 21 on and 21 off. 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Don't know what kind of needs they have now.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,458,648 times
To OP,
Have you thought about being an oil trader? A friend of mine has a Chemical Engineering background and does this for a living at a big oil company. He had to work his way up though. It took about 3-4 yrs. He also told me about a friend(Chem Eng background) who used to work for Vitol pulling in some serious $$$$.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 PM

222 posts, read 717,365 times
The industry is short drilling engineers right now. The ones I know have a petroleum engineering or mechanical engineering degree. For some reason the reservoir engineers I know have Chem engineering degrees, though many with masters. I would think you could land a job pretty easily right now with your degree and experience given $100 crude and everyone is trying to drill a well. But the rotational work assignment you are looking for might not be a good fit with the majors. If thats not a must have, I would go to each of the majors websites and search on their careers. Shell, Chevron, Exxonmobil, Total, BP, Conocophillips. I know of one major in particular who is giving retention bonuses to its drilling engineers because there is a lot of poaching by the industry for this skill.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,773,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
The industry is short drilling engineers right now. The ones I know have a petroleum engineering or mechanical engineering degree. For some reason the reservoir engineers I know have Chem engineering degrees, though many with masters. I would think you could land a job pretty easily right now with your degree and experience given $100 crude and everyone is trying to drill a well. But the rotational work assignment you are looking for might not be a good fit with the majors. If thats not a must have, I would go to each of the majors websites and search on their careers. Shell, Chevron, Exxonmobil, Total, BP, Conocophillips. I know of one major in particular who is giving retention bonuses to its drilling engineers because there is a lot of poaching by the industry for this skill.
Yep. Finding the opportunity tells you a lot about the engineer.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 PM

561 posts, read 967,139 times
I love the OP's screen name... haha

Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 AM

504 posts, read 1,142,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
That is a Chevron JV and to work in a rotation as an expat you will need to be employed by Chevron and assigned as a secondee to that JV. TCO will not hire you directly and even if they do they will pay you peanuts.
I visited this location many times for business.
Correct. As did I.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,978,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
I looked up several oil/gas company websites, and I got the impression that most of their hands-on petroleum engineers work rotational schedules. Why do you think the Supermajors wouldn't be a good fit for a rotational schedule?

Anyway, a rotational work schedule is a must for me. I don't care much about making big bucks. I doubt I could even get an entry-level upstream position that'd pay me more than I make now and that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston