Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 11,824 times

Advertisements

My dear Houstonians,

I am permanently relocating from Europe to Houston in July. Although I tried to gather as much information as possible on the apartment landscape as well as on the city itself, I still feel that I don't know much about my new home.

For the start I am looking for a modern one bd apartment in the inner circle (rental, safe & clean apartment complex, low-mid rise, hardwood floors, modern appliances, W/D included, approx. 700-1000sqft, max. $ 1,750, preferably Montrose, Midtown, River Oaks, Upper Kirby).

In general, I was wondering if I should look for an apartment in a hotel-like community or if it would be better to live in an apartment owned by individual landlords (we don't really have those hotel-like communities here). I do not really need most of the community-amenities and would prefer a smaller complex, where everybody knows each other (at least that is what I think right now). However it should be a modern place and the people who live there should be more or less in my age group (I am 30) if possible. I also was wondering what I need to look for to avoid common mistakes (when I will visit some of the communities in June). Probably you also have some tipps, what web sources or even communities would be interesting for me (I know the popular ones, however probably you have some insider tipps).

Also I was wondering how to best manage those apartment locators, which we don't have here as well. Am I right to fully trust them in driving me around and finding the best matched community for me or should I independently look for apartments myself? Do they actually find communities, which I would not identify myself (e.g., by searching around on the respective internet pages)? So far I did not really understood, why I might need them to be honest (every community they recommended was already on my list).

As you might have realized, I am a complete newbie with regard to the apartment hunt in Houston. Thus, I would really appreciate your help on how to get started and best find an apartment.

Thanks so much for your great help and support!

Cheers,

Clyde (I have always been a huge Rockets-Fan )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,791 times
You are used to European prices and you will EASILY find an apartment on your first day that meets that criteria with your price. You can get a two bedroom in the best complexes in town for 1700 a month. Just get an apartment locator and have him / her drive you around town.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Have you considered living Uptown? It straddles the Inner Loop. This is where I live and I love it here.

Broadstone Uptown Lofts

Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Broadstone is not a good company. They are horrible to their tenants.
I've lived here a few years now. No problems so far. The only problem I've had so far is I can hear my neighbors stomping around from time to time. They could also be a bit quicker responding to a service call. Other than that I'm satisfied.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM

286 posts, read 739,395 times
I recommend the Estates at Memorial Heights -- lived there for 7 years with no problem. Location is great as is service, but not as expensively decked out as some of the newer places, but has the hardwood floors, W/D, etc.

It's a little outside of your area but you might want to try the Retreat at City Park on TC Jester near 18th street. That is a smaller community, not so modern but has all the features you want, but it's very friendly, clean and quiet and from talking to friends who live there, there seems to be a real sense of community and people do know each other (which is rare in these complexes). As a bonus, they do allow you to paint accent walls (or they did a couple years).

There's also a fairly new apartment complex on West Gray near Montrose -- very modern, very high end (the name is escaping me at the moment) -- with a lot of amenities. The rents are high there too, but with your budget you might want to check it out.

I used an apartment locator to drive me around when I first moved to Houston and it was very helpful since we were able to see a lot more than if I were navigating myself. Make sure the locator knows exactly what you're looking for though and doesn't steer you towards places he/she has deals with. Some apartment locators will also give you a rebate if you list them as a referrer on your rental applications.

You'll easily find something in your price range in the locations you're looking at.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 11,824 times
Awesome!!! Thanks so much for your amazing help! I am now very confident that I'll find a good apartment! Thanks again for your quick responses and your great support!

Cheers, Clyde!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: