Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I agree...even though they are not the sweetest looking creatures but they are so calm and appreciative for kindness
Ha! Years ago I lived near this wooded area in a 2nd floor apartment. My neighbor always left his trash out. I came home at 9pm one night and as I came up the stairs something screamed- I screamed and we went in opposite directions. It was a huge possum that tore into my neighbor's trash bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Any oppossum that fearlessly approached me I would assume was rabid and call animal control. I am an animal lover but that is not typical behaviour for a wild animal.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
uhm I've never heard anyone say to make a pet out of one before nor have I heard that they would even make a good pet.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM

222 posts, read 720,163 times
Last year we had this very sick looking possum outside our back door. It wouldn't move and looked like it was barely alive. Called SPCA and they came and picked it up for free. Apparently there's a wild animal rescue that is part of SPCA.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
Last year we had this very sick looking possum outside our back door. It wouldn't move and looked like it was barely alive.

Was it sick, or was it "playing possum"?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Yeah, I feel like it's the least I can do since our neighborhoods have taken over their homes. I do leave some water out since the drought, the birds love it too. I've seen a couple of cardinals playing when the water sprinklers are running. Poor little guys.

Just done looking at your pets, they are soooo cute!

They are not really my pets. Yes they are soooo cute! They have all grown up and I don't see them anymore. But if any of them were females then I bet any day now they show up on my porch with the little ones knowing that I will help them with food and water until they mature! I posted more photos of them. I loved them and played with them and bonded with them...but once they grew up they stopped coming by. Once in a while one will show up but there are a lot of other coons in the neighborhood and they are very territorial. On many a night I have had to rescue the little ones from the other clans trying to kill them. They would hop up on the fence and watch in amusement as I drug out the broomstick and water hose! They really got a kick out of me waiting patiently as the clan approached my fence and then spraying them with the water hose. I am sure that they were laughing as the vicious clan went running for their lives!

Last edited by TVC15; 05-26-2011 at 12:42 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
Ha! Years ago I lived near this wooded area in a 2nd floor apartment. My neighbor always left his trash out. I came home at 9pm one night and as I came up the stairs something screamed- I screamed and we went in opposite directions. It was a huge possum that tore into my neighbor's trash bag.

That's funny I never heard one scream! One used to come by after the coon invasion for the night was over and I think it was sort of blind. It would be frightened if it heard me peering out the window to watch it and then it would take off like a rocket but bump into everything on my porch before it could find it's way out...poor little ugly creature. I felt so bad for it. When I find the photo of it I wil post it.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Good for you! I feed skinny hungry mommy and baby raccoons...see my photos for proof! I feed them Whole Foods brand 365 cat food and they love it! Make sure you put out a very large clean bowl of water every night for them. The coons love to play in the water and need it to wash down the cat food! They like to wash their hands in it as well and it is so cute to watch!

just be warned.... they WILL kill small pets.... one got a cat of mine a few years ago......

Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
just be warned.... they WILL kill small pets.... one got a cat of mine a few years ago......
I have been warned and the coons walk right around the stray cat that sits on my porch. They seem more interested in killing each other for territory reasons. Actually the stray cat hates them and tries to sit guard but they just ignore him.

Sorry about your cat!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM

561 posts, read 972,433 times
New update: I no longer have the Possum in my garage... it seems to be gone for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston