Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times

Advertisements

Houston: Model City | Newgeography.com

I acknowledge that I live in Kentucky, obviously nowhere near Houston, and am posting this article. "Why," you ask? I am interested in gaining the perspectives of Houstonians about life in their city, development patterns and whether you all agree or disagree with what's written in this short article.

I am also interested in moving to Texas or California employment and with the ultimately ambition of pursuing graduate work in and a career in urban planning. Houston and Los Angeles, while I am not accusing those cities of being altogether similar or different, do seem similar in their post-WWII development patterns. They seem to defy the "traditional" modes of what planning "should be" and, frankly, fascinate me very much.

Thanks in advance for input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 03:08 PM

162 posts, read 554,001 times
i dont think anywhere is a "model" city.
Haters will always find some valid reason to claim its a terrible place, and proponents will always find some valid reason why its so amazing.
No place on earth has it all. and no place in texas, or in houston has it all. There are serious problems in houston, just as there are serious benefits to living here.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Joel Kotkin makes no mention of how our city government is in a budget crisis and that TxDOT is going broke too. But I expect things like that when I read anything Joel Kotkin writes.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,974 times
I love my city, but give me a freaking break---

Gee, Kotkin, you left out:

Urban sprawl
Urban blight
Air quailty
Lack of public transportation
Flooding (due in part to massive overdevelopment)
Half-empty building projects due to overbuilding/spec
Massive traffic jams
Highest property tax in the nation (but no state income tax, by God!)
Crime
Shoddy building codes (note # of apartment fires...)
Poverty/lack of safety net for those who cannot help themselves

the list goes on.

I mean, as I said, I love my city, but that piece was laughable.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Urban sprawl
Urban blight
Air quailty
Lack of public transportation
Flooding (due in part to massive overdevelopment)
Half-empty building projects due to overbuilding/spec
Massive traffic jams
Highest property tax in the nation (but no state income tax, by God!)
Crime
Shoddy building codes (note # of apartment fires...)
Poverty/lack of safety net for those who cannot help themselves
That's all good stuff in Kotkin's world.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times
Crumbling infrastructure, potholes, awful public schools, etc define high tax, big gvt, centrally-planned old cities like NYC or sf, no different than low tax, small gvt tx...but govts and central planners everywhere hate competition to attract taxpayers...and despise mobility of taxpayers...or taxpayers who question where/how their tax dollars are spent/wasted

Employers thus move jobs to various suburban areas where far cheaper to build new campuses closer to the newer suburbs where most workers prefer to reside...and heavy industrial stuff is always in outlying areas away from costly city centers anyway

Physicality and economic relevance of any city is increasingly in doubt as most major companies, including tech as seen in Silicon Valley, and their highest income, most educated workers are based in various suburbs like cupertino, not in any one city or suburb

And mobile computing makes need to be in congested, costly CBD towers an archaic 20th century phenom

Cities like NYC or sf largely exist for visiting tourists, millions of poors and a few 1000 wealthy yuppies...and a few hedge funds that keep offices in CBD towers

Naturally, cities and commies dislike suburbanization and virtualization as it makes it harder to abusively tax the few taxpayers to pay for the millions of non taxpaying welfare class....and jobs can easily flee costly cities for cheaper suburbs....or costly states like ny, nj, ca or il for tx

Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Take a trip down Westheimer from Downtown to Cinco Ranch and you will see this is no model city.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Houston: Model City | Newgeography.com

I acknowledge that I live in Kentucky, obviously nowhere near Houston, and am posting this article. "Why," you ask? I am interested in gaining the perspectives of Houstonians about life in their city, development patterns and whether you all agree or disagree with what's written in this short article.

I am also interested in moving to Texas or California employment and with the ultimately ambition of pursuing graduate work in and a career in urban planning. Houston and Los Angeles, while I am not accusing those cities of being altogether similar or different, do seem similar in their post-WWII development patterns. They seem to defy the "traditional" modes of what planning "should be" and, frankly, fascinate me very much.

Thanks in advance for input!
I will not go negative like everyone else who has posted so far, but I will say this, the article has zero to do with urban planing and more to do with business practices such as low taxes, and facilitating infrastructure such as ports and roads.

In that case, I would say yes, in terms of attracting business, Houston can be considered a good model.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM

239 posts, read 638,899 times
I don't doubt it's a model city for those who define quality of life as being solely about making money. For those who want and need more from life, Houston can be very sorely lacking.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,603 times
see, its gibberish like these that put crosshairs on Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: