U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,015 times

Advertisements

We are debating having a storm shelter/safe room installed in our home, we would like to get more information and an estimate. If anyone have any recommendations, we would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 PM

3,789 posts, read 7,490,434 times
I am assuming this is for hurricanes. I am curious about this because this is new to me and we don't know anybody who has one. We live in Clear Lake, too. Most people we know evacuate because even with a sheltered room life is still going to be unpleasant if there are no lights or water service for weeks. Potentially no gas, grocery stores, strained emergency services, etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,050,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemy3babies View Post
We are debating having a storm shelter/safe room installed in our home, we would like to get more information and an estimate. If anyone have any recommendations, we would really appreciate it.

Thank you
If it is for hurricanes your best bet is to evacuate if necessary. If it is for tornadoes I guess it is better to be safe than sorry. Never heard of any hear in the Houston area since we have been here knocking on wood. Our safe place is our huge walk in pantry. It is already stocked with everything we would need and fits the entire fam. I saw on a blog that there are shelters you can have built in your garage. Not sure who would specialize in such a thing though around here since tornadoes are not a common issue in these parts.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,720,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
If it is for hurricanes your best bet is to evacuate if necessary. If it is for tornadoes I guess it is better to be safe than sorry. Never heard of any hear in the Houston area since we have been here knocking on wood. Our safe place is our huge walk in pantry. It is already stocked with everything we would need and fits the entire fam. I saw on a blog that there are shelters you can have built in your garage. Not sure who would specialize in such a thing though around here since tornadoes are not a common issue in these parts.
I agree.

Something else to think about is if you live in a mendatory evacuation area, it doesn't mean that you have to evacuate. It simply means that if you chose to stay behind, the medical and government will not come to your rescue when you need to, even if you just need a bottle of water. Basically, you're on your own until the mendatory evacuation is lifted.

Nevertheless, if you're thinking of an underground shelter, make sure it is flood proof. Maybe, that's one of the reason why homes in Houston do not have basement.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM

7,206 posts, read 10,511,519 times
Underground shelter is just about impossible here the water table here is not low enough & a basement will have water problems all the time

Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 AM

8,784 posts, read 18,351,594 times
these won't do you any good for hurricanes. Tornado's maybe. Home invasions - probably. However if you are doing for tornados there are contractors in Jarrell, TX near Georgetown and Roundrock who build tornado shelters - got into that line after a F5 or whatever the worst classification tornado is wiped Jarrell off the map a few years ago. Google Jarrell tornado and then Jarrell tornado shelters.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 AM

8,784 posts, read 18,351,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
Houston has had tornadoes but not on the scale of what is happening in Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee right now. They dip down, destroy a thing or two and go back up and dip down somewhere else - they haven't ridden the ground for miles. I work in a hi-rise downtown and had one dip down enough to blow out our revolving doors from the nearby pressure - it actually touched (never to the ground though) the former Enron bldg and blew out a bunch of glass on the top floors.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 AM

18,779 posts, read 8,108,853 times
I can't see a safe room working for most home invasions, the movie Panic Room notwithstanding. Of all the home invasion stories I've seen in the news, I don't think any of them provided enough time to gather up the family and get to a safe room. They usually involve kicking in the door and bursting in without warning (often with you asleep) or tricking you into answering the door and then pushing their way in.

If you have time to get to a safe room, you have time to get to a shotgun.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,578,454 times
there is no reason to buy a safe room unless you have a need to get rid of a large sum of money - if that is the case you could also volunteer to fill up the city's coffers =)

a safe room for home invasions - you are more likely to need a safe room AWAY from a family member than being locked up with them (esp. if you are a woman) sorry to be morbid

Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 12,015 times
Both Hubby and I are in the medical field, so evacuating completely is not likely during a hurricane, and because our house has tons of windows, we thought this would be a good option for us, and no we do not have large sum of money sadly ;( (lol), we just though it would be a safe place for our family.

An during Hurricane Ike, it was confirmed that our next door neighbor had tornado activity that did a lot of damaged to their house, yard and destroyed our privacy fence,we live in the Conroe area.

we found this company Tornadoandstormshelters, and doing more research on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: