U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 AM

110 posts, read 406,390 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a home here and was told by the sales agent that there's a mandatory fee of $888 annually for cable/alarm/internet from Entouch. This upsets me because I do not like them. I had their service back in 2007 when I lived in Seven Meadows and they are horrible. I switched to comcast when they became available and was much happier. But WLN this is mandatory and I find this to be ridiculous. Why can't we choose who our own provider? The sales agent told me that their contract with Entouch would be over in 2015 but that's 4 more years. Sigh. I am very upset about them forcing this fee to be paid in order to be a home owner there. Anyone else know anything about this issue?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,454,915 times
I know people that just sucked it up eventually

Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,247,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
I am in the process of buying a home here and was told by the sales agent that there's a mandatory fee of $888 annually for cable/alarm/internet from Entouch. This upsets me because I do not like them. I had their service back in 2007 when I lived in Seven Meadows and they are horrible. I switched to comcast when they became available and was much happier. But WLN this is mandatory and I find this to be ridiculous. Why can't we choose who our own provider? The sales agent told me that their contract with Entouch would be over in 2015 but that's 4 more years. Sigh. I am very upset about them forcing this fee to be paid in order to be a home owner there. Anyone else know anything about this issue?
Do a search on here, it's been talked about to death already.
I (and many others) were able to get out of the En-Touch bundle by making a request to the POA.
I currently have Comcast and DirecTV and am perfectly happy.
Again, do a search and you will see.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,314,771 times
I have that in my rental house. Fortunately it's thru U-Verse and I loved it when i was in the home.
But yea i'm not sure how easy you can get out of that. Usually Land Tejas makes an agreement with the company to pretty much guarantee them all those residents as customers.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,765,154 times
That's ridiculous. I stopped watching cable TV in the 1990s, and would never want to buy it again. How can they force someone to buy something that they potentially don't want or need?

I'd check the details and get them to show where it is "required". There's a lot of shady business going on these days where something is "mandatory", but when you dig deeper, it ends up just being someone's claim, and not a legally defined requirement. The folks probably have some backroom deal where they get kickbacks for such pressure tactics.

This might be an early warning sign that you're moving into a shady community that's out to scam their own residents.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
That's ridiculous. I stopped watching cable TV in the 1990s, and would never want to buy it again. How can they force someone to buy something that they potentially don't want or need?

I'd check the details and get them to show where it is "required". There's a lot of shady business going on these days where something is "mandatory", but when you dig deeper, it ends up just being someone's claim, and not a legally defined requirement. The folks probably have some backroom deal where they get kickbacks for such pressure tactics.

This might be an early warning sign that you're moving into a shady community that's out to scam their own residents.
While I am sure there is money being made off the bundled services, it is far from being "shady".
It is clearly stated in the paperwork you sign when purchasing a home that the bundle is mandatory. No getting out of it at first.
Like I said before, you can easily get out of it by submitting a letter to the POA.
You will probably have the bundled service for a couple of months though before you can get out of it.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM

18,924 posts, read 11,709,525 times
DH used to put together utility packages for developers of subdivisions and apartments. There is money to be made. The ones he worked for used the funds to supplement recreational amenities. In one low income complex they provided after school care and tutors, ESL, gave every apartment renter a computer, and job search help and a bunch more stuff. The amount of money was not vast, but was nothing to sneeze at. Can't imagine what it would be in a thousand house subdivision. I'd figure 10% of the phones and internet, etc. There was almost always an escape clause, a way for owners to decline the service. I would not like being trapped with shoddy or overpriced utilities.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,454,915 times
An HOA community is the best place to find suckers. I live in one but its not very strict. they just tried the mandatory cinch bug treatment on us and they almost got fired

Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 14,137 times
Does anyone have what is included in the $888 pricing. I am about to buy a home in Westheimer Lakes.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaklary View Post
Does anyone have what is included in the $888 pricing. I am about to buy a home in Westheimer Lakes.
Check out this post from an old thread I started (which is now locked).
This was from 2 years ago, but I think the services still apply.

LINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>