Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I don't live in Harris County

And if I did I would help pay for it so long as they remove the lights along with the people who went along with this or turned a blind eye to it.
Well said!! Sometimes I really love that I live in Montgomery County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,301 times
With the way this is progressing we will have speeding cameras within few years. I bet you all the red light camera lovers would love to have that. After all, cameras will save lives. Next, CCTV everywhere.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
With the way this is progressing we will have speeding cameras within few years. I bet you all the red light camera lovers would love to have that. After all, cameras will save lives. Next, CCTV everywhere.
There is a HUGE difference between red light cameras and speeding cameras. If you run a red light, you deserve whatever the penalty is. There is a significant chance someone ELSE will be injured if you run a red light.

Try driving 60MPH on the SW Fwy with light traffic. 75% of the cars will be passing you. Unless you are driving incredibly fast, speeding doesn't have a direct correlation to accidents. I'm not sure how speeding cameras even work?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,301 times
The way they work is similar to red light cameras. A government entity (or a contractor) sets up a camera that takes pictures of license plate and in some cases of an individual that is in violation of a traffic law (speeding or running red light). After that the bill is sent to an address that the car is registered to and following that the $$$$ are rolling in. This is alot easier than using a police officer. The whole Europe does it, why not here? After all, we are giving up our rights left and right, why wouldn't we want more cameras to protect us?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM

322 posts, read 710,194 times
Saw one nab someone on frontage of beltway near 290 on Tuesday. I had thought red-light cameras were not considered legal here in USA. In UK they are, and clearly signed posted (more as speed cameras).

I think they are a great idea for the douchebags who think they are so special with their stupid and dangerous driving!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,244 times
In the end the voters will loose and obey the rules pressed on them. People in France on the other hand take this matter to the street!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM

27 posts, read 34,755 times
Since when does the city listen to the voters? The city is run by Feldman, the city attorney and the mayor who won based on identity politics... We have a sham democracy in the city run by the bureaucrats.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 PM

448 posts, read 702,499 times
Whether you voted to keep the cameras or get rid of them you have all been duped by the city of Houston and the Mayor and had your vote thrown out. The city initiated the suit in federal court which is the most unfavorable venue for them. State judges are much less likely to overturn elections. Filing suit was the only way the camera company could have standing to challenge the election. Houston gave them an open door for it. Not only was it filed in federal court but in the federal court where the head counsel for the camera company's father is a presiding judge! The case was originally assigned to judge David Hittner, father or George Hittner who works for ATS the camera company. Hittner was appointed 6 months apart from Judge Hughes who throw out the election, they worked together for over 25 years. THis was all orcehstrated from the start to get the election thrown out and to get the cameras back on. Invalidating the will of the people is never good. Please contact your councilmember and the mayor and tell them to respect our vote. You can read more here Federal Judge Overturns Public Vote in Houston, Texas

Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
Whether you voted to keep the cameras or get rid of them you have all been duped by the city of Houston and the Mayor and had your vote thrown out. The city initiated the suit in federal court which is the most unfavorable venue for them. State judges are much less likely to overturn elections. Filing suit was the only way the camera company could have standing to challenge the election. Houston gave them an open door for it. Not only was it filed in federal court but in the federal court where the head counsel for the camera company's father is a presiding judge! The case was originally assigned to judge David Hittner, father or George Hittner who works for ATS the camera company. Hittner was appointed 6 months apart from Judge Hughes who throw out the election, they worked together for over 25 years. THis was all orcehstrated from the start to get the election thrown out and to get the cameras back on. Invalidating the will of the people is never good. Please contact your councilmember and the mayor and tell them to respect our vote. You can read more here Federal Judge Overturns Public Vote in Houston, Texas
Read the bold text. We humans don't like to be laughed at and we hate rejection so we have no interest in contacting the fat cat bureaucrats who DO NOT represent you or I and will ignore and laugh at us. Never have and never will. But thanks for the interesting story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston