Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,361 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was checking the price of my house on Zillow and it says $173K. But few months back I got an appraised letter from Appraisal district which calculated the price to be 140-150K.

Why so much difference? Is there anything I can do?

Also, what is driving the price of the house to go up. In the last 30 days it went up $5500. I live near 1960 and Champion Forest. Anything exciting going on in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,589 times
you want the county appraised value to be as low as possible to keep your tax payment down.

That being said, zillow is garbage so I wouldn't put any stock into either of those figures. In my experience, they trail values more than lead them so my hunch would be you have a pretty good appraised value right now. No way to say for sure without researching the actual property.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM

58 posts, read 101,447 times
Ignore Zillow.

Sign up with Redfin using a throw away email account if you want privacy. There, you can see exactly what the homes in your neighborhood recently sold for, what allowances were given, even how the property was paid for. So you can tell if the buyer was one of those broke, unqualified FHA buyers that eventually lead to a neighborhood's decline. Or if he was a cash buyer.

That site gets around the whole Texas = non disclosure state thing. Maybe a Realtor here can explain how that happens, how much Redfin is paying them to release the information.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Zillow is a joke, they once had my house @750M, the most it's been worth is 400M. I don't know how they arrive at their numbers but I know they are wrong.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,361 times
Thanks Everyone!

I have been always skeptical about Zillow and their pricing! I am not their pricing is wrong and not accurate.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
So you can tell if the buyer was one of those broke, unqualified FHA buyers that eventually lead to a neighborhood's decline. Or if he was a cash buyer.
ironically, I would say cash buyers would be more likely to be in a declining neighborhood because they are investors buying up distressed assets. With low interest rates, most people won't pay cash for a million dollar home, even if they can afford to.

As far as getting around non-disclosure, redfin contends that they have an active brokerage relationship with the "client" as soon as they register with their email, so they can give them the MLS sales data. It's been a point of contention for a while between online brokerages and local MLS's.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM

58 posts, read 101,447 times
Cash buyers have been all over Houston this year snatching nice homes away from those who intended to use financing. There are a lot of sob stories regarding that situation people have been telling all year.

As far as Redfin goes, that site really blows a hole through the embellished claims some make in here regarding in properties "in the loop." That site has no doubt made many enemies.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Zillow is extremely unreliable on the "zestimates" in Texas. They are often way off. Don't even bother.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
Cash buyers have been all over Houston this year snatching nice homes away from those who intended to use financing. There are a lot of sob stories regarding that situation people have been telling all year.

As far as Redfin goes, that site really blows a hole through the embellished claims some make in here regarding in properties "in the loop." That site has no doubt made many enemies.
In multiple offer situations, it could make sense to pay cash up front and finance later, but my point is the same. Most people realize that leveraging these low rates makes more sense than tying up so much liquidity.

Your assumption that anyone who uses FHA is somehow going to get foreclosed on is a little silly. Lenders are required to do a lot more due diligence than they were during the sub-prime fiasco.

I have no idea what you're talking about with your second point so I'll just skip that.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I've found zillow inaccurate in two cites I've moved too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: