Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
No city in North Carolina can touch Houston. NC cities on the whole, suck!
That's funny I feel just the opposite, Houston to me is one of the worst places to live, I would rather be anywhere in N.C. than Houston or Texas for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 25,915 times
Stay where you are !!!! I have lived in both and the crime, traffic weather etc. sux......and I am a Texan !
Want a nice place to live, try Sanata Barbara, Ca and the outlieing area.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM

20 posts, read 166,027 times
having lived in Santa Clara, Phoenix, Greenwich , midtown ny and just returning from a 7 day trip to houston, I can assure you the community friendliness and quality of life dollar to dollar is unmatchable in Houston. I was a bit reluctant about moving to Houston but now i cannot wait to get there.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 AM

17 posts, read 67,713 times
Houston vs. Dallas.... hmmm, let's see....

Cost of living ...... Houston.
Weather............. Tie
Schools.............. Houston.
Entertainment...... Dallas
Quality of life....... Dallas
More crime.......... Dallas
Traffic................ Tie (Loop 610 or Loop 635..your choice)
Tv/Radio............. Dallas (Houston radio stations are awful)
Police/fire........... Houston
Leisure............... Houston

Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 PM

15 posts, read 61,703 times
Default dirt-cheap home available in Dallas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

4. Which city is better where cost of living is concerned, especially home prices?

A. Houston
Apparently the median home price in Houston is lower than the median home price in Dallas, but in Dallas, a person can find more homes for sale under $30,000. Realtor.com shows that Dallas has 144 single-family homes (not mobile homes) for sale between $500 and $30,000, whereas Houston has only 49 homes in that price range. How do you explain the abundance of homes for sale under $30K in Dallas?

There's a possibility that the home prices in Dallas are expected to be bid-up for much more than the asking price. Therefore, it would be better if I could see how many homes ACTUALLY SOLD for under $30K last month in both cities.

I'm thinking about moving to Texas, buying a cheap home in cash, and then looking for a job. Any advice?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:04 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
One thing I notice when my wife and I were looking in both cites is the proprtey taxes in DFW are lower than Houston. I've notice that in the same type of community you'll pay more for HOA in Houston.

Overall I think the economy is a lot stronger and the housing market is a little more stable in Houston.

The city proper of Houston looks a lot better than the city proper of Dallas, but the suburbs is a different story(at least in my opinion)

Dallas you'll get cold winters, Houston stays pretty tropical almost year around

My first choice was Plano, Frisco or Mckinney all in the suburbs of Dallas, my wife vetoed the move because she had a better job offer in Houston(not to mention Houston was her first choice).

Overall we're very happy with our choice, If there was one thing I'd do different it would be "RENT FOR A FULL YEAR BEFORE WE BUY" learn the different Counties, Mud dist., Schools, Commute times, Taxes, ect... first.

Just my .02

Old 07-19-2008, 11:08 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Houston does have a good job market and places to shop and eat, after that I can't say anything good about it. I HATE living here and am going to move to N.C. where there are four seasons and something beautiful to look at. Houston and Dallas are too HOT and FLAT. My advise stay away from both cites.

You see, for me the winters in Charlotte are just too bitter. My wife is from the tropics, and I am from Mississippi. We just couldn't take the cold anymore. I know this is off topic, but I guess it doesn't matter since this is like the third time this exact thing has been posted. North Carolina doesn't really have anything like Texas. Sure the mountains and beaches are nice, but you are comparing apples to oranges. Charlotte is not even as big as San Antonio. People up there are not as nice as down here. But give me culture, diversity, and things to do. Outside of outdoor nature activities, NC is lacking.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
From my experience North Carolina is primarily populated by ignorant rednecks and wiggers.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 AM

293 posts, read 909,689 times
If you can't decide, how about moving halfway in between? That would be Madisonville, I believe. Great home prices.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If there was one thing I'd do different it would be "RENT FOR A FULL YEAR BEFORE WE BUY" learn the different Counties, Mud dist., Schools, Commute times, Taxes, ect... first.
Isn't that the truth? We learned that lesson the hard way the last time we bought a house, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston