Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone i'm a new member,
I have been in Houston since OCT 2010 and i have no friends.

I hope you accept me as a friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 PM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Not sure where exactly are you from, but would you try to meet some people here?:
Welcome to the Arab American Cultural & Community Center
AL-NOOR MASJID alnoor society of greater houston Inc.-------| ABOUT US |-------
Houston has more organizations like this.
I also see that you are a student.
What about getting involved in an university activities?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,215,272 times
As a moderator, I am sure elnina "sees" more than we can. There is no way I could have guessed the OP was a student, for example. I don't think she was being racist.

To the OP: make an effort to get out and meet people. You'll find they are friendly here.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
^^^ No magic here: I just checked his public profile

Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,611,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turky View Post

Why don't you list your interests and maybe some posters would strike up a conversation?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 AM

543 posts, read 1,388,338 times
Turky - It takes time. I moved here in November last year and I have made efforts to make friends.
So far, I have met a lot of people online and offline. I have quite a few connections and people that I get together to share interests with. However, I don't think that we have made any friend either. I guess the true kind of friend will take a long time to build.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,837,333 times
Meetup is a way to find people with common interests, plus if people are attending a meetup, they are probably receptive to making new friends.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,006,274 times
People in the south tend to be more outgoing than other areas of the country, which is a plus. But Houston is large and busy, with people staying inside much of the time to avoid the heat, and getting around in cars (not walking or biking). So people are more isolated that in other areas, and a person can end up being like just another nameless rat in a maze. Not trying to be overly negative though, just stating a big drawback to the area.

There is help though, as shown above. You might be able to connect online with others in the same boat, and maybe strike up some friendships.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 07-01-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM

913 posts, read 4,347,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turky View Post

Dude, sorry to hear that. It can be resolved. There are plenty of people from Middle East here. Turkey too. Clear Lake is just not a common place for them to live. Here's how I would find them:

1. maps.google.com - type something like "arabic cafe" or "turkish store" (Phoenicia is coming from the top of my mind right away). Hang out there.
2. There is a Turkish center in town.
3. use meetup.com to meet new friends
4. Facebook, Skype, ICQ.. what else.. craigslist?
5. There is 2 major Middle East communities in town.
- 1 around Hillcroft and Westpark
- 1 around Dairy Ashford and Westpark
6. another easy way to find a ME community is to type "mosque" at maps.google. You will see where they live right away.

.. A brief google search, and these orgs came out:
http://www.raindropturkishhouse.org/
http://www.turkishfesthouston.com/home/41/107-turkish-cultural-foundation.html (broken link)
http://www.turkishculturalfoundation...ages.php?ID=92
http://www.uh.edu/~tasa/
http://www.atahouston.org/

Young Turks also like to hang out here: cafeeuropehouston.com

No matter what your culture is, there is a plenty of people of each kind in Houston. If I met a guy from a tiny Iceland, you can meet anyone here. LOL

Last edited by behtypa; 07-01-2011 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM

834 posts, read 2,686,613 times
It's really hard to make friends for me. I've been in Houston since 2007 and I work from my house (remotely - all my co-workers are on the computer (IM) :-). I do have some good friends via my husband's friends here in the city. Definitely check out online groups of things that interest you. I'm a mom so I do have several friends that I've met thanks to a mom's group.

I would encourage you to find a group of people...perhaps reading, dancing, sports or something you like doing. It may be uncomfortable at first, but you need to find a way to break the ice. Everything will fall in place from there.

Good Luck!!!

This Forum is full of people from different backgrounds...so continue visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: