Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 6,227 times

Advertisements

Could any of you suggest a gym besides a 24hourfitness or a Ballys?

Id also appreciated if you posted membership prices.

Last edited by FUNPLEX; 07-01-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,984,633 times
I use to go to Lifetime when I use to live in the western suburbs. Maybe try LA Fitness? Their gyms are all pretty consistent and have up-to-date equipment. No old clanky machines like you see at some 24 Hour Fitness locations. I belong to 24 Hour now (nice location), but you already said you don't like them.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,846,189 times
Lifetime Fitness is the best IF you have a family and children. I've heard people who aren't parents sometimes don't like how many children tend to be there, even though children aren't allowed in many areas of the facility. Family memberships depend on family size but it is approximately $130 for a family of four, I'm guessing. I don't know the exact number but this is close to right.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,984,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Lifetime Fitness is the best IF you have a family and children. I've heard people who aren't parents sometimes don't like how many children tend to be there, even though children aren't allowed in many areas of the facility. Family memberships depend on family size but it is approximately $130 for a family of four, I'm guessing. I don't know the exact number but this is close to right.
Yeah, people bring their children (usually pre-teens) to Lifetime a lot, and they just sit on the machines and don't use them. A big gym pet-peeve of mine. Another is the random guy who I saw watch someone workout at the leg press (stood right next to him) and waited for him to get up. That's pretty creepy, tbh. Go find another machine to work out on and let the guy do his thing.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 AM

587 posts, read 1,136,792 times
I also rejoined 24 hour fitness, the new location in Richmond, which is very nice with up to date fitness and cardio equipment, family locker rooms and the outdoor pool. I guess it rivals Lifetime fitness up the grand parkway in cinco ranch, but Im paying $85 a month there(with day care included) instead of the $135 that it would have cost me at lifetime fitness..

I hate I cancelled my previous 24 hour membership, which I had from the days when it was world gym...I was paying $41.50 a month for me and my wife, but when I moved to geritolville, aka Florida, 24 hr fitness was 40 plus miles away, so we went to LA fitness......LA fitness was a good gym, we just didnt like their daycare hours

other gyms in Houston are Fitness Connection, which claims memberships are "ONLY" $10.00 a month (until you read the fine print),

the YMCA, which has 23 locations around the Houston area

Powerhouse gym has about five locations in Houston, including one in Missouri City

Golds Gym has three Houston area locations

Fit athlethic club on West Grey is what I would call a "Gen X/Gen Y" type club, located close to downtown, and it is quite pricey

hope that helps

Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 AM

834 posts, read 2,688,666 times
A nice, more hip gym is FIT athletic club on West Gray. That's around $60-something a month. No daycare available. They do have 1 studio room for group classes and a spinning room. everything else is cardio machines and weights (machines and freeweights). The lockers are electronic (no need for you to bring your own lock - you set up your own passcode like you do at hotel safe).

I am a member of 24Hr because is the one closest to my house. I paid a 3 year membership at about $500 - comes to around $14/month. This membership allows me to go to any 24Hr gym except the SuperSport in Downtown.

There are a few others that are smaller gyms - Sound Fitness (20/month) or Crossfit boxes around town.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM

24,057 posts, read 15,174,810 times
Stay away from Fitness 19. They put bandit signs all over the place. They have been ask to please stop, but continue to do it. The County Attorney's office has charged them. The fine will be substantial but I'm still taking up their signs.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,467,868 times
Before I moved away from Houston I had joined Lifetime at the CityCentre.
CityCentre Life Time Athletic Club

I have worked out all of my life and first started out at Balleys behind Sharpstown mall when Sharpstown mall was the thing! A long time ago...back in the early 80's

Then I joined World gym....or was it Golds Gym....it was a long time ago on Westheimer @ Hayes and then it became 24 hour fitness. I worked out there for 12 or 15 years and then joined Lifetime. Lifetime was one of the best gyms in Houston IMO. If I lived in Houston I would go back to that gym! Unless it has become a dump but I doubt that...I was a very nice gym!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,227 times
Thanks everyone. I eliminated Bally and 24 due to all the bad reviews they were receiving.
I think I know where I want to go temporarily.
considered:
It's only me (no children)
month to month

Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM

632 posts, read 1,182,377 times
Lifetime Fitness is all the rage but pricey IMO. As for LA Fitness, the one closets to me on Grad Parkway in the HEB shopping center is not even worth going to and there have been several robberies and beatings in the parking lot.

I would stick to 24 Hour Fitness or maybe even consider a self-defense center if all you want is to get in shape. If you want to lift just buy some dumbbells, a bench bar, and maybe a pull-up bar and have your own home gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston