Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 PM

448 posts, read 703,182 times

Advertisements

There are informed opinions, and then there are yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I know as much as you do ... in fact everyone knows as much as you do ... this is an opinion forum ... everyone's got one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 PM

8,897 posts, read 20,023,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
There are informed opinions, and then there are yours.
and since we have now resorted to the comments of a 5-year-old .... and then there is yours back at you ..........

Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 PM

You were the one that thought there weren't camera vans in the US right? Like I said, informed opinions then yours. Doesn't look like you know as much as you claim.

Quote:
and then there is yours ..........

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
You were the one that thought there weren't camera vans in the US right? Like I said, informed opinions then yours. Doesn't look like you know as much as you claim.
That's right, I commented that I had not "seen" any in the United States ... that didn't say that there weren't any. I believe my exact words were "I hadn't seen that anywhere else before and still haven't seen that anywhere in the U.S." When you post on this forum, it is a great place to have people comment on what they know of and what they don't (such as where that sort of technology is being used). However; the topic of red light cameras is an opinion topic as people express what they think about the issue, that is unless they are five and try to resort to "I know you are but what am I" type comments.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM

I would argue that a 5 year old's view would be that all opinions have equal weight and come from people with equal knowledge on the subject.
Of course you could get the discussion back on track by explaining how cameras cut into lawyers pockets by providing overwhelming proof when the actual results we can point to would suggest that camera tickets don't fare too well when faced with a legal challenge.

Quote:
That's right, I commented that I had not "seen" any in the United States ... that didn't say that there weren't any. When you post on this forum, it is a great place to have people comment on what they know of and what they don't (such as where that sort of technology is being used). However; the topic of red light cameras is an opinion topic as people express what they do and do not know, that is unless they are five and try to resort to "I know you are but what am I" type comments.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Done with this petty stuff. ... this thread needs to get back on topic which is the red light cameras and thoughts on the vote

Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Sure thing, since the cameras in Houston are in limbo until the appeals process completes or the City decides what they want to do with them let's take a look at what is happening around the country. As far as I know these efforts weren't started by ticket lawyers.

One of the nation's longest running camera programs in Los Angeles appears to be ending after the police commission voted unanimously to end the program

Local TV station investigated the effectiveness of the cameras;
Is it money or safety? We wanted to know actual numbers of accidents at red light camera intersections to see if they really went down.
When we asked, the LAPD became very defensive. The sergeant in charge told me in an e-mail, “The city would hope that it is the goal of KCBS/KCAL to discuss the positive aspects of the photo red light program.”
So we filed a public records request. The department charged us more than $500 for a computer run. When we got the numbers back, they told a different story.
We looked at every accident at every red light camera intersection for six months of data before the cameras were installed and six months after.
The final figures? Twenty of the 32 intersections show accidents up after the cameras were installed! Three remained the same and only nine intersections showed accidents decreasing.
Los Angeles Red Light Cameras Lead To Increased Accidents

Looks like the commission came to the same conclusion;

"The Los Angeles Police Commission has voted to kill the city's controversial red-light camera program, rejecting claims that the system makes streets safer while costing the city nothing."
Los Angeles Traffic Cameras | Red-light cameras: Los Angeles may give the red light to traffic cameras - Los Angeles Times

"Last year, Anaheim, California's city council became the first to offer voters an opportunity to ban red light cameras without the need for filing petitions. The ban was adopted with 73 percent of the vote. In Bellingham, Washington on Monday, residents turned in 7000 signatures on a petition to ban the cameras, even though only 3880 were needed."

"In Monroe, organizers collected 2100 signatures -- equal to two out of every three registered voters in the city."

Last year, 71 percent of voters banned cameras in Mukilteo. Cameras were also banned in Houston, Texas; Baytown, Texas; Anaheim, California; and Garfield Heights, Ohio. Photo enforcement has never survived when the question is put directly to voters. Last year, 61 percent of Sykesville, Maryland voters overturned a speed camera ordinance. In 2009, eighty-six percent of Sulphur, Louisiana rejected speed cameras, 72 percent said no in Chillicothe, Ohio; Heath, Ohio and College Station, Texas also rejected cameras. In 2008, residents in Cincinnati, Ohio rejected red light cameras. Seventy-six percent of Steubenville, Ohio voters rejected photo radar in 2006. In the mid-1990s, speed cameras lost by a two-to-one margin in Peoria, Arizona and Batavia, Illinois. In 1997, voters in Anchorage, Alaska banned cameras even after the local authorities had removed them.

Monroe, Washington Anti-Camera Referendum Advances

Quote:
Done with this petty stuff. ... this thread needs to get back on topic which is the red light cameras and thoughts on the vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston