Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
I could care less about the looks, but when it comes to a possible life or death choice, Ill take the gun that looks like a professional machined and assembled it. Im well aware the p3at's can be 100% reliable, but its not a large price difference anyways.

To another above poster, after shipping, and ffl transfer fees, you'll come out better buying from one of the main three sellers at gunshows vs. online for most popular(what i call "commodity")guns.

Bachmann, AJC, and one other, I dont remember. they will have the three biggest selections. Ive bought from all of them.
I have shoot the brand new P3-AT today for the first time and here is the feedback:
- just like they warned it double-feeds quite often (every 3-5 rounds) the first 100 or so rounds. It is a breaking-in period. The feeding became better after 100-120 rounds though. Practically no FTFs and double feeds.
- the plastic body is a little rough. I got myself a hand callus in a "beaver tail" (soft skin between the thumb and index fingers) area. I will have to sand it a little to make it smooth.
- The body is small. I have added an small extension and now all 3 fingers can rest on handle.
- DeSantis Superfly holster is awesome! This is the only thing I like about all this so far. :-)
- After shooting with this mouse gun (really hard trigger and a little of finger travel space) the Glock trigger feels like butter. :-)
Bottom line: So far I can't say I enjoyed shooting with P3-AT. Will see if other mouse guns are like that.

You can be right about Ruger, etc. Visually, the LCP body looks a little more polished. I can't really say about everything else yet. I need to try.

Last edited by behtypa; 07-27-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM

497 posts, read 1,485,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
Do your online research. There are plenty of feedback on mouse guns at gun forums.

Based on my findings, KelTec P3-AT (.380) or smaller P32 (.320) are a better choice as far as realiability, etc. I have checked about 3-5 gun forums (about 20 opinions). Ruger went second.

Youtube has a few KelTec reviewes too. They are positive.
I have seen so many KelTecs fail to feed, fire, eject, or just plain break, that I have no confidence in them. Some seem to work very well and some do not after three trips to the factory. I would look a little deeper into the online reviews.

I also carry the LCP during the summer. I keep hoping that Glock will come out with something really small.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM

913 posts, read 4,344,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
I keep hoping that Glock will come out with something really small.
I would be the first in line. LOL

I agree on Kel-tec, it is not as reliable as Glock. I will use it for a while and if not happy will trade it to LCP or something else. It's only $260 new so there is not much loss.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM

270 posts, read 478,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
That's why I went the revolver route. Mom's 9mm semi is a nice enough piece of metal, but it seems like too much work if it really comes to the point that I have to whip my Taurus 80 out at someone. Heck, this was initially my sister's piece, but she thought it was too much for her. It sure feels right to me, though. Profit.

P.S. Don't put the gun in your glovebox. A cop won't be happy when you're reaching for your papers and...or so I hear.

P.S.S. You can look up the Castle doctrine and Motorist Protection Act ot get the low down...

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM

270 posts, read 478,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
I would be the first in line. LOL

I agree on Kel-tec, it is not as reliable as Glock. I will use it for a while and if not happy will trade it to LCP or something else. It's only $260 new so there is not much loss.
What about the Gen4 Glock 23 .40 ?

I bought that and it's pretty small. 13 rd shot and has some good kick in it.

I certainly feel safe with it.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
What about the Gen4 Glock 23 .40 ?

I bought that and it's pretty small. 13 rd shot and has some good kick in it.

I certainly feel safe with it.
I'm sure it's a fantastic pistol, but I can't imagine carrying one. It's too big and heavy compared to these pocket .380s. Even a Glock 27 weighs more than double what a Ruger LCP weighs. If I put a loaded Glock 23 in my pocket, I'd have to wear a belt to keep my pants from falling down.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 AM

193 posts, read 436,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I'm sure it's a fantastic pistol, but I can't imagine carrying one. It's too big and heavy compared to these pocket .380s. Even a Glock 27 weighs more than double what a Ruger LCP weighs. If I put a loaded Glock 23 in my pocket, I'd have to wear a belt to keep my pants from falling down.
Compact Glocks are too large to pocket carry (unless we're talking about huge cargo pockets). They ride best in a belt holster.

As far as shops go, I have heard great things about Tomball Pawn but haven't been there myself. I do not care for the staff at Carter's Country and won't be doing any more business with them. The folks down at the Arms Room in League City have been great and some of their guns are expensive but their Glocks weren't too bad. The level of service they provide is hard to beat IMO and is worth a bit of a premium. Another nice thing about the place is that they offer unlimited pistol rentals for $25. This gives you the chance to try out many different types to see what fits your hand the best.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
Yep. Just as rb4browns said. It must be out of sight andf concealed once in your car. You can't have it on your person when your car. Like in your pocket or waistband.
There is no prohibition in the Motorist Protection Act from having the gun on your person in the car.

Quote:
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
What do you think is the better pocket pistol, the Ruger LCP .380 or S&W Bodyguard 380? I like that the S&W has the laser sight built-in, but it seems to have harder edges that might make it a bit more uncomfortable.
If you have to go .380, you can't really go wrong with either for pocket carry. A S&W J-frame snub nosed revolver or a Ruger LCR carries well in pocket also.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
If you have to go .380, you can't really go wrong with either for pocket carry. A S&W J-frame snub nosed revolver or a Ruger LCR carries well in pocket also.

Ehh, maybe for everybody else, but they are too thick for me. A revolver can easily be thicker than medium framed guns. Just prints differently. My LCP prints pretty badly, but no one really pays attention to that kind of thing.

I tried and tried, but I just cant make it work. And Im 6'6" 230 lbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston