Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,345 times

Advertisements

I just go on Gun Broker and get it shipped via an FFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 04:12 PM

38 posts, read 110,409 times
can you carry a loaded gun in your car w/o the CHL?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,673,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRamon View Post
can you carry a loaded gun in your car w/o the CHL?
Yes. You are also allowed to carry a loaded weapon concealed directly to and from a vehicle.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,543 times
Cmon, guys, this is a person who clearly isnt an expert, so recommending buying online and using an FFL probably isnt the best idea. First time buyers are nervous, and will get frustrated/embarassed by the web/ffl process. Academy is a much better alternative to Collectors. I second the motion to shop Bud's Gun Shop online, and use that as a pricing baseline. Academy, and Gander Mtn wont negotiate, but you'll know whether or not you are getting hammered.

Glock/Springfield XD/Ruger SR9/ other striker fired guns are easiest for novices to shoot well, but some lack manual safeties, which can intimidate novices.

Beretta92/CZ75/S&W 3rd gen/ hammer fired guns are harder to shoot well at first due to the trigger having to manually **** the hammer before first shots if the slide wasnt racked(another difficulty for novices).

I recommend looking at a Springfield XD9 4" with a manual safety. 9mm is a cheap round, this gun is easy to hold/shoot, and it has multiple safeties that make novices feel better. Tomball Pawn is probably the cheapest place to buy one. It's a pawn shop, but they are a major new gun seller in the area, and are top quality people. It may seem to be an intimidating enviornment, so Academy may be your best bet.

Good Luck!

***edit***

My apologies, it appears they only make the 45acp with a manual safety. That is the one I have. I thought they were making the 9mm as well. dont be afraid of shooting a .45. Its not bad at all.

fyi.

Last edited by mtgmike; 07-05-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM

201 posts, read 914,453 times
Another vote for Academy. Their selection isn't huge, but they carry the more popular handguns and their prices are very good. Make your own decision on what gun(s) to buy, but I recommend taking a close look at the Glocks and XDMs.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 11,106 times
Thanks! I will check out Academy, too. I wasn't gonna spend too much money. I hope those places aren't expensive. I'm new to this.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 PM

You should be able to get a quality handgun for <$500.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,342 times
45cal is pretty rough. Rent a gun and pretend youre hiding shooting blind behind a corner/desk with your left hand (well you get the idea)

Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 AM

IMO, it all depends on the gun. I can promise you my .380 pocket gun hurts worse than my full size .45. 9mm/.40 tends to be loaded to higher pressures and gives a sharp snap to the hand, while .45 being a relatively low pressure round, tends to push your hand. It may give a louder boom, rather than sound like a crack of a whip, but its easier for me to handle.

Renting is an excellent idea. It can get costly, but its cheaper than buying a gun you dont like, selling it at a loss, and buying again.

Don't act out defensive scenarios at a public gun range, please.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM

270 posts, read 478,136 times
Gander Mountain out in Spring. On the I-45 feeder road right before to get to Spring High School and Cypresswood.

I found out about that place right before Christmas from a coworker. He was telling me you could put as gun on layaway there. Hahahaha. Man, I about died laughing. I had know idead you could do such a thing.

Well that very day I stopped there on my way home and sure enough....for $100 and clean record you could put puty a gun on layaway.

Put my hundred bucks down. And after about a week..I said screw it. Went back and paid for the gun. Brand new Glock23 .40 for $499 plus tax. I got lucky and caught it on sale since it weas about two weeks before christmas.

Put 50 rounds through it so far, and it has some GOOD kick. So any knucklehead who may want to take a chance better have a vest or really good luck,lol As someone said on here earlier, the glock has no safety. This is my first gun in LIFE. ( Other than the BB gun I got about 20 years ago ) So I'm a novice,lol But if I need it, I don't have to worry about fooling with a safety. As I always say.... I have no plans of being on a Episode of First48 Harris County

But Gander Mountain is good. I THINK they have a location in Katy. Good store and you can find alot of stuff there from what I saw at the Spring location.

Got a box of 50 FMJ hydrashock 180g for $39.99. I thought it was a good deal,compared to prices I had seen when I first got the gun.

Last edited by BCEagles01; 07-06-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston