Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Equally do the same , cameras are operated by NON POLICE personal , there for it states that they are not authorized to enforce the laws . Additionally it is not just California BS Its your constitutional right in any state . Additionally I am from South Dakota, FUl time RVing.

Like I said...Good luck trying your brilliant idea in a Texas courthouse! Texas is not flaky like CA when it comes to enforcing the law. And personally I don't care where you are from!

Your thinking is just plain stupid! So what if it is not a police officer operating the camera...you will still get fined for running a red light. The company works in conjunction with the Houston police department.

You get fined for running through toll booths without paying or having an EZ tag. The camera that captures this is not operated by a police officer...guess what you still get fined.

Crimes that are caught on cameras that are not being operated by a police officer hold up in court. Recall Oscar Grant being shot in Oakland and all those videos that captured it. You think none of those where allowed to be used as evidence just because they were filmed from non police personnel? Did the officer that shot him scream oh you can't use those videos because it is unconstitutional and was not taken by a police officer! Seriously get a clue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm sick of watching you post this blithering crap over City-Data. Please stop, because you know nothing about the law or the legal process. I can't fathom how stupid one must be to believe the entire legal process will suddenly grind to a halt by simply demanding a "verified complaint."
No kidding...more evidence of the "dumbing" down of America! It is amazing that people are that stupid!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM

448 posts, read 702,535 times
You keep confusing criminal citations and accusations like Grant and CIVIL violations like a camera ticket. There is no court to go to for a camera ticket, there is an administrative hearing, no trial, no criminal charges. That is how they get around all of the rules of evidence. So it isn't the same thing, not even close. And BTW there have been literally thousands of those "irrefutable" camera tickets overturned over the years.

But it is correct, you don't have to worry about asking them for any documentation, just don't pay it and nothing will happen. Why do all that when doing nothing is so much easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Like I said...Good luck trying your brilliant idea in a Texas courthouse! Texas is not flaky like CA when it comes to enforcing the law. And personally I don't care where you are from!

Your thinking is just plain stupid! So what if it is not a police officer operating the camera...you will still get fined for running a red light. The company works in conjunction with the Houston police department.

You get fined for running through toll booths without paying or having an EZ tag. The camera that captures this is not operated by a police officer...guess what you still get fined.

Crimes that are caught on cameras that are not being operated by a police officer hold up in court. Recall Oscar Grant being shot in Oakland and all those videos that captured it. You think none of those where allowed to be used as evidence just because they were filmed from non police personnel? Did the officer that shot him scream oh you can't use those videos because it is unconstitutional and was not taken by a police officer! Seriously get a clue!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
Please don't post things you don't know about. Texas transportation code 707 specifically says failure to pay can't go on your license or credit and no arrest warrant can be issued. It is a CIVIL offense not criminal. Although blocking registration is allowed Harris county is not doing it because they aren't getting a cut.
My mistake, I could have sworn I heard the mayor on TV a few nights ago saying that the city would no longer allow people to get away with not paying their tickets since there are over 270,000 unpaid red light camera tickets.

I don't see the point in having the damn things if there is no penalty to not pay for them ?

With over 270,000 unpaid tickets, that's 18.9 million dollars the city isn't collecting.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/BREAK...125086804.html

Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Could not agree more. Why weren't Houstonians made aware of the details of any of this when the ordinance was enforced
It is how politics goes in this country...how are we going to change it

I am actually for the camera's. I was broadsided in downtown Houston by a lady who ran a stale red light just because she was running late for work! I was so lucky that I was in excellent physical condition when it happened or I would have been severely damaged. I was damaged for sure...when the jaws of life have to cut you out of your car I can attest that you have suffered physical damaged in the wreck that they are saving you from. I also thank my guardian angels or my good karma that it was not worse. The woman hit my Honda on the driver's side so hard that she totaled both her car and mine. My suspension was snapped right in two. I'll post the photos if I can find them.
I feel for you - have a friend who was hit bit a red light runner - broken pelvis in two places - he's never been the same.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Everyone here seems to be a sofa attorney with television knowledge of the law ... lol .. and telling several telling each other "to stop posting stuff you don't know anything about" when the vast majority of posts here are opinions and everyone has an opinion that they believe to be right. Take it with a grain of salt. If you get a traffic cam ticket and you want to dispute it, you might ask a real attorney what happens.
Houston turns red-light cameras back on | khou.com Houston

Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Of course she is going to act tough to try to scare people into paying. Doesn't make it so, still no teeth in it. That's what makes me laugh about all of these people that say they are so against red light runners but are for cameras. They are actually for the red light runners being hit with a lower penalty! I hate pot heads, I sure as hell ain't gonna support decriminalizing smoking dope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
My mistake, I could have sworn I heard the mayor on TV a few nights ago saying that the city would no longer allow people to get away with not paying their tickets since there are over 270,000 unpaid red light camera tickets.

I don't see the point in having the damn things if there is no penalty to not pay for them ?

With over 270,000 unpaid tickets, that's 18.9 million dollars the city isn't collecting.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
You keep confusing criminal citations and accusations like Grant and CIVIL violations like a camera ticket. There is no court to go to for a camera ticket, there is an administrative hearing, no trial, no criminal charges. That is how they get around all of the rules of evidence. So it isn't the same thing, not even close. And BTW there have been literally thousands of those "irrefutable" camera tickets overturned over the years.

But it is correct, you don't have to worry about asking them for any documentation, just don't pay it and nothing will happen. Why do all that when doing nothing is so much easier?
Nope I am not confusing anything...I think you missed my point. My point was not about criminal vs. civil charges. My point was it does not have to be a police operated video camera to find someone guilty of breaking the law. I did not claim anywhere that there was a criminal charge. But you are charged with a civil penalty that you must pay.

Here you go right off of the FAQS from the link that I posted on this thread for not paying the fine: http://www.houstontx.gov/police/traf...safety_faq.htm

What happens if I ignore the Notice of Violation?

Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability prior to the 45th day after receipt of the notice is an admission of liability, and failure to appear at an administrative adjudication hearing after having requested a hearing is an admission of liability and constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. Failure to pay the civil penalty within 45 days after receipt of this Notice of Violation shall result in the imposition of a late-payment fee of $25. If the second notice remains unpaid, collections proceedings and entry of judgment against you may proceed.

Sure just go right ahead and ignore your fine You say nothing will happen...I would not be so sure about that. How do know? Are you are one of those people who ran a red light then received a citation and not pay it?

BTW so what if there has been irrefutable camera tickets overturned...there are also many that are not. If Houston has collected 50.5 million dollars in fines thus far it is a pretty good indication that a lot are not overturned.

I can't imagine why anyone would jump up and down to protect the person who runs red lights unless they are one of these people themselves. Just wait until you or someone you love is maimed or killed by a person who runs a red light...lets see how much you snarl about the red light cameras.

I am very glad they are turned back on!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
My point was not about criminal vs. civil charges. My point was it does not have to be a police operated video camera to find someone guilty of breaking the law. I did not claim anywhere that there was a criminal charge. But you are charged with a civil penalty that you must pay.

Here you go right off of the FAQS from the link that I posted on this thread for not paying the fine:

What happens if I ignore the Notice of Violation?

Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability prior to the 45th day after receipt of the notice is an admission of liability, and failure to appear at an administrative adjudication hearing after having requested a hearing is an admission of liability and constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. Failure to pay the civil penalty within 45 days after receipt of this Notice of Violation shall result in the imposition of a late-payment fee of $25. If the second notice remains unpaid, collections proceedings and entry of judgment against you may proceed.

Sure just go right ahead and ignore your fine You say nothing will happen...I would not be so sure about that. How do know? Are you are one of those people who ran a red light then received a citation and not pay it?

BTW so what if there has been irrefutable camera tickets overturned...there are also many that are not. If Houston has collected 50.5 million dollars in fines thus far it is a pretty good indication that a lot are not overturned.

I can't imagine why anyone would jump up and down to protect the person who runs red lights unless they are one of these people themselves. Just wait until you or someone you love is maimed or killed by a person who runs a red light...lets see how much you snarl about the red light cameras.

I am very glad they are turned back on!
I've read that there are unpaid tickets from like 2004 and 2005.. It wouldn't appear that those people cared or have paid them..

Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM

I can tell you I have an attorney in the family, and I have discussed this issue with city attorneys and other attorneys and, guess what? A long discussion with an ATS attorney involved in the suit, all agree, nothing happens if you don't pay. If someone wants to pay another attorney to find out for sure go ahead they will tell you the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Everyone here seems to be a sofa attorney with television knowledge of the law ... lol .. and telling several telling each other "to stop posting stuff you don't know anything about" when the vast majority of posts here are opinions and everyone has an opinion that they believe to be right. Take it with a grain of salt. If you get a traffic cam ticket and you want to dispute it, you might ask a real attorney what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston