Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times

Advertisements

So, anyone driving around this part of town knows TXDOT is well on it's way to connect the freeways with the elevated ramps and provide relief for all those drivers. When the project was started, it was mentioned that only two would be built, and the others "later". I thought it meant years later, but it turns out, they will begin this summer for the other two connectors, and also for the main lanes going over I10. Should be nice once it is all completed.

I-10, Grand Parkway ramps eagerly anticipated | Ultimate Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,334 times
This is a good thing. If they're going to build the road (which I'm on the fence about honestly), then they should do it right. Ramps make a world of difference. They've been building the I-35/SH-71 ramps here in Austin since I've been here (2 years). Pitiful.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM

171 posts, read 414,164 times
That's good to hear because I was worried that they would just forget about the rest of the interchange once they finish this little "half-step". It'll be great to see the whole thing finished in its entirety.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
So, anyone driving around this part of town knows TXDOT is well on it's way to connect the freeways with the elevated ramps and provide relief for all those drivers. When the project was started, it was mentioned that only two would be built, and the others "later". I thought it meant years later, but it turns out, they will begin this summer for the other two connectors, and also for the main lanes going over I10. Should be nice once it is all completed.

Finally! I feel sorry for the people stuck in traffic trying to go south on the GP in the evenings. And southbound traffic trying to go into Houston in the morning as well. If people who lived in Cinco Ranch were smart, they'd turn and use the roads around the proposed mall and JC Penney (Merchantile) and go into Cinco that way. I believe the segment of the GP north of Franz is suppose to being construction either late this year, or early next year as well. I remember as a kid growing up in this area, when the GP use to go over I-10 (like it will again soon), there were actually more trees along the GP on the north side, and the south side GP didn't have much until you got to Cinco, where it still didn't have much. Area is starting to fill in. They need to start fixing up I-10 and the GP that's already a freeway now though. Way too many tall grass and stuff. Looks tacky.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
No wonder why Houston is sometimes referred to as the Freeway Capitol.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Thanks for the update. These will be some welcome ramps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
No wonder why Houston is sometimes referred to as the Freeway Capitol.
And dang proud of it!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM

I wonder how big this interchange will be compared to the one at the Sam Houston Tollway. One thing that makes me wonder though is how much dirt they have had to regrade and how they had to change all the lane setups for people getting on 99 to go south or going northbound towards I-10. It seems like it would've been easier if they would've made it more of a plug and play type of thing from when they built the Katy Freeway. It's like they forgot where the ramps really were supposed to go and had to go back and move everything. Seems kinda wasteful.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBoyd91 View Post
I wonder how big this interchange will be compared to the one at the Sam Houston Tollway. One thing that makes me wonder though is how much dirt they have had to regrade and how they had to change all the lane setups for people getting on 99 to go south or going northbound towards I-10. It seems like it would've been easier if they would've made it more of a plug and play type of thing from when they built the Katy Freeway. It's like they forgot where the ramps really were supposed to go and had to go back and move everything. Seems kinda wasteful.
I don't think it'll be as tall and expansive as the one at the tollway. Agree on the wasteful thing. On I-10, they did it perfectly. There were stubs for where the ramps would go to connect to I-10. I believe they made 99 wide enough south of I-10 until Highland Knolls for three lanes in each way tho.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Instead of creating a new thread, I wanted to ask will the Sam Houston Tollway be renamed an "Interstate" name, such as I-245, I-269, and the like? I asked this because the whole beltway is now upgraded to freeway standards.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Instead of creating a new thread, I wanted to ask will the Sam Houston Tollway be renamed an "Interstate" name, such as I-245, I-269, and the like? I asked this because the whole beltway is now upgraded to freeway standards.
That's not how it works. There are no plans for that and it's not really necessary-- Harris County Toll Road Authority is rolling in dough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: