Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times

Advertisements

Octobers here are generally low on the humidity scale and can get pretty chilly at night so I'm not sure why some people are saying otherwise. It definitely is not "hot and humid" in October. Warm during the day? Yes but nowhere near the temps of August. Don't you guys remember that cool front that came in right behind Ike? That was in the middle of September that year. Last year it stayed kind of sticky up until after Halloween but we had La Nina influencing our weather which caused a late Fall. That's an anomaly that is not always present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
Austin has been a nice middle ground. Better skin, no nosebleeds, and my eyes have been fine. We can get some pretty high humidity here too... but nothing like Houston. I think the humidity in the summer here ranges from 40%-60%. Houston can easily have 80%+ humidity even during the hottest temps. "Sauna" indeed.
Actually, the overall average difference in humidity between Houston and Austin is only about 10%.

Also, it's typically higher in the mornings.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM

136 posts, read 328,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Actually, the overall average difference in humidity between Houston and Austin is only about 10%.

Also, it's typically higher in the mornings.
I guess not the parts of Austin or Houston that I've lived in! There's a big difference in how 40% or 70% humidity feels when it's 90+ outside. In the heat of the day, the humidity feels much worse in Houston than Austin.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
I agree with ahzzie that the humidity isn't an issue all year, especially since 1/2 of the year has pleasant temps (Nov. through April). But the long hot stretch (May through October) is very significant, and can be very difficult and pleasant for many, especially when you throw in the humidity. I for one am looking forward to getting away from the humidity.

Back to the salt air question, it's mostly relevant to those who live directly on the coast, especially if they drive on the beach. The salt water and salt air can have a corrosive effect on vehicles over an extended period of time.

You do realize you said 1/2 the year isn't unpleasant? That's not 6 months, lol.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
I guess not the parts of Austin or Houston that I've lived in! There's a big difference in how 40% or 70% humidity feels when it's 90+ outside. In the heat of the day, the humidity feels much worse in Houston than Austin.

I think Austin is just as bad as Houston on the terms of heat and muggy'ness. They both suck.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM

57 posts, read 143,910 times
I grew up in Houston, then lived in Bakersfield, CA for 20+ years. Both places are really hot in the summer but I would pick living in 105 degrees w/16% humidity versus 90 degrees and 90% humidity ANY day.

The humidity just sucks the life right out of you.

I remember in Houston, our AC had to be set at at least 74 degrees (if not lower) to keep you cool and keep the wetness out of the air. Most stores are overcooled to about 68 degrees.

Where I live now, it might be 105 deg outside but my AC can run on 80 deg and I'm comfortable.

In Houston, you can't escape the heat by being in the shade. In a drier climate you can.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
You do realize you said 1/2 the year isn't unpleasant? That's not 6 months, lol.
1. Nov
2. Dec
3. Jan
4. Feb
5. Mar
6. Apr

Seems like 6 months to me.

Anyway - the humidity here is worse than other parts of the state. Having lived in the DFW area, San Antonio, Austin, and now Houston I feel I can say that with great certainty.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 PM

lol, I missed March. FAIL on my part, I is stoopid.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Anyway - the humidity here is worse than other parts of the state. Having lived in the DFW area, San Antonio, Austin, and now Houston I feel I can say that with great certainty.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective relative to the observer. I've lived in Houston for going on 20 years and I've spent a good deal of time visiting Austin and San Antonio but I've never really been able to tell that much of a difference, certainly not on the magnitude that you are making it sound. But like I say, some people have lower tolerances I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

I do laugh though when I hear people say Dallas is in a "dry" climate like it's in the desert or something. Dallas has the same humidity levels as Shreveport and I can tell you from experience that Shreveport can get downright miserable in the summer because of humidity. If someone can't stand humidity then I would suggest the areas West of San Angelo. Anyway this subject is a dead horse so to speak. Not worth arguing over.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Octobers here are generally low on the humidity scale and can get pretty chilly at night so I'm not sure why some people are saying otherwise. It definitely is not "hot and humid" in October. Warm during the day? Yes but nowhere near the temps of August. Don't you guys remember that cool front that came in right behind Ike? That was in the middle of September that year. Last year it stayed kind of sticky up until after Halloween but we had La Nina influencing our weather which caused a late Fall. That's an anomaly that is not always present.
I remember the cool front after that Ike, it was great and very unusual for September. I disagree about October, most Octobers have highs still in the 90's, although it may be a little cooler at night, it's still humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston