Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 PM

21 posts, read 98,076 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

So I recently moved my new house in Houston and wanting to install a whole house water softening system. Here's the price the dealer quoted me,

GE Pro-Elite (w/ remote data display and control) $2,000 installed
Pentair HF-7000 (high flow, 35gpm) $1650 installed

Has anyone had experience with either those systems? I only know GE is a huge company and with a good reputation for quality products.

Also, do ya'll think the price is reasonable? I would really appreciate your thought and inputs.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Can't say but there are a few posters that show up when water treatment threads start. Use the search function and you may find them before they find you.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
I would ask multiple dealers and see if they are all in the same price range and what benefits one has over the other.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
The prices you've listed by are actually resonable. But those are low end softeners. Is a matter of personal preference granted you've done your home work.

I decided to go with Kinetico softener and it was 4K with install and everything.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveguys View Post
Hi guys!

So I recently moved my new house in Houston and wanting to install a whole house water softening system. Here's the price the dealer quoted me,

GE Pro-Elite (w/ remote data display and control) $2,000 installed
Pentair HF-7000 (high flow, 35gpm) $1650 installed

Has anyone had experience with either those systems? I only know GE is a huge company and with a good reputation for quality products.

Also, do ya'll think the price is reasonable? I would really appreciate your thought and inputs.

Thanks,

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Ouch, $4K? What does that do for you over the $2K systems? I'll be in the market for one soon as well. Tired of all the white buildup crud all over the counters and fixtures. Most companies install a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink also, included in the price correct?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Yes I got the reverse osmosis with that install as well. Kinetico doesn't have any electronic parts that will corode and require replacement. Is all mechanical. And they have a 10 years warranty which no other system does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Ouch, $4K? What does that do for you over the $2K systems? I'll be in the market for one soon as well. Tired of all the white buildup crud all over the counters and fixtures. Most companies install a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink also, included in the price correct?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
So there's no computer on the Kinetico? How do you know when you need to add more salt or do whatever maintenance is required?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM

295 posts, read 1,168,932 times
am also looking around. am also curious if water softener lower water pressure if you have a bath or shower in the second floor.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM

All you need to do is keep the salt tank full. I choose a bigger salt thank which usually holds salt for 5-6 months. Everything else is automated through a Kinetico proprietary mechanism that seats on top of the two filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
So there's no computer on the Kinetico? How do you know when you need to add more salt or do whatever maintenance is required?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
The prices you've listed by are actually resonable. But those are low end softeners. Is a matter of personal preference granted you've done your home work.

I decided to go with Kinetico softener and it was 4K with install and everything.....
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the quoted cost. The Cadillacs of softeners will run about $3500-5000. I have a dual tank system, Fleck, and never run out of softwater. I installed the R/O unit myself, so that saved money too.

What I have is a commercial system, one you'd find at small offices, restaurants, and I will take it with me if I move. Once you get used to softwater, you will notice the lack of it anywhere.

Over the years I've had the cheap ones you find at the hardware stores, I went through three of those, plus two controllers at $250 a pop over a six year period. I've had my commercial system for about seven years now and have never had a problem, it's never failed. I even rebuilt the cylinder and replaced the brine valve, etc. a few months ago myself and saved hundreds of dollars on a service call. I add my own salt too, I guess having service would be nice there, but I only have to do it about every six wees, no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: