Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM

175 posts, read 369,673 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since the last post in this thread. We are still struggling with our water bills. We moved over a year ago from Pearland into the city and our water bills went up from no more than $100 in our old house to almost $500+ per month in the new one. We checked for leaks, got a plumbing company come out and check everything. Didn't help much. Thinking about a second water meter. I just checked our last bill and it shows a charge of $190 for water and $207 for sewer. How is that possible? Sewer is more than actual water usage? Would a second meter help? Anyone installed a second meter?

I wonder, Ruth3703, whether your situation has been resolved?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Why not call the utility company and ask them to explain the charges?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 PM

246 posts, read 894,927 times
water bill is higher than electric one..........I hate private water company

Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM

482 posts, read 874,544 times
Well water tastes excellent.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
I'm really glad our city only charges a flat rate for sewer, I think about 12 bucks a month.

It's been a long time, but if Ruth ever comes back to this post, an idea to save the trees: get a few 5 gallon buckets, and drill a small hole at the bottom, place a bucket at the base of each tree, and fill it with water twice a week. This will help keep all your trees alive.

If you were watering twice a week during the worst drought in the last 50 years, you were probably watering too much. I'm sure your yard looked great, but for a 800 a month water bill for 4 or 5 months, you could probably re-sod the entire yard for less.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:10 PM

175 posts, read 369,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Why not call the utility company and ask them to explain the charges?
I did. I called City of Houston and they told me that is what I used. They suggested me to check everything for leaks, which I did. They could not offer anything else. It's their word against mine, I guess.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
My son in law and I have been researching what it takes to get and install a 2nd meter for a sprinkler system in Texas City near Houston. I suspect what we've found might additionally apply to the gentleman who posted about filling his pool with 25k gallons of water but not sure.

First step is to get a permit to install the 2nd meter - but be aware, your helpful City Hall folks may not know the regulations by heart. Thanks to my S.I.L.'s research, he found the State of Texas code that allows a property owner to get the permit to purchase and install the system without having to hire a professional (this is *not* something everyone should try, but this is the 4th system I've done on my own properties or, in this case, with my S.I.L., so I'm pretty comfortable with all the things we have to do to make it safe for everyone) - though you are welcome to hire a professional who can install the meter, the backflow prevention hardware and tie it all together with your system. Here's the important Texas regulation that allows the property owner to do this :

Texas Administrative Code, Title 30, Part 1, Chapter 30, Subchapter D, Rule 30.129 (you can find this on the http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public website).
(b) The licensing requirements of this chapter do not apply to:
(1) irrigation or yard sprinkler work that is performed by a property owner in a building or on premises owned or occupied by the owner as the owner's home;

Because of that nifty wording, we are going down tomorrow to get the permit to purchase and install the 2nd meter. I strongly suspect from past experience that, once the meter is installed, we'll also have to get it inspected and verified by someone from the City. I'll post a follow-up if I learn anything different along the way...

Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMG View Post
My son in law and I have been researching what it takes to get and install a 2nd meter for a sprinkler system in Texas City near Houston. I suspect what we've found might additionally apply to the gentleman who posted about filling his pool with 25k gallons of water but not sure.

First step is to get a permit to install the 2nd meter - but be aware, your helpful City Hall folks may not know the regulations by heart. Thanks to my S.I.L.'s research, he found the State of Texas code that allows a property owner to get the permit to purchase and install the system without having to hire a professional (this is *not* something everyone should try, but this is the 4th system I've done on my own properties or, in this case, with my S.I.L., so I'm pretty comfortable with all the things we have to do to make it safe for everyone) - though you are welcome to hire a professional who can install the meter, the backflow prevention hardware and tie it all together with your system. Here's the important Texas regulation that allows the property owner to do this :

Texas Administrative Code, Title 30, Part 1, Chapter 30, Subchapter D, Rule 30.129 (you can find this on the http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public website).
(b) The licensing requirements of this chapter do not apply to:
(1) irrigation or yard sprinkler work that is performed by a property owner in a building or on premises owned or occupied by the owner as the owner's home;

Because of that nifty wording, we are going down tomorrow to get the permit to purchase and install the 2nd meter. I strongly suspect from past experience that, once the meter is installed, we'll also have to get it inspected and verified by someone from the City. I'll post a follow-up if I learn anything different along the way...
That piece of the Administrative code applies to the actual sprinkler system, not the water meter. Texas City requries meters to be installed by a licensed plumber. See code of ordinances http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/texascity_tx/titlevpublicworks/chapter50utilitiesgenerally?f=templates$fn=default .htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:texascity_tx$anc=JD_50.017

In addition, the meter becomes the property of the City.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM

234 posts, read 292,565 times
I made the mistake of getting a second water meter for my sprinklers several years ago, here in Houston. Don't do it.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Some time ago, if one lived in a MUD not the city, having two meters made sense in Kingwood at least where they had different rates for water going to the sewer vs water going on the lawn.. Not sure if that is the case anywhere in the metrro but if you are in a MUD it might be worth checking and not assuming the answer is the same in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston