Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

90 posts, read 130,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
seriously on your seriously? that's a pretty ignorant statement. now THIS particular house/location may not be worth $800k, but there are houses out in the "suburbs" that cost $5million+, and people like me would gladly pay more to be out there than in town.
I completely understand if someone wanted to build their dreamhouse and didn't have to worry about commuting. Investment wise it's not a great decision, the reason people live in the burbs to begin with is because they can't afford to live in the city. The land will always appreciate in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM

169 posts, read 428,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4life View Post
I completely understand if someone wanted to build their dreamhouse and didn't have to worry about commuting. Investment wise it's not a great decision, the reason people live in the burbs to begin with is because they can't afford to live in the city. The land will always appreciate in town.
wow. i completely disagree. i respect anyone's choice to want to live in town and realize it is my preference to not live in town. i understand land value is more and will appreciate more in town, but no body that buys a $1MM+ house in the suburbs or in the country is doing it because they cant afford to live in town. they are doing it because they choose NOT to live in town.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Really? 20 Minutes away? Are you joking? Try double that on a good day, triple that with inevitable traffic.
Drive it. I do every day. In rush hour it's less than 40 minutes door to door, and off peak it is 20.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
wow. i completely disagree. i respect anyone's choice to want to live in town and realize it is my preference to not live in town. i understand land value is more and will appreciate more in town, but no body that buys a $1MM+ house in the suburbs or in the country is doing it because they cant afford to live in town. they are doing it because they choose NOT to live in town.
Many people spending over a million in a Houston suburb do it because they can get twice as much house for their money.

A million doesn't get you far in the city & then you're often looking at private schools costing over 12k per kid annually.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Drive it. I do every day. In rush hour it's less than 40 minutes door to door, and off peak it is 20.
Right keep on dreaming buddy. You can do it in 20 going 100 on a lambo maybe.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Many people spending over a million in a Houston suburb do it because they can get twice as much house for their money.

A million doesn't get you far in the city & then you're often looking at private schools costing over 12k per kid annually.
A million goes pretty far actually in a place like Bellaire. You could get a 5k square foot house zoned to excellent schools without the need for private.

Those people spending a million in a suburb are capitalist pigs who believe that they need a 10k sf house to survive. Who really needs that much space.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
No. Some like privacy and comfort and don't want to be 20 feet from their neighbors.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,496 times
The traffic to Sienna is no worse than Cinco Ranch. I can't believe those all the way out there in Cinco are still saying that this area is so far. Depends on what you do, where you go, where your family lives. Great access to Texas Medical Center, Downtown, Galleria areas. 288 or 59. I remember as a child "Katy" kids teasing me about living in "Pearville" aka Pearland however look at the growth in this area. This side of town also boasts better access to our Gulf Coast beaches and activities. $800k is alot to spend period but it is all relative.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Right keep on dreaming buddy. You can do it in 20 going 100 on a lambo maybe.

....must not feed the troll.....must not feed the troll.....

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
....must not feed the troll.....must not feed the troll.....
Yes, he / she has no clue. I agree, you can get from SP to the Galleria in 20-25 minutes on a good day, rarely no more than double that otherwise in the worst of traffic.

Fort Bend Parkway-Post Oak-610 is usually the fastest route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston