U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:09 PM

150 posts, read 288,807 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is considering purchasing a home in Sienna Plantation. It is a custom home off of Sienna Ranch. She mentioned within Bees Creek. It is a Huntingdon home I believe. When she told me she and her husband's budget, I thought in this economy and the way the housing market is, I would not spend $800,000 on a home if I could afford that. The floor plans are nice and for some reason she is looking between 5,000 and 6,000 square footage for a family of three. I don't know much about Sienna, but have been on a drive through with her and it seems so far away in the middle of nowhere to me. I thought if she has to move, are there alot of buyers in Sienna for a $800,000 home? I am aware that some people are renting out their McMansions for several thousand dollars if they can't sell, but I am not sure how well that is going for people in this situation. I don't know the area and cannot give her advice, but would like to hear from anyone, who knows about the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 AM

90 posts, read 118,184 times
Seriously? 800k to live in the suburbs? Right now it's a buyers market so your friend will get a lot of house for the money but to spend that much for a house that far is completely idiotic.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 AM

2,931 posts, read 4,632,906 times
Sienna Plantation is really way out there in a master planned boondocks. If they want the community and amenities they should look at Cinco Ranch, Riverstone, etc.

You have to drive everywhere in Houston anyway but not having stuff just easily accessible is nuts. Highway 6 is where stuff is close by but that's still a good little piece of gas to get out of the neighborhood to stuff.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 AM

169 posts, read 408,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4life View Post
Seriously? 800k to live in the suburbs? Right now it's a buyers market so your friend will get a lot of house for the money but to spend that much for a house that far is completely idiotic.
seriously on your seriously? that's a pretty ignorant statement. now THIS particular house/location may not be worth $800k, but there are houses out in the "suburbs" that cost $5million+, and people like me would gladly pay more to be out there than in town.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 AM

9,019 posts, read 12,992,472 times
Anyone who thinks that Sienna is out in the boonies hasn't been there lately.

All the amenities that are available in Cinco are in Sienna, and with the Fort Bend Toll road, the Galleria is 20 minutes away.

Bee's Creek is all custom estate homes. $800K would put the home in the lower eschelon of the area. Most are pushing $1M.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 AM

3,106 posts, read 8,721,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
A friend of mine is considering purchasing a home in Sienna Plantation. It is a custom home off of Sienna Ranch. She mentioned within Bees Creek. It is a Huntingdon home I believe. When she told me she and her husband's budget, I thought in this economy and the way the housing market is, I would not spend $800,000 on a home if I could afford that. The floor plans are nice and for some reason she is looking between 5,000 and 6,000 square footage for a family of three. I don't know much about Sienna, but have been on a drive through with her and it seems so far away in the middle of nowhere to me. I thought if she has to move, are there alot of buyers in Sienna for a $800,000 home? I am aware that some people are renting out their McMansions for several thousand dollars if they can't sell, but I am not sure how well that is going for people in this situation. I don't know the area and cannot give her advice, but would like to hear from anyone, who knows about the area.
What does your friend like about Sienna? Does it impact their commute times? Resale is always a consideration - especially when buying an 800k house. Hopefully, they are doing their own due diligence. Do THEY mind being "...in the middle of nowhere..." or even think of this investment as being way out there?

As far as being in the middle of nowhere, at the entrance to Sienna my family uses the following:

HEB, PCP, pediatrician, eye doctor, pharmacy, urgent care, UPS Store, library, bank. I've heard rumors from postal workers that there are plans to open a USPS sub-station in Sienna. There are a number of restaurants popping up as well.

Within Sienna, we utilize the numerous parks, trails and playgrounds as well as the pools during summer hours. Our church is also here and the pre-k we're planning to put them into is walking distance from our house. Elementary and HS are about a mile from us while the middle school is about 2 miles away.

As for other stores (Target, Lowes, HD, OD, Hobby Lobby, a mall, etc...), it's 15-25 min away. Those drive times are comparable to anywhere else I've lived so the driving doesn't bother me. They will be cutting through SRR soon so your friends would have the option of utilizing 1 of 2 exits/entrances. They will also be a bit closer to Hwy 6 so not as long of a drive compared to other areas of Sienna.

Sienna isn't for everyone but the benefits for us personally outweigh the perception of it being out in the middle of nowhere (which, btw, was my view when my brother first brought me out here 6 yrs ago when I was visiting Houston).

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 AM

150 posts, read 288,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

All the amenities that are available in Cinco are in Sienna, and with the Fort Bend Toll road, the Galleria is 20 minutes away.

Bee's Creek is all custom estate homes. $800K would put the home in the lower eschelon of the area. Most are pushing $1M.
Wow $800k is the lower eschelon? I am afraid when she is ready to move there won't be a line of folks willing to buy this home due to the cost. I have heard that people who can't sell have to rent out their home for several thousand dollars. Many of us on this board can't afford $800k home. We can dream about it then there is the realty.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM

9,019 posts, read 12,992,472 times
Of Bee's Creek? Yes. Of Sienna as a whole, definitely not.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,524,175 times
That is a great section of Sienna. The custom home sales team sells homes in Riverstone and in Sienna..they are both Johnson Developments. They have been selling in there for years. Great area, with a lot of trees, good amenities, good location.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

90 posts, read 118,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Really? 20 Minutes away? Are you joking? Try double that on a good day, triple that with inevitable traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>