Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,342 times

Advertisements

chinese buffet = yesterdays left over mixed in with the meat in the fridge expiring today. you really have to go to places that has a high refresh rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I don't know that I would judge Houston' Asian dining experiences based on what you find on NASA Rd 1.
Totally agree. I've eaten at the good places in SF Chinatown and I can tell you there are places in Houston's Chinatown that are just as good.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda200 View Post
I used to live in Webster area. I remember a Chinese buffet with a HUGE selection and pretty good quality. It's at the corner of Bay Area Blvd. (passed BayBrook Mall mall ) and the street perpendicular to Bay Area Blvd. That street takes you to Friendswood area. I don't know whether it is still there or not.

I stopped eating Chinese in Houston after I got rotten meat from a restaurant on Nasa Rd. 1. When I paid, I told the guy there - he looked Vietnamese. Instead of offering a replacement or apology, he said nothing. I am in CA and the Chinese food here is superior to Houston's. In San Francisco, you really get great quality Chinese.
Nasa rd 1 is pretty far from chinatown

Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Where was that, King Food? I'm surprised that place has been there so long. East Star is down the road and is a pretty decent buffet, high refresh rate on weekends.

You can take a trip to Chinatown and park behind one of those restaurants where the shipping/receiving and dumpsters are. If you stay long enough you might find a back-room worker with a water hose, spraying down medium-sized wire cages they use for cats & dogs in animal shelters. Exotic!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 AM

115 posts, read 396,465 times
Chinese food are eaten with chopsticks for a reason! You take in a small amount of food at a time so you can savor the flavor....not hoarding loads at a time with forks and spoons...like in a typical buffet...where food are mass produced with minimum time and cost. By the way, good food does not have to be "upscale". There are many fine Chinese hole-in-the-wall places to eat where the food are excellent and prices are reasonable...and those places are usually frequented by Asians who really knows what Asian food should taste like. Oh...and each place usually has its own specialty and favorite known by the locals...and you only know it through the grave vines. Happy eating!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM

133 posts, read 268,422 times
I really like Wanchai Ferry stuff in the box kits. Just add chicken and you're good to go. Actually, I consider them more of a starter kit. I get extra veggies and cut them up to add with the box ingredients. Some of their stuff is pretty darn good. You can also add seasoning to taste. Nothing quite like the convenience of fresh stir fry in your own kitchen.

But I digress. The Oriental Gourmet in Clear Lake is pretty good. They have a few dishes that are excellent. Some blackened and spiced fish. Those are great. The shrimp with honey glaze are also very good. That place is on El Camino Real, just north of Bay Area Blvd.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I really like Wanchai Ferry stuff in the box kits. Just add chicken and you're good to go. Actually, I consider them more of a starter kit. I get extra veggies and cut them up to add with the box ingredients. Some of their stuff is pretty darn good. You can also add seasoning to taste. Nothing quite like the convenience of fresh stir fry in your own kitchen.

But I digress. The Oriental Gourmet in Clear Lake is pretty good. They have a few dishes that are excellent. Some blackened and spiced fish. Those are great. The shrimp with honey glaze are also very good. That place is on El Camino Real, just north of Bay Area Blvd.
Yes, the Oriental Gourmet was great, but unfortunately they are now closed...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM

111 posts, read 208,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda200 View Post
When I paid, I told the guy there - he looked Vietnamese. .
So him "looking" Vietnamese made the food rotten, or made him not care

Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Totally agree. I've eaten at the good places in SF Chinatown and I can tell you there are places in Houston's Chinatown that are just as good.
You mean just the lettuce? Sure.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM

111 posts, read 208,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
You mean just the lettuce? Sure.

To be fair, there are a bunch of really good traditional restaurants in china town in SW Houston (albeit some of them hole in the wall). I had a friend who moved here from China bring me to a few that I had never thought about frequenting and they had delicious, non-Americanized dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston