Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,471 times

Advertisements

I built a 3 ft tall picket fence in my front yard between my neighbor and myself. I put the fence inside my property by more than 6 inches, just to make sure there is no issue on whose fence it is. It used to be all white.

Over the weekend when I was out, my neighbor painted the outer side of the fence dark beige. It looks horrible now 1/2 white - 1/2 beige. She tells me that since it's facing her, she can paint it whatever color she wants without asking me. Can she do that? The fence is all on my property, I paid for it, I built it, I painted it.

I talked with her husband and he said he will repaint it white, but I doubt it. They will procrastinate.

I'll cut the thing down before I leave it looking like crap, and will put some ugly a$$ bushes.

Oh yeah, there is no HOA here, so it's between us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
She really can't legally do that.

However, it's not worth a law suit even though you're (rightfully) mad. Why not whip out a paint roller & paint over her paint job with the origional color?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:06 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Pretty gutsy of her, and I wonder where her husband was in all of this. If he acted like he knew she was wrong, then he seems to take "happy wife, happy life" to a new level! Maybe they thought you would just go along?

I guess if you want to maintain neighborly relations, then repaint it yourself. If you don't care, then buy the paint and take it over to the husband and let him pay for his wife's error.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
The fence build on your property is yours and your neighbor has no business to even touch it. They should repaint it. If they don't - the price of paint is not worth to argue. Just make sure they understand that's your property, not 50/50
Some Texas fence laws here:
Texas Laws on Property Disputes Between Neighbors - Free Legal Information - Nolo
Real Estate | Deed Restrictions | The Woodlands, Texas

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Whoah. They should not have stepped over the property line to change something on your property.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Sounds like vandalism to me. You could call the police. I'm not saying you should.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,471 times
Thanks for all comments, I thought that I was missing something, and I was even discussing taking the fence down to eliminate conflict.

But now, I'll wait and see if he paints it back white. If not I'll grab a bucket of paint and paint over it.

I "was" a good neighbor. My house is immaculate most of the time unlike many people in our neighborhood, so they do not have to live next to a ghetto house. I always helped them out, moved their furniture around in their house, took their garbage to the curb when they were gone, picked up stuff for them in my truck, and they go off and do this.

You know, if they asked first maybe we could come up with a compromise. But to tell me that I am in the wrong by even suggesting that she should not have been painting it, that's ridiculous. She actually argued with me that I should have asked her what color to paint it.

Screw that, no more Mr. nice guy. I will charge them $100 per hour next time they want something.

As far as the fence goes, it needs to be white again.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Wow. Looks like they confused your kindness for weakness. They probably thought they could paint it to their liking and you wouldn't say a word. I really can't believe someone would do that when you clearly placed the pickets inside your property line. I'm assuming that they don't have pickets on the other side of the yard, correct?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,344 times
put some barb wire on their side

Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,431 times
Before they painted the fence, did they know that it was all on your property? Maybe, that was how it started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston